Need some help with stuck screws

Hey guys, my kickstart spring came out in my 06 blaster so I have tk remove the side cover. The cover has Phillips screws and theyre jammed in there really tight and they're starting to strip so I need some help. What advice can you guys give me to get these screws open? I allready put oil on them but haven't tried to open them. Thanks in advance.

A close up. You can see one of the screws almost stripped completely.

1382410442508.jpg

1382410467015.jpg

+1 on the impact driver. The kind that has a 1/4" hex quick connect. I am deeply in love with mine. They even have adapters to 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive for sockets. Less stripping going in and coming out. Way better than a drill or screw driver

thanks for the info guys. Do you think it'll work on the screws that are semi stripped?

The cross slot screws on Japanese motorcycles are not Phillips, they are JIS screws.  If you had the correct JIS screwdriver they come right out.

If you have some that are stripped, try a NEW bit in a 1/4" socket or something similar and tap on the end with a hammer.  The "impact" can sometimes help loosen them.  You can also try grabbing the sides with a variety of pliers.  Or use a small chisel and tap it counter clockwise to break it free.

thanks for the info guys. Do you think it'll work on the screws that are semi stripped?

It worked great on my stripped license plate bolt on my civic that was rusted, seized, and mostly stripped. Make sure you have the best fitting bit- they sell assortment packs. You can apply pressure and hammer down! Last resort they also have left handed drill bits that can grab and remove stripped fasteners.

Hey, this is the place to ride. I am about five miles from th e trails. The trails offer any type of challenge you would want. Let me know when you want to come down and ride. May be able to help out with info if you need..

It worked great on my stripped license plate bolt on my civic that was rusted, seized, and mostly stripped. Make sure you have the best fitting bit- they sell assortment packs. You can apply pressure and hammer down! Last resort they also have left handed drill bits that can grab and remove stripped fasteners.

jeekins, thats good to know. I learn new things everyday. Il get myself one of those impact screwdrivers too.

Thanks for all your help guys. ? I put a groove in each screw and used a flathead to tap it out. Unfortunately my kickstart spring is broken so I need to buy a new one. Once again thanks for your help guys!

An easy way to tell a JIS from Phillips is the little dot on the head of the screw.  Here's some pics showing the different angles, causing a Phillips to "walk out" of a JIS fastener.

https://www.google.com/search?q=JIS+screws&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KrtnUrqnFIr4kQeGvYHABA&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=909