Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis IT Tire Install

Well, don't know if I picked toughest tire to install for a newbe. I bought 21 front and rear 19/100 maxxis IT along with tire irons and a bead buddy. I was also switching tubes to ultra duty as I have been riding Mexico rough trails and been getting flats alot. Well, font tire went smoothly, then came the fun. Rear was ridiculous to get second bead in. I fought with it for like 3 hours then decided to call it a night. I read up about heating tires, so I found electric heater and let it warm up for around 30 minutes, with little soap she it was on in a couple prys. If anyone has other suggestions for next tire change it would be appreciated. Lookin forward to try them out

Yea, the IT can be difficult. I put mine out in the sun, even on cooler days. Then tough it out.

Mike

My first ever tyre change was with a set of dunlop AT81's the rear(desert version) also took me a few hours to spoon on,it sounded like it was about to rip getting the last of the bead on,not looking forward to getting them back off again.

Edited by ozglenn

Get the bead of the tire deeper into the dish of the rim. I can spoon virtually any tire on in under 15min with it being cold.... A beadbuddy can do wonders....

The stiff side wall tires can be a real PITA. The Maxxis desert IT is one of those tires. Like mentioned let them sit in the sun for a bit. It helps make the rubber more pliable. That and a little windex and they go right on or off.

I run Desert IT's also and struggled greatly.  After watching this video a few times, things got much easier and I can now change an IT in 30 minutes including removal/install on the bike.

• Like 1

Yea, the IT can be difficult. I put mine out in the sun, even on cooler days. Then tough it out.

Mike

I used to put it in the house for Cali winters, then it is much warmer and pliable. 

How many tubes I pinched, knuckles I smashed bloody--I can't even count.  Nor do I know how many cuss words came outa my mouth because of those damn tires.  They last well, but they don't grip too well.  I would honestly go with a different tire if you want traction.  But for the money and how long they last, it's a good deal.

• Like 1

The way I do it is have someone (my wife) physically stand on the tire as you go around spooning the final bead, you want them to stand on the tire only and as close to your spoon as possible. Works great but you need 2 people.

Heat up the tire by direct sun or portable heater, lube the beads with soapy water.

I used to put it in the house for Cali winters, then it is much warmer and pliable. 

How many tubes I pinched, knuckles I smashed bloody--I can't even count.  Nor do I know how many cuss words came outa my mouth because of those damn tires.  They last well, but they don't grip too well.  I would honestly go with a different tire if you want traction.  But for the money and how long they last, it's a good deal.

+1

They came on the last 2 bikes I bought. Put one ride on the 1st one and didn't even bother with the 2nd. After I finally got them off the rims I gave them to my riding buddies. They swear by the things. Their 4Ts probably make up a little over my 2Ts for the loss of traction, but those tires are not for me.

• Like 2

OP, I don't know if this is part of the problem or not...You said you used ULTRA-HD tubes.  What brand?  Twice now (AND NEVER AGAIN!) I've USED Michelin ULTRA HD tubes and they gave me fits.  The 21 in front seemed like a 20 in. tube and the 18in. rear seemed like a 17 in.  As you try to spoon the tire on, the tube would want to pop out over the edge of the wheel.   The tubes had to literally be stretched to fit over the wheel.  It made the tire installation WAY harder than it had to be and YES, I had the correct size tubes.  The size was printed on them. 

+1

They came on the last 2 bikes I bought. Put one ride on the 1st one and didn't even bother with the 2nd. After I finally got them off the rims I gave them to my riding buddies. They swear by the things. Their 4Ts probably make up a little over my 2Ts for the loss of traction, but those tires are not for me.

My buddy gave me a small, little 90-100-18" Michelin M12 that he didn't want.  I installed it cynically not giving it any credence.  We parked at Cougar Bouttes at JV, I took off from the truck and my uncle said, "Man you were flat tracking your bike!!  How are you turning so well??"  It was that tire, 100%.  Never coulda turned the bike with Maxxis ITs like that, never.

Look up the "Dunlop Method" worked the best for me I used to always pinch tubes until I learned this way. Now its my go to method putting the tube in used to be the hardest part, now its getting the rim to sit in between the the walls but how hard is that? Not much.

OP, I don't know if this is part of the problem or not...You said you used ULTRA-HD tubes.  What brand?  Twice now (AND NEVER AGAIN!) I've USED Michelin ULTRA HD tubes and they gave me fits.  The 21 in front seemed like a 20 in. tube and the 18in. rear seemed like a 17 in.  As you try to spoon the tire on, the tube would want to pop out over the edge of the wheel.   The tubes had to literally be stretched to fit over the wheel.  It made the tire installation WAY harder than it had to be and YES, I had the correct size tubes.  The size was printed on them. 

weird....ive used the michelin UHD tubes didnt seem any different than any other UHD tube

weird....ive used the michelin UHD tubes didnt seem any different than any other UHD tube

I agree - Weird.  And the 2 tire changes were almost a year apart.  Not the same batch from Michelin, I'm assuming.

Thanks all for feedback, be sure to try Dunlop method next. To answer question, the tubes are Bridgestone Ultra duty. One more question, what is good psi for this setup.

We have a little of everything and ALOT of rocks here. IT's seem to wear well, and not cutting or shedding knobs is a big plus.

Mike

Thanks all for feedback, be sure to try Dunlop method next. To answer question, the tubes are Bridgestone Ultra duty. One more question, what is good psi for this setup.

I run 15/15 in the desert.  Bridgestone or Michelin UHD tubes..... Gorilla tape 3 layers over spoke nipples.

Rarely get flats. In fact 1 flat in 105 hrs on the current bike and I believe it was installation error.

Here is what you do, you leave the tire in the garage with a box of shrooms next to it and go to bed, in the morning you should come out and the shrooms will be gone if this worked properly, you see what happens is Smurf's are naturally attracted to mushrooms, so they will slip into your garage while you sleep (they are timid creatures and don't like to be seen) but they are also hard working, so as a favor for the mushrooms they will mount the new tire for you. 

• Like 1