Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning your bikes

SoCal riders pretty much all ride the same type of terrain so our toys get dirty about the same. Question... How often do you clean your bike? What do you clean it with? Does it matter?

I'm not asking about regular maintenance. Just cleaning.

I clean my bike after almost every ride/weekend.  I use the hose, some Dawn and a scrub brush, and WD40 for spooge removal.  I like having a clean bike and like giving it a once over where if there is a crack, leak, missing/loose bolt, hopefully I'll catch it soon vs. having it get worse hidden under the mess.

• Like 1

I clean it after every outing (anywhere from 1 to 4 days usually) and it gets an oil change and air filter service too if I am on trips more than 1 day I bring a couple of clean air filters to swap out every day for a fresh one (2-stroke) 

• Like 2

2 posts and this thread is already doomed with off topic banter . . . way to go SpeedFreek . . . just couldn't leave the maintainence out of it and had to talk about oil and filters . . . geez . . . scoundrels around here. ;)

Edited by schmo
  • Like 4

1. Plug exhaust.

2. If muddy, rinse layer of mud off. Kerosene and toothbrush to scrub chain and sprockets. If just dusty/dirty, start with number 3.

3. Spray SHOUT to wet-soak everything but the seat fabric. Let it soak a few minutes, but don't let it dry out. Get SHOUT by the gallon at COSTCO for cheap.

4. Rinse gently.

5. Soft brush with bucket of water and car wash soap. Rinse again.

6. Remove plug. Ride around block to dry out real good.

7. ArmorAll plastics and lube chain.

Edited by Aaron8
  • Like 2

Good stuff so far. I used to use Dawn for soap, now I just use Rainx car wash. I hear guys talk about Shout but I don't know anything about it .

Arron I saw you wrote " stream of water " I think that might be a much overlooked technical point! My thinking says a hard stream of water can push dirt and grit in seals, bearings, and places it just shouldn't be!

I always finish off with a coat of Pledge.

wash-gl-small.jpg

Mr Moto wash

All ya gotta do is wet the bike,  mix a little of this in a garden sprayer

with water , spray all over bike , hose off and crack a beer if you haven't  

already , towel dry and then run bike till residual water steams of engine.

It works awesome without scrubbing. 

About 20 bucks at Cycle Gear for the gallon and I get about 20 or more

washes per gallon. 

Edit :   These instructions may only work on Norcal dirt and mud .

Edited by still2smokin
  • Like 1

Put it on the stand and give it a light spray down with the hose, no power washer. By the time I go get my bottle of diluted degreaser (stuff from Costco works well) the water has loosened up that heavy DG sand/mud from the local tracks..

I only spray the motor and rear hub sprocket side... .. let it marinate for a few minutes, usually the oil and chain lube grime is ready to be sprayed off pretty quickly.. I use a light soapy water for the plastics....

Usually ride it for a few and drag the front/rear brakes .. Maybe throw in a wheelie for the neighbor kids who by this time are out watching with much disapproval from their non-riding moms and daddys who wished they could throw a one handed wheelie in crocs.. before you safety Nazis say anything ive been doing wheelies before the mono shock was invented ..

I don't use a power washer as I am under the impression it can damage things and blow your bitchen graphics right off your shrouds !!

oh, also if you spray that degreaser on a paper towel pretty generously and then wipe the under side of your front/rear fenders it really helps the build during riding,,don't do for desert , just over watered tracks... :ride:

Edited by regul8or
  • Like 4

Hose, dawn, hose, dry.

Four words.. Four syllables in total..  Nice, sure you wouldn't like to elaborate on how it is exactly you dry it...... I mean do you really actually dry it with some sort of fabric or is it more of a 65 mph wind that comes from 5th gear.... Maybe a pic of this said drying ??

j/k Darrell...

• Like 2

I usually use a micro fiber towel to dust it off. It works well and I only have to do it every couple months!

• Like 1

After every ride, 'chemical brothers' 'Big Pink' commercial auto wash in a pressure sprayer, idle till dry motor, wd-40 all the exposed moving parts, coat of chain wax on the chain, run carb dry, put on the stand, and wait till the next ride.

It's not a KTM, so I don't have to look for broken or loose bolts or parts.

• Like 4

I tend to wipe the bike down with windex on a towel rather than dunk it in water if it's just light dust and grime. WD anything that could rust.

When I do put water on the machine I use a small pressure washer... I just don't blast the graphics, chain and seals. You can adjust the nozzle to a mist where needed. And you use a fraction of the water on the bike. Ajax dish soap works great for degreasing. WD anything that could rust. Hit dry clean plastics with Mop-N-Glo floor sealer. Makes plastics shiney... hides smaller scratches... drys like a shell and is never tacky to attracts new dirt.

• Like 2