Sign in to follow this  

Any of you guys see a problem with this?

I have used Pro-x with good results, I believe they are actually OEM for Kawi.  Yes, measure the diameter of the bore, or the old piston.  A bike shop should have the tools to do it.  If there are numbers stamped on the top of the old piston, look them up on the web to see if you can match up what size it is.

I have used Pro-x with good results, I believe they are actually OEM for Kawi. Yes, measure the diameter of the bore, or the old piston. A bike shop should have the tools to do it. If there are numbers stamped on the top of the old piston, look them up on the web to see if you can match up what size it is.

Can i just measure with a digital dial caliper?

You can measure the piston and it will be close enough to tell you if you're a stock bore or not. The differences will be a full 1 or 2 mm from stock specs if it was bored.

Also, ProX is a very good kit. A friend of mine who builds alot of engines swears by ProX and of course OEM. I like Vertex, personally.

Edited by SAPPERS

You can measure the piston and it will be close enough to tell you if you're a stock bore or not. The differences will be a full 1 or 2 mm from stock specs if it was bored.

Also, ProX is a very good kit. A friend of mine who builds alot of engines swears by ProX and of course OEM. I like Vertex, personally.

Everyone goes by mm. Am i missin somethin or do u just convert from inches to mm

If you have digital calipers then they have either metric or standard push button for which ever you are measuring for.

O haha i dont have it in front of me so sorry. And about plating. Kawasakis cylinders are plated right? How do i know if i need a replate. The bike blew up at 60 hrs so it was pretty textbook

O haha i dont have it in front of me so sorry. And about plating. Kawasakis cylinders are plated right? How do i know if i need a replate. The bike blew up at 60 hrs so it was pretty textbook

Is it already off/...Post a good picture for us... but you can tell when plating is bad. You will see the duller colored aluminum where plating is worn off....usually starts around the exhaust and intake ports.

If you can still see crosshatch on the jug..it is in very good condition. 

Also if you are not sure it is still  plated or it has been steel sleeved....take a magnet and see if it sticks to the cylinder wall. 

Edited by Blackwoodz

Um no i havent compression tested cause i dont have one but the bike wont run and i can kick the bike with my hand very fast im pretty sure the top ends blown up. It happened half way through a 3 hour ride. Alltho I did a finger comp. test and my finger made a popping sound so maybe i can do just rings?

Also, NEVER just get rings for an unknown piston. The only way to buy rings is to:

1.  Buy a set the same time you buy the piston. That way you know you have the correct set.

or

2. You, yourself, know exactly what piston is in there.

• Like 1