Sign in to follow this  

Washington Anyone in the Winlock area?

Just seeing who is in my area. I'd like to get to know some of the local riders!

A little info about myself:

Never really ridden with anyone else. Would like to start.

I'm in my mid 30s, been riding since I was 12 or so, most of it has been on the street though.

I have a 2001 KTM 300 2 stroke for the dirt. I've probably only put 15 hours on it total. Still getting used to it. 

I'm no expert, I ride trails only, I don't jump, I really don't have anything to compare myself to experience wise since I don't ride with anyone else and have never competed.

My big concern riding with a group is being too slow and holding everyone up, or people getting frustrated with me.

Edit ------------

Oh yeah and my truck has been down for a new engine and tranny for about a year, so I haven't been out riding this last season. Sad about that.

Edited by ripsnorter

I am out of Napavine. I also ride mostly trails (National Forest) and some occasional desert (desert 100) but am not a hard core competitor. At 43 I don't tend to bounce as well as I used to but I can still handle some pretty difficult trails. I don't ride much this time of year though and will probably crank back up in March with a weekend trip to Mattawa to get ready for the Desert 100.

I am out of Napavine. I also ride mostly trails (National Forest) and some occasional desert (desert 100) but am not a hard core competitor. At 43 I don't tend to bounce as well as I used to but I can still handle some pretty difficult trails. I don't ride much this time of year though and will probably crank back up in March with a weekend trip to Mattawa to get ready for the Desert 100.

It's pretty late in the year for me as well, although the past few days have still been nice.

Do you ride by yourself or with others?

Both. My riding buddy lives on Boistfort (he grew up in Winlock). There isn't any "legal" OHV area in our vicinity as you likely know so around here you either trailer it to Capitol Forest, GPNF or watch over your shoulder in the logging company property near by.

I'm from Vancouver, but willing to drive up north to ride.  I have never ridden in Capitol Forest/GPNF, and would love to tag along with someone who does.  I have mostly ridden at Jones Creek (WA) and Browns Camp (TSF/OR).  I grew up racing MX until I was about 17, then didn't get on a bike again until a couple of years ago, but haven't really had the time to go as often as I would like.  I haven't been out this year either, due to family obligations.  I am definitely a slower rider, so would probably like to join the same groups you would be joining.

Hey welcome to the party Zondebok! I think 3 or 4 of us would be a great sized outing. Come spring we'll have to get together. No reason we can't get together sooner though, Papa Pete's Pizza in Castle Rock makes the best pizza I know of anywhere. it would be nice to meet and introduce ourselves.

As to places to ride, I know of one area not far from me that I believe is legal, as they have signs out about camping okay, clean up your fires, etc. It's probably several hundred acres in size. It butts up against a weyerhauser type property though. I don't like to trespass to ride, as I have private property of my own and want to do unto others as I'd have done unto myself, but I believe it's a small legal area.

Anyone else want to join the club?

I'm from Vancouver, but willing to drive up north to ride.  I have never ridden in Capitol Forest/GPNF, and would love to tag along with someone who does.  I have mostly ridden at Jones Creek (WA) and Browns Camp (TSF/OR).  I grew up racing MX until I was about 17, then didn't get on a bike again until a couple of years ago, but haven't really had the time to go as often as I would like.  I haven't been out this year either, due to family obligations.  I am definitely a slower rider, so would probably like to join the same groups you would be joining.

Capitol Forest is really not a great place to introduce yourself to the single track in S.W.WA.   In reality it is 90% crappy beat to sh##$ quad trails.  GPNF has some great trails - some easy and some will make you work your @# off but each provides its own reward from the beauty of the area.  Hamilton Butte remains one of my favorite trails of all time even though the last 500 feet of elevation gain make you wonder why are even there only to be reminded by the 360* vista you get when you reach the top making you say "oh yeah, that was worth it".  The fact is, each of those trails gets easier and easier each time you go but you have to earn that by doing it the first time.

I am game for a joint ride as well and let's face it - Pappa Pete's makes the best pizza on the planet!.  The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Blind Stroker

Capitol will be closed soon, if not already. Tahuya offers some great winter riding, if you're inclined to travel a bit. Lots & lots of single-track. Lots of TTr's(the diehards) winter at Tahuya, as well as Walker Valley(my personal fav). Tahuya's a great place to get lost, if not with someone in the know or a good map/GPS. Most ride on Saturdays...I generally ride on Sundays(less people + I work on Sat.).

I live in the greater Seattle area. So anything is a truck ride away for me. I also own an old but well maintained 2000 KTM 300 that crawls over anything. It's old, and so am I, but I seem to stay at the front of the pack.

Some areas close for the winter, but Tahuya stays open and it gets very wet. So learn to gear up accordingly and put a trials tire on the rear of that 300.

I race vintage motocross at least monthly, and I also like to get out on the trails. But finding someone to go with, when my schedule works is at times, difficult, so I joined this meetup group. There are several different rider paces, so can find your speed. There are newbies and faster racer types and we have a forum to sort that out.

http://www.meetup.com/Pacific-Northwest-Dirtbikers/

DAve

Capitol Forest is really not a great place to introduce yourself to the single track in S.W.WA.   In reality it is 90% crappy beat to sh##$ quad trails.  GPNF has some great trails - some easy and some will make you work your @# off but each provides its own reward from the beauty of the area.  Hamilton Butte remains one of my favorite trails of all time even though the last 500 feet of elevation gain make you wonder why are even there only to be reminded by the 360* vista you get when you reach the top making you say "oh yeah, that was worth it".  The fact is, each of those trails gets easier and easier each time you go but you have to earn that by doing it the first time.

I am game for a joint ride as well and let's face it - Pappa Pete's makes the best pizza on the planet!.  The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

I'm generally game to give whatever a try (Not a fan of the "goat trail" type things with a huge dropoff on one side...), but I want to make sure people understand my current skill level going in.  I don't want to be holding anyone back that was looking for a fast, intense ride, mostly.

Like Blind Stroker said, I live out in Boistfort, you're  more than welcome to ride with us. We were going to the poker run run in Mattawa the first weekend in November but he effed that  up and schedule something else for us to do  :thumbsup:. I have the week off and found out yesterday my starter is out on the 450x so I will be in shop today dismantling the bike to get to it. Stop by if you have nothing going on. 186 Lake Creek Road, take King Road over the hill from you, last road on the right.

Edited by jimmy88

Capitol will be closed soon, if not already. Tahuya offers some great winter riding, if you're inclined to travel a bit. Lots & lots of single-track. Lots of TTr's(the diehards) winter at Tahuya, as well as Walker Valley(my personal fav). Tahuya's a great place to get lost, if not with someone in the know or a good map/GPS. Most ride on Saturdays...I generally ride on Sundays(less people + I work on Sat.).

Will have to be Saturdays for me, or occasionally during the week. 

Hey great, lots of great guys it sounds like.

I'd be game for going for some late season riding, but I'm out of the running until I get my truck back on the road. Unless someone is coming through that I can hitch a ride for me and my bike on. Of course I can share gas.

I have to agree about Capital Forest. i rode it one time and was very disappointed to have spent time and gas getting up there for what I got out of it.

I'm generally game to give whatever a try (Not a fan of the "goat trail" type things with a huge dropoff on one side...), but I want to make sure people understand my current skill level going in.  I don't want to be holding anyone back that was looking for a fast, intense ride, mostly.

I'm in the same boat. I don't want to hold people up.

As for the trials tire on my 300, I've already bought one, just haven't mounted it yet!

Would you guys be able to get together this Friday evening or Saturday Evening at Papa Pete's in Castle Rock? As Blind Stroker says, best pizza there is!

I used to live in Toledo but now live in Centralia. I recently picked up a kx 125 project bike that I will finish rebuilding next year and will be open to ride. I used to ride and race quite a bit but it's always fun finding new people to ride with. Would anyone be interested in night riding next summer? Also, between winlock and longview on Westside HWy there is a legal place to ride off of Casey Road. Used to go there after school all the time. I wouldn't plan a day trip there but if you want to ride some evening after work that's a great place to go.

I used to live in Toledo but now live in Centralia. I recently picked up a kx 125 project bike that I will finish rebuilding next year and will be open to ride. I used to ride and race quite a bit but it's always fun finding new people to ride with. Would anyone be interested in night riding next summer? Also, between winlock and longview on Westside HWy there is a legal place to ride off of Casey Road. Used to go there after school all the time. I wouldn't plan a day trip there but if you want to ride some evening after work that's a great place to go.

That's the place I was referring to that I go. It has a few fun places and it's closer than the 2 hour drives to anywhere else. I'll be up for next summer riding!!

So, how about Papa Pete's this Friday or saturday evening?