Sign in to follow this  

Engine Vibration

Hey guys. I have a 2000 DRZ400S. I bought the bike needing work. It had compression problems. I disassembled the top end and found a blown head gasket and bad rings. I replaced the piston, rings, wristpin, top end gaskets, and the spark plug. I also had the exhaust valves replaced. The bike runs great and I'm having a lot of fun with it. My concern is.there's a vibration coming from the engine that seems to be happening mid throttle. It's not present at low rpms and I'm pretty sure its not present at high rpms. Speed doesnt seem to be a factor but engine load does seem to be a factor. I can feel the vibration mostly through the seat and the engine has an echo type sound and seems to bog down a little when this occurs. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Hey guys. I have a 2000 DRZ400S. I bought the bike needing work. It had compression problems. I disassembled the top end and found a blown head gasket and bad rings. I replaced the piston, rings, wristpin, top end gaskets, and the spark plug. I also had the exhaust valves replaced. The bike runs great and I'm having a lot of fun with it. My concern is.there's a vibration coming from the engine that seems to be happening mid throttle. It's not present at low rpms and I'm pretty sure its not present at high rpms. Speed doesnt seem to be a factor but engine load does seem to be a factor. I can feel the vibration mostly through the seat and the engine has an echo type sound and seems to bog down a little when this occurs. Any ideas on what is causing this?

To start with, have you done all the loctite fixes?

Did you ride it before the top end rebuild?

Did you replace the cam chain, has it still got the ACCT?

I might be on the wrong track but can you confirm which carb and jetting you have?

Mine vibrates but i likeit makes me horny when im riding M8 ;)

Win haha.

Are you used to single cylinders? I came off a few inline four sportbikes and the drz isn't as smooth

On a seroius note its a dirt bike. Its not going to be smooth.. Or comfortable , mine vibrates but at like 80mph whats normal?

I havent done any of the loctite fixes. I rode it briefly before the rebuild and dont recall whether or not it had this noise. It did have a knocking noise which is now gone. I reused the cam chain. I checked it against the specs wear timing chain wear in the factory manual and it checked out good. It has a manual cam chain tensioner on it. The carb is an Ikuni and the jetting is as follows: main jet-142.5, pilot jet-22.5, the other jet, which I'm assuming is slow or cruise is 02.5. The mixture screw is 2.75 turns out. I dont think the vibration is coming from the wheels because speed has no influence on the noise. Also, the vibration is coming from the center of the bike and when it happens, the engine sounds different and boggs down slightly, almost like the opposite of a power band. I've riden dirtbikes all my life, although this is the first 4 stroke I've ever had. Thanks for all the feedback

I havent done any of the loctite fixes. I rode it briefly before the rebuild and dont recall whether or not it had this noise. It did have a knocking noise which is now gone. I reused the cam chain. I checked it against the specs wear timing chain wear in the factory manual and it checked out good. It has a manual cam chain tensioner on it. The carb is an Ikuni and the jetting is as follows: main jet-142.5, pilot jet-22.5, the other jet, which I'm assuming is slow or cruise is 02.5. The mixture screw is 2.75 turns out. I dont think the vibration is coming from the wheels because speed has no influence on the noise. Also, the vibration is coming from the center of the bike and when it happens, the engine sounds different and boggs down slightly, almost like the opposite of a power band. I've riden dirtbikes all my life, although this is the first 4 stroke I've ever had. Thanks for all the feedback

Do your loctite fixes, that will eliminate any issues there.

Just a couple of things, neither related but.

Has the needle been shimmed, I'm thinking along the lines of too rich and causing a bog and the engine is not happy.

Have you checked all the engine mounts are tight and the frame has no cracks, being a 2000 model it might be showing it's age.

Edited by Black_DRZ