Sign in to follow this  

Rough suspension in the woods

Hi all, I just raced my first harescramble and the suspension on my 05 yz125 just didn't seem to want to work with me in the trails, or any small bumps for that matter. But on the few jumps on the motocross section the route included, my suspension worked fine when jumping. My question is, what can be done to increase small bump compliance without breaking the bank? It's really just the forks that are the problem, the rear shock is pretty close and I believe I can get it to work with just some simple tuning. I've never truly worked on or tuned suspension, other than setting the sag and playing with the clickers. I'm a 155lb top 3 C class rider.

Hey,

the 05 kyb forks have some problems which need some attention.

You can search the forum for more information.

Besides that, you also need a revalve for woods.

If you can do your own suspension, I can provide you some stacks to try if you want to.

Hey,

the 05 kyb forks have some problems which need some attention.

You can search the forum for more information.

Besides that, you also need a revalve for woods.

If you can do your own suspension, I can provide you some stacks to try if you want to.

I probably can't do the suspension work myself, I just don't think I have proper tools to do so. Would it be cheaper to buy a revalve kit and drop them off at a local shop and let them do just the installation of the valves or should I let a company such as race tech do all the work? Sorry for sounding like such a newb, suspension just isn't my thing.

Maybe you should just  send them to a reputable suspension tuner. 

Or even better, maybe there is one in your area. 

I see that you're in southeast VA, I am as well. Chad at Total Control in Burlington, NC is an awesome guy to work with and does great work. Most of the racers in District 13, VCHSS, and VXCS get their stuff done by him

I see that you're in southeast VA, I am as well. Chad at Total Control in Burlington, NC is an awesome guy to work with and does great work. Most of the racers in District 13, VCHSS, and VXCS get their stuff done by him

Thanks! I'll have to look into that, I'm played with it this weekend and it seems to work way better, although I made the mistake of riding a MX track with the suspension softened up... oops

You should still be able to ride an mx track fine with your woods suspension, it may not be the best but you should be able to do it. Remember that we have scrambles that include mx such as NCMP and VMP. You ever ride at slades?

You should still be able to ride an mx track fine with your woods suspension, it may not be the best but you should be able to do it. Remember that we have scrambles that include mx such as NCMP and VMP. You ever ride at slades?

Its not my favorite place to ride but yes I've been. It just likes to bottom out on anything more than about 30 feet

Oh slades sucks ass, but it's a few minutes away from my house so it's convenient. Do you live near south suffolk? I know of a private supercross track that's 1.25 miles long and nicely groomed

I live in new Kent, still learning my way on mx tracks. I ride at a place called Roberts track and trail over in saluda/Gloucester

I thought Roberts was shut down? When did it open back up?

I'm not sure, I've only been riding there since April, but they're open once every weekend and they usually tell when a few days prior on their Facebook page (which you can google if you don't have a fb) they've done A TON of work to the track and it's not bad, I was there yesterday. Here's a couple shots from thereImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383521603.721277.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383521617.487030.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383521629.894940.jpg

No problem! I'm #23L if you ever see me out there, usually in the last few hours before closing, hopefully I'll be out there more often.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383525918.834997.jpg