Used XR400.. what to look for

Hello everyone. I'm a newb. This has brob been covered but... I'm buying a 2001 XR4 just wondering what to look for to make sure its in good shape. I'm buying it in the winter so won't be able to ride it much. Its gonna sit in my garage all winter so just wondering about winterizing?? And how do I keep it greased. Like swing arm, steering, chain ect.ect... any help would be great.

I think most of the issues (not that there were many) were iron'd out by 2001 so I'd say as long as the guy can get it started from cold in a couple of kicks you should be fine.

Check that he has greased the rear swing arm pivot and check yourself buy bouncing your weight on the back of the bike, make sure it bounces nice and free and isn't grinding or squeaking...

Check on here for the issue with the carb and the choke butterfly working loose on early models, worth keeping that in mind but like I say I think Honda may have sorted that out by 2001.

Someone here will tell you soon I reckon.

Everything else is just part of the normal checks really, make sure it looks like it's been well looked after and you are onto a winner.

Good luck with it. I was thinking about selling mine for a CRF but have decided against just today as those CRF's are high maintenance, delicate and uncomfy if you want to spend all day out on a trail....

XR's forever.....lol

Wow!! Thank you. The people on here are so nice and helpful. It has the pumper carb so I think we're good there. He said it starts first kick. I just hope its jetted right for all the mods it has. Welds grinded, snorkle removed, UNI filter, pumper carb and an FMF Q2. Comes with all stock parts as well. Extras are a tusk street kit, oil filters, has two sets of new tires, lower gear front sprocket, pro taper bars and after market hand guards. He wants 2500 $ for it. Sounds a little high but if its in great shape ill prob pay that. Its the only one around here.. I'm in northern Minnesota. Its gettin cold!!!!

is it plated ??

sounds good... good luck with the deal..

Wow!! Thank you. The people on here are so nice and helpful. It has the pumper carb so I think we're good there. He said it starts first kick. I just hope its jetted right for all the mods it has. Welds grinded, snorkle removed, UNI filter, pumper carb and an FMF Q2. Comes with all stock parts as well. Extras are a tusk street kit, oil filters, has two sets of new tires, lower gear front sprocket, pro taper bars and after market hand guards. He wants 2500 $ for it. Sounds a little high but if its in great shape ill prob pay that. Its the only one around here.. I'm in northern Minnesota. Its gettin cold!!!!

I would buy that baby at the drop of a hat at that price in the UK, I know we pay a little more over here to start with but I paid more than that for a bone stock one...It was virtually "out the box" condition though with only 1400 miles on the clock from memory...

That will be quite oa powerful unit with all those mods and you will have no trouble with those puddles ;-)))

is it plated ??

sounds good... good luck with the deal..

yes it is! Thanks guys!!

I would buy that baby at the drop of a hat at that price in the UK, I know we pay a little more over here to start with but I paid more than that for a bone stock one...It was virtually "out the box" condition though with only 1400 miles on the clock from memory...

That will be quite oa powerful unit with all those mods and you will have no trouble with those puddles ;-)))

great! Thanks for the info.

That is a good deal for the mods and the plate for sure. A stock one in super clean condition might cost 2K but to put all that stuff on is another grand.

Check for rust holes in the frame around the kick stand, they were quite common for having the frame & kick stand bend there from trying to start them after falling over & flooding

Check for rust holes in the frame around the kick stand, they were quite common for having the frame & kick stand bend there from trying to start them after falling over & flooding

oh ok. Thanks, ill def check that out!

I'm getting the bike today!!! Ill send pics soon!!! So pumped!!!!

I'm getting the bike today!!! Ill send pics soon!!! So pumped!!!!

here she is!!!

1384043996327.jpg

1384044013956.jpg

1384044035146.jpg

1384044063251.jpg

1384044092686.jpg

1384044107185.jpg

1384044127547.jpg

1384044144735.jpg

1384044165763.jpg

1384044179677.jpg

1384044198956.jpg