Rode Harold’s Sherco 300i again this weekend…WOW

I just wanted to drop a quick note with some thoughts on the Sherco 300i. About me 49 year old Senior A level rider, 5’ 11, 210lbs.  I had a chance to ride my dealer friends 13 Sherco 300i again this weekend and the bike really impresses me. He’s been riding it all year and I rode it at the first ride and liked it a lot and this ride was no different. The bike is stock minus one step heavier springs front and back for his weight and a slip on FMF exhaust and hand guards.  I’ve been riding my new Husky WR125 and really enjoying that bike in the 144 configuration and mainly the way the Husky handles and the confidence it gives me on attacking stuff on the trail. Well when I jumped on the Sherco 300i I felt the same confidence and that bike just works.

The EFI is spot on and you really feel a good connection between your right wrist and the rear wheel. The handling is top notch from what I could tell the trail I was riding on had some ignorant tight stuff and it worked very well there but yet was really stable on the high speed straights. The trail had multiple log crossings and big rocks and you could just attack them knowing that the bike would just soak them up and not deflect to one side or the other. I mean yeah you felt them but you didn’t have to worry about deflection. I’ve owned a few EFI bikes Berg 390, KTM 350XCF and rode Kawi’s and Honda’s and Husky’s and my Husaberg had the best EFI of any of those bikes and the Sherco 300i EFI is on par if not better than the Husaberg I had.  It just works and power is right there when you need it.  The weight on the Sherco blows me away as well because it is the lightest 4 stroke I’ve rode to date. The Kawi and Honda MX 250Fs

feel light weight but the Sherco is narrow and very light weight feeling you can flick it around really easy.  Again the fit and finish seem to be very good.  Even though I’m not a jumper/MX guy the few

Jumps on the trail we were riding was handled well by the 300i and there was no lacking of power to clear them.  The E-start worked great as well.

My only complaint on the bike which is a minor one and probably can be resolved with in 10 minutes is the location of the On/Off Switch. Where it’s at on the throttle side it’s very easy to bump if your forward on the

Bike and hit something and it shuts the bike off.  I mentioned it to Harold and he said yeah he has the same problem and he needs to try relocating it so I’m sure he will look into it.

So it was a fun day of riding and have to say I’m not sure how well the parts market is when it comes to these bikes and them being so new but, if your thinking about one I would say get it

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. 

“Clay”  you might be getting a call from Harold in the future for an order on a 2014 300i-r model….I think it would be a nice bike to park in the garage beside my Husky 125/144 soon to be 165 2 stroke.

Light weight 2 stroke and light weight EFI 4 stroke could be a whole lot of fun, then my only problem would be deciding which bike to take out racing or play riding

“John01” You need to get up to Harold’s and ride his 300i, this bike will be a nice match for your 165.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago.  I told my friend about Harold's prices and he ended up getting a new Ranger 900 from him.  I went along for the ride.  Harold gave me real good prices on a 2012 GG250 and 2014 KTM 250F.  I asked about the Sherco and he just smiled and said he didn't want to tell me about it because it was so good and he didn't have one to sell me.  IT's the bike I think I should get but the price would probably be close to 4K more than a 310 Husky TXC I was just quoted on from another dealer.  My 165 is going to my oldest grandson. He fell in love with it so I keep going round and round as to which bike to get.  Your post sure put the Sherco pressure back on lol.  Thanks for the ride report much appreciated.  

Did you find the Sherco trans good for DS riding? Was the motor bussy at high speeds (60mph)??

I was up there a couple of weeks ago.  I told my friend about Harold's prices and he ended up getting a new Ranger 900 from him.  I went along for the ride.  Harold gave me real good prices on a 2012 GG250 and 2014 KTM 250F.  I asked about the Sherco and he just smiled and said he didn't want to tell me about it because it was so good and he didn't have one to sell me.  IT's the bike I think I should get but the price would probably be close to 4K more than a 310 Husky TXC I was just quoted on from another dealer.  My 165 is going to my oldest grandson. He fell in love with it so I keep going round and round as to which bike to get.  Your post sure put the Sherco pressure back on lol.  Thanks for the ride report much appreciated.  

John sounds good about going up to Harold's with your friend and him getting a good deal and you getting a chance to talk with Harold about bikes and all. Too bad he didn't let you ride the 300i in the parking lot at least you would of known a little bit about what it was like. I will say this I don't think you can go wrong with the 310 Husky TXC at the price you are getting. I rode a friends but it had a faulty sensor and no one knew it and the bike was running in limp mode. Well after it was fixed I didn't get to ride it but it was a 13 310 TXC and Harold said that thing ripped along with a few others.  Besides if you get the 310 you could pick up a leftover 13 or 14 CR125 to start another 165 bike to go with the 310 :thumbsup:  Winters coming you need bike projects to work on.  The Sherco is nice though.

Did you find the Sherco trans good for DS riding? Was the motor bussy at high speeds (60mph)??

Didn't get a chance to get the Sherco above 3rd gear on the trails I rode it but I think it's a 6 speed and I would think it would do fine as a DS. Someone else would be better to ask like Chilly or DSG that has maybe had a chance to get it to the speed you are talking about.

A buddy of mine is the local Sherco dealer, anxiously awaiting the 2 strokes. The new 300 Racing is a great bike, nice motor and the bike feels awesome overall.

Cool about a buddy of yours being a Sherco dealer and if you get a chance to ride one of the 2 strokes post up a ride review. Heck you could even post one up of one of the thumpers.

Cool about a buddy of yours being a Sherco dealer and if you get a chance to ride one of the 2 strokes post up a ride review. Heck you could even post one up of one of the thumpers.

Smokers are on the boat as we speak. At the last race of the season now so I'll try to get a report on Monday. I'm sitting besides the Beta distributor-having a beer as we'll if you want a report on the new 300 2T!

was the 300i the new long stroke motor?

The 300i I rode was a 13 model.

Yeah any review will be cool on the Sherco's.

Hi!

In 2005 I bought one of the first EFI Sherco 4.5i, as a friend of mine is a Sherco and Husky dealer and he let me ride this bike.

From that time I know, that Sherco can build good bikes.

from 2011 to 2013 I had a TE310;  In the beginning I was hapy, but the suspension was a fiasko. I opend the fork about 5 times and in the end I payed a lot of money to let do the suspension work; but it was ...aaah...shit!

So I didn t  ride the 310 since spring 2012 and was only sport climbing for over a year. Totaly no more lust for bike riding.

(really cheaper ;) )

This year in July I made the mistake to ride the Shero 3.0, which my friend had for demonstration.

And its just the way HSrider told : its all easy! After a year nearly without biking suddenly all was easy! Big smile.

Of course, its my bike now. And I never would change it for a 310 again!

But the new 300 Beta 2stroke was the other favorite.(as my friend distributes Betas, too, I hat the opportunity to ride all the bikes untill I really knew them)

Although the 310 motor is good too; but there seem to be 1 to 2 generations between the bikes!

The place for the right engine stop switch is a bad joke, indeed.  I killd the motor at the awfullest moments. ;(  But since I just turned it front to back, I dont kill the engine any more!

The 2013 model has the "new" long stroke engine!

Edited by engl

The 300i I rode was a 13 model.

Yeah any review will be cool on the Sherco's.

There is a excellent review over on CH in the General section, under the heading " 2013 TXC310 or wait for 2014 TXC310" , third page post #45. You guys are going to cost me an extra 3K telling me how good the Sherco 300i is.

Edited by john01

where is "CH" ?

where is "CH" ?

Café Husky

That's a nice comparison and John hey it's only money :ride:

Yep and they still make the Sherco.  Wonder if Harold would order up two and give us a deal?

looking forward to a 2014 comparison

Two 2014 300's ran our last HS of the season yesterday. Super nasty conditions up and down the side of the mountain.

No problems in the hill climbs at all, I really like these bikes. The motor is just awesome, tons of bottom end and super smooth.

As usual pics do not do justice to the grade of the slopes. We went up and down this for 2 hours in the pouring rain....

photo-15_zpsbcabb7ea.jpg

photo-16_zps344eacd1.jpg

photo-14_zpsb024ca39.jpg

Yep and they still make the Sherco.  Wonder if Harold would order up two and give us a deal?

Not sure if Harold would give us a deal if we bought two but I'm sure he would work with us and give us the best deal he could.

ckny - That's some nasty race conditions and glad the 300i's did well in it.

Sunday I had a problem while riding a very fine enduro event : the e-start  had a defect, so I could not start the engine any more.

Shit, as it meant the  end of race for me! :(

I heared its not a singular instance. Its the first gearwheel near the e-starter. The part number of the broken part is 1995 and I could have changed it within 15 minutes, when I had known the problem!

From now on I ll have that gearwheel in my pocket for backup.

Unfortunately not me, but the competition:

Edited by engl