kdx, ktm, woods racer, small budget.

moving up to 98-250B this year so coming off a 2002 rm 125 i feel like i need another bike,
extremely serious discussion, i've got stuff to mod a kdx to have modern suspension, can have a clean post 2000 for 1100.
then i've got the option of an 04 ktm 200sx that i can get for 1900
not sure which route to go, i have a very tight budget as i said. any opinion and reasons would be extremely appreciated.

is an option. hard to find a good 05 or newer around thats not trashed or 4grand. there's one thats been on the craigslist for a couple moths for 25 he might drop he might not

02-04 are basically the same bikes except for updated suspension and aluminum frame.....Either way they are excellent bikes....

What kind of racing ? The kdx has a followers who are nearly rabid in their love for their bikes . Look at what jeff fredette did and can still do on a kdx !!!!!but,,,,,the 200sx??? Super lightweight and thin topline.more powerful than most 250f's,great suspension,no mods needed to compete......decisions decisions....

How tired are you after riding a bike at race speeds for 2hrs? Anyone who has kdx/converted mx bike experience will tell you that after the 1st hour, a kdx is far less tiring and easier to ride. while its no yz or sx on a track, if your track use is limited kdx is hard to beat. Reguardless of suspension, that motor is glorious when youre at that 1.5hr mark with your tongue hanging out. I rode a ported/vforced/piped kdx with moto valved suspension and felt it was too harsh edged for woods riding and was better for mx, so they can be anything you want.

• Like 1

How tired are you after riding a bike at race speeds for 2hrs? Anyone who has kdx/converted mx bike experience will tell you that after the 1st hour, a kdx is far less tiring and easier to ride. while its no yz or sx on a track, if your track use is limited kdx is hard to beat. Reguardless of suspension, that motor is glorious when youre at that 1.5hr mark with your tongue hanging out. I rode a ported/vforced/piped kdx with moto valved suspension and felt it was too harsh edged for woods riding and was better for mx, so they can be anything you want.

tired but still have a lap atleast in me

I used to know a guy when I was younger that raced. Kdx200. He was super fast & always had those bikes (neighbor when I was growing up) anyways, he swore by that bike. I've always read nothing but good things about them. Lightweight, good power for the woods, bigger tank, offroad suspension. I'm sure being C class you get get some springs & a pipe & your good to go!

Waaaay back in 19hundred and something when I was racing 125s our mx club ran a annual 6 hour event which had a big entrant nomination from 100s miles around the area I grew up in.

Hot dry arid Conditions with alot of dealer backed teams with 2 up riders competing.

Well they had a Iron Man class meaning one man rode the whole event.

I recall a chap winning the overall 1st place plus the Iron man 4 years in a row.

His bike. .

A Kdx 200.

I havent owned a kdx since 91, but have ridden a few. every time I do, the motor impresses. I understand why they are often swapped into a better chassis. For that matter, I understand the love for IT200 motors too...........theres something to be said about a 2t with low end torque. however any kdx I ever rode was torqueier than an IT. I love them both, but the IT has more seat cushion for my 46 y/o arse!

Edited by ickfinger

thinking about doing the kdx. just as it would need less work to make it mine. has bars i like grips i like and a seat cover i like. have modern suspension ready to be swapped onto it from a 03 kx 250 tripple trees and stem

I'm sure being C class you get get some springs & a pipe & your good to go!

moving to B in spring.
but i know with some freddete racing products carb mods you can make them scream. already has a gnarly and a shorty on it. th

• Like 1