Sign in to follow this  

Rode 2013 300XC today- questions

I race a YZ250F in the B class in Texas Enduros, went out for some practice yesterday with a fast buddy who has a well sorted 300 with very trick suspension (we are the same weight). 

Its kind of hard to express what my question is but if anyone out there has experienced the sensation you'll know what I mean:  the bike felt like a big, long, ironing board. It was like riding a horse (I'm 6'2" and 200lbs). 

Other recent model XC 2 strokes have felt this way to me, has anyone else felt this way?

Don't get me wrong, I was flying on this thing-the power was incredible for the tight, rocky terrain we were in-it just felt so weird. 

I'm thinking about going back to a 2t, I raced an 08 250 XCW for several seasons but never did care for the suspension on that bike, even after several revalves. I'm leaning towards getting a 200 but haven't ridden one yet. 

The 300's footpegs vibrated like crazy too. 

Anyway, it just felt strange as hell and I am curious if others have felt this and gotten used to it/liked it after some time on the bike. Hope this makes sense. 

I came from a '11 KX450 to a '12 250XC. I won't go back to a 4 stroke. The vibration in the pegs must be a 300 thing. Never experienced this in my 250. The XC feels slim compared to a 4 stroke. My 250 lugs pretty good off the bottom and I rarely use the clutch except in tight situations.

I have a '12 300 xc, before that a gas gas 300...the gg was a better overall package for the woods, when you talk about handling and ergos.

I currently ride with 4 guys that have the beta 300, I road the 13' and 14' model, all I can say is "wow"  with a sag and clicker adjustments, I was faster on it than my ktm, I had more control and confidence at speeds, very impressed with the overall package.

I could race the 14' stock with little set-up. 

The bike did everything well, corning, suspension was very close to what I like, motor was awsome, ergos were good, the bike felt shorter and a little more compact...like the gg.

If I decide to get a new scoot next year, it will be a beta 300.

the bike felt like a big, long, ironing board. It was like riding a horse (I'm 6'2" and 200lbs). 

Other recent model XC 2 strokes have felt this way to me, has anyone else felt this way?

If your coming directly off a Japanese bike, KTM's "feel" this way ... I like the iron board analogy.

The pre-10 bikes felt REALLY flat .... like you were sitting "on" the bike rather than "in" the bike.

THe newer model geometry mimics the Japanese bikes, so they feel much closer.

You will eventually get used to either, and as many people will tell you KTM's are VERY sensitive to geometry changes (sliding the forks up or down has big effects on handling).

Cool, just wondered if I was the only one who found these bikes to feel strange. I'm open to Betas (I owned a 2010 450RR-but sold it as it was too much bike for the tight enduros ) but I've got several friends who own KTM stores, there's so much support for them here. Theres a good GG dealer here too, and I like those bikes, other than the fact that they are ponderously heavy. They have a 2013 GG 200 on the floor, damn thing feels like it weighs as much as the 450XCW sitting next to it. 

Cool, just wondered if I was the only one who found these bikes to feel strange. I'm open to Betas (I owned a 2010 450RR-but sold it as it was too much bike for the tight enduros ) but I've got several friends who own KTM stores, there's so much support for them here. Theres a good GG dealer here too, and I like those bikes, other than the fact that they are ponderously heavy. They have a 2013 GG 200 on the floor, damn thing feels like it weighs as much as the 450XCW sitting next to it. 

Know what you mean, I bought a ktm because I worked at a dealership...but to be honest, I'm not thrilled with my bike overall,

The motor is great but the handling and suspension (for tight woods) kinda sucks.

I have noticed that the 300 feels a lot bigger and longer than the 250.  I never thought that 50cc would make such a difference but it's there.  

which bike are you on?

If your asking me?  a 12'300 xc.

The ktm is not nearly as good as my last bike, which was a set-up 08' GG 300...except for the motor.

Riding the Beta felt much like the GG except better in every way!   

" just being honest"  and that's MHO

Bought an 11 Gasser 300 today WHOOOT!

Gotta get things thing calmed down, the previous owner has it set up to hit like a motocrosser- its absolutely brutal. 

Bought an 11 Gasser 300 today WHOOOT!

Gotta get things thing calmed down, the previous owner has it set up to hit like a motocrosser- its absolutely brutal. 

If you take any advice at all "PLEASE" take this....send out the suspension to les at LT racing.

The stock suspension is a major problem on the bike and the only way to fix it is internally by some one who knows sachs.

Les is the best and his prices are reasonable.

I rode 3 bikes that he did and they were awesome, fast, plush but firm, great handling and predictable.

Right now the bike is only 1/2 as good as could or should be, once you get the suspension done you will love the GG.

If you take any advice at all "PLEASE" take this....send out the suspension to les at LT racing.

The stock suspension is a major problem on the bike and the only way to fix it is internally by some one who knows sachs.

Les is the best and his prices are reasonable.

I rode 3 bikes that he did and they were awesome, fast, plush but firm, great handling and predictable.

Right now the bike is only 1/2 as good as could or should be, once you get the suspension done you will love the GG.

I appreciate the advice, I know who Les is. One of the reasons I bought the bike was that it is already sprung for my weight and had both ends gone through by Factory Connection. I'm hoping they got it right, but I am picky about suspension on my bikes. If it doesn't work well I'll get it redone.