Sign in to follow this  

Not gettin it

I went to the track yesterday and it just didn't feel right. I am on a kx450f coming from a 125 with probably 5 hours on the new bike. I feel like I could ride a lot of stuff better on the 125, and I feel like I am fighting this bike. I know I can ride this bike though, I had it 5th gear half throttle-3/4 throttle through long sections of huge sand rollers and I know I've hit good sections on the track. Ii know the bike handles well, there are time where it slices through lines and I can ride it well. Anyone had this problem?

450's benefit from being ridden smooth. If it feels like your fighting the bike, then you probably are. There is no point in trying to ride fast if your not getting through the corners well. On a 450 you can still ride pretty fast, because you can practically come to a stop in the corner, then hit it exiting and come charging out. But that's not how you ride fast, going fast in the straits or high speed sections is easy. Your better off taking it easy on the straits and learning how to charge into the corners. Plus with 450's especially, the faster you go, the better they handle. The bikes aren't designed to be 'tip toed' through corners, they react and feel better to aggression.

Your problem is you went from the best handling slowest full size bike to the worst handling most powerful. That's not to say 450's handle bad, but you can't just throw them into a corner like you can on a 125 and pin it out. After i bought my 250 2t but before I sold my 450, I took them both riding a few times. I couldn't believe how much better I felt riding my 250, but then comparing times, I was still riding faster on the 450 even though i felt like shit. 

You didn't indicate how big you were, but you've picked up about 50 lbs of bike and another 20 hp. Be patient, it will take time to adjust. Its a big adjustment going from a 250 2 stroke - its a quantum leap from a 125. 

• Like 2

450's benefit from being ridden smooth. If it feels like your fighting the bike, then you probably are. There is no point in trying to ride fast if your not getting through the corners well. On a 450 you can still ride pretty fast, because you can practically come to a stop in the corner, then hit it exiting and come charging out. But that's not how you ride fast, going fast in the straits or high speed sections is easy. Your better off taking it easy on the straits and learning how to charge into the corners. Plus with 450's especially, the faster you go, the better they handle. The bikes aren't designed to be 'tip toed' through corners, they react and feel better to aggression.

Your problem is you went from the best handling slowest full size bike to the worst handling most powerful. That's not to say 450's handle bad, but you can't just throw them into a corner like you can on a 125 and pin it out. After i bought my 250 2t but before I sold my 450, I took them both riding a few times. I couldn't believe how much better I felt riding my 250, but then comparing times, I was still riding faster on the 450 even though i felt like shit.

You say the 450 corners better at high speeds, yet it doesn't benefit from being thrown into corners like a 125, what would be the most ideal riding strategy then?

I was really struggling with corner speed on the 450 coming off of a 250 2 stroke. They like smooth throttle and transitions through the corner. My 250 liked to dive into a corner and throttle out. Early on the throttle, steady out does wonders for the 450. My buddy who is a much better rider than me  said corner speed is easy to gain on the 450. Stay off the clutch and use the throttle to get you through the corner, it keeps you from wanting to steer with the rear so much. As you get more comfortable on the bike you can start using the clutch to use the 450's power to propel you out of the corners. Those few words of wisdom worked magic.

You cant just point it and pin it like you do on a 2 stroke.

May not be the best way technique but it worked for me.

Just my .02 worth of info.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2

well, u basically answered your own question...  MX isn't a drag race... unless all of you are drag racing.

You said that your 450 laptimes are faster than your 125 times, so, what are you doing different?  the last bike I had before my current 06 kx450f was a 2000 kx125... I also knew back then that I could pick up almost 10 seconds jumping up to a 250 2t, but I didn't want to (fight) the bike, I liked being able to throw my 125 around and be the boss. But after being away from racing for 10 years, getting lots older, and falling into a sweet deal on the 450, I wouldn't trade it for a 125 for NOTHING. I do know that when I step onto my buddies daughters Suzuki 250f it feels just like old times and I can plow it into the corners like nobodies business.

BUT, when I come out of the corners and start shifting gears and wringing it out, that those (any) 250's or 125's don't have the pull and power down the straights that I (need) because I don't have the corner momentum that I (need) to carry small bike speed.  I beat a lot of (big) bikes in the Vet class on my 125 back in the early 2000's mostly because those guys couldn't ride a big bike either.

IMHO, the biggest reason you feel uncomfortable on the new bike is that your having to slowdown more to get to your 125 corner speed, so in return the bike is always upset...meaning weight transfer of the bike and rider between straight speed and corner speed isn't compatible... I KNOW THATS WHY I FEEL (DIFFERENT) on my big bike...

remember, braking bumps aren't braking bumps if your not braking, LOL

You say the 450 corners better at high speeds, yet it doesn't benefit from being thrown into corners like a 125, what would be the most ideal riding strategy then?

smoothness. You do things 'slow'. The bikes don't like to change direction as quick smaller bike, and you can't muscle/man handle them as much. When you have to lean the bike over, you start leaning earlier so you can get the bike layed over just as far, but with out laying it down as fast. Everyone told me to short shift, idk if it was suppose to be smoother or what, but it didn't work for me. It was easier to apply throttle smoothly and control engine braking, acceleration and prevent coasting when I stayed mid-higher in the rpms. It's easy to over ride the bikes, they make so much power and you want to ride them fast. It takes a while to learn how to make the bike work for you. Focusing on efficiency rather then pinning it and being a hero will benefit you most. I don't know how much this will help you, but this is what I would have told my self when I first got on a 450. All the other posts in this thread are good as well. I didn't mean for my first post to be negative, you do learn a lot of stuff on 450s that will transfer other displacements. Enjoy your new bike. They are a blast.

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 2