Twin Air Filters

I recently purchased a couple of Twin Air filters for my KX.  I have used Twin Air for years, I like the fact that they are slightly smaller than the stock filter.  It makes them easier to get into the cramped air box.  So I oiled one up and went to put it on the filter cage before I realized that it didn't have any "tabs" to put the pins of the filter cage into.  I grabbed the package it came in thinking I had gotten the wrong filter, but no, it says for 06 to 13 KX 450s.  So needless to say I am a little disgusted.  The filters look the right size and shape and I think they would probably work, but no way am I taking a chance of my bike sucking dirt.

So what is the story?  Did Twin Air cheap out on their filters?  Both filters are like this and both packages say they are for my bike.  Has anyone else run into this?  I have bought Twin Air for years and they have always seemed to be of high quality but I will definitely be switching brands!

Any suggestions for filters? I am not a big fan of the uni filters, the two separate filters are kind of a pain.  For now I am running the stock filter.

I run the UNI Filters, and very rarely do I even clean the inner filter... but I change filters every ride, and between each moto on race day... oil the outer correctly, and the inner filter is barely noticeable.

I have 2 twin air filters for my 13 450. They have 2 tabs to locate the cage and a rubber grommet to fit the bolt. Top quality filter. Call them up, it sounds like you got a lower quality model.

All my Twin Airs have had the tabs. It might be possible that you got the filters for the power flow kit for the KX450F, they have a different cage and I don't think they have tabs.

Edited by mx317

All my Twin Airs have had the tabs. It might be possible that you got the filters for the power flow kit for the KX450F, they have a different cage and I don't think they have tabs.

Thank you!  I think you nailed it.  That possibility did not occur to me.  I looked at the packages again and they do say for pfk 2006 to 2013 kx 450.  I overlooked the pfk part not realizing that it stands for power flow kit.  It does surprise me that the power flow kit does not have the pins, that would make me a little paranoid if the filter was aligned correctly. 

You can put some grease on the rim to give you a little more confidence of a good seal.