Sign in to follow this  

WHat weight oil should I run in my crf450r

I mostly ride tight single track and some fire roads, but the ambient temperature is usually around 15*C. But bike always is working hard

Not what, but how often. 5-15 hour oil change intervals depending on dust levels.

Stay away from all automotive oils for the transmission, and use whatever you like in the engine.

Many guys have no problem running the cheapest Shell Rotella 20/50 from Walmart.

I prefer to use motorcycle specific oils like Golden Spectro, Torco, etc.

You cannot go wrong following the Service Manual recommendations.

Edited by Krannie

Not what, but how often. 5-15 hour oil change intervals depending on dust levels.

Stay away from all automotive oils for the transmission, and use whatever you like in the engine.

Many guys have no problem running the cheapest Shell Rotella 20/50 from Walmart.

I prefer to use motorcycle specific oils like Golden Spectro, Torco, etc.

You cannot go wrong following the Service Manual recommendations.

I change my oil religiously, was just told by a parts guy that I should be running 15-40w but I shrugged at him and bought the motul 20-50w that was in my hand

Thanks brad

On the engine side I use Liqui Moly Racing 4T full synthetic 10W50. I also use that in the gearbox because I cannot find synthetic 10W30 for the gearbox. I ride in temperatures from 10 degrees C to 45 degrees C. Just change oil often. I do think the correct viscosity will be better for better clutch action and gear shifts. My service manual says I should use 10W30 on the engine and gearbox. My bike is a 2012 model. Just look at what your manual says. 

thought that you should never run MOLY based oils in trans side of bike? why do you?

Honda recommends API service SG or higher, Jaso T903 standard MA or MB 10w40.viscosity. Brand is a matter of personal preference & you will get dozens & dozens of brand recommendations. I run Amsoil 10w40 synthetic in both the engine & trans myself. Lets me buy just 1 oil for both sides & I don't believe there is a better oil out there, I change it about every 8 to 10 hours. Check this link out for some good reading on motorcycle oils.   http://wboil.com/pdf/Study-of-Motorcycle-Oils-2nd-Edition.pdf

I run Rotella 15w40 in both the engine and transmission. Dirt cheap, no problems. You have to change the oil in these bikes so often it's just not worth running expensive oil.

• Like 1

For oil weight, I use 10w-40 in the engine, mostly Maxima since I get a deal through the local shop. In the tranny I use ultra light 80 w Maxima tranny oil. The Maxima tranny stuff is great, but shears out quickly.