Bike for 14 yr old son

I started him riding 8 yrs ago with a XR 50, then a TTR90 then a KLX 140 (small wheel). The last couple years though he's not been on a bike as he's really just not into it. But the rest of the family is so we're looking at getting him another one so we can all ride together. That all being said, I'm looking at a TTR 125L or a CRF 150. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Honda but I think the 150 is a pretty solid bike. What I want to know is, which is really the better option of those two, to me it seems the CRF has a better platform and will be enough of a bike to last for several years.

Also, I did look at a '04 last night and it felt really gutless, not sure if that's normal for these or are they just really wussy bikes?

Yes trail riding 90% just a little track riding to mix it up on occasion. He's your average sized 14yr old boy, kinda on the small side if anything. He did sit on the CRF and both feet can touch the ground, not flat footing but balls of feet touching. I really have no clue what he weighs but I know he's kinda small for his age group.

IMO, I "think" the CRF is a more capable bike but I really don't know, but I prefer Yamaha to Honda.  

Have you thought about a 2 stroke at all?

Yes but those 85's are really just harder to ride slow than a small bore 4t. He's not at all an aggressive rider and I really just don't think one would suit him all that well.

The 150r isn't too good of a choice. It is more for aggressive riders, and it requires a lot more maintenance. The 150f is a good choice, but it is quite heavy.

True but it's good to maintain any bike like that though. I see your point though. It's also lighter then the 150f. However depending on your budget. The 150f would be ideal. They made the r model in 2007 so it will be more expensive.

Ya I don't want the R and to be honest I'm not even sure I can stomach owning a Honda, but this is mostly b/c I hate the color of the bike more than anything and that can be changed.

This bike I'm looking at has been owned by an older guy and is an '04, not sure on the hours. He's asking $1200 which I think is pretty fair?

haha, Ya he'd never ride a yellow bike and I'd prefer the Honda over one of those as well. Honestly he's really not even into this so I'm trying to find something that he can ride and that he will enjoy riding and not be deterred by anything. 

I'm not sure what an averaged sized 14 year old is these days....they seem to be getting bigger and bigger every year. A crf250x is a great bike for anybody 5'6 or bigger. When I was 14 I could have railed on one but I was pretty little....I'm 5'8 now, in my 40's. My nephew is "challenged" and he rode my 250x just fine @14 but he's almost my height. I wouldn'd bother with a 150 or 230.

Well I found out last night he's around 110lbs and I know he's around 5' 4" so ya pretty small for a 14 yr old. He's also been a very passive rider in the past and I think he might find the 125cc 2t way to much of a bike and the 85 to be kinda tough to ride as the power is either on or completely off. Though, I really don't like these heavy small bore 4t bikes all that much. This really is a PITA to find the right bike to fit his size and personality..

Well I found out last night he's around 110lbs and I know he's around 5' 4" so ya pretty small for a 14 yr old. He's also been a very passive rider in the past and I think he might find the 125cc 2t way to much of a bike and the 85 to be kinda tough to ride as the power is either on or completely off. Though, I really don't like these heavy small bore 4t bikes all that much. This really is a PITA to find the right bike to fit his size and personality..

Im 14 5'4 and 114lbs, get a a RM or KX 85, they have powervalves.

You guys think the small bore 2 strokes are like 500's, they arent. Kids learn stuff like this very quick. Stop babying them. My stepson went from a KE100 to a RM125. Hardest part was the height of the bike. They know how far they can go with the throttle, espescially since your boy has been riding before.

Edited by Jeekinz
  • Like 1

I was very keen to get into riding and I bought a 150f when I turned 14, thinking it wouldn't be too hard to ride, good learner bike etc. but I now have just turned 15 and im on a rmz250 because there wasn't enough power for me on the 150f, im not a cautious rider, however I don't go crazy fast so id suggest definitely bigger than a ttr125 because he will grow out of it really quickly. He should get taller soon, i grew 18cm last year, if you get him a 150f, you might be selling it pretty soon for a bigger one