2013 250sx Subframe inserts

I just bought a new 250sx and it is definitely a kick ass ride, but today I was removing the silencer so I could get the shock out to put on a new spring, and one of the bolts was already cross threaded when I tried to remove it. I eventually got that bolt out, but my problem is that I need to put a new insert in the subframe along with a new bolt and I'm not sure how to remove the old one and get the new one in. Can anyone please give me some tips? Everyone likes new bike pics, so here is one of the new smoker.

photo.JPG

Edited by stonerB

Heli-Coil....

Yeah I know that is an option, but looking at the parts diagram on Rocky Mountain it looks like there is a part number for those inserts in the subframe. And if that's the case, I am trying to figure out how to get the old one out, and put a new one in.

Ya, you might be able to drill the old one out and get a welder to tack weld a nut in.....

The OEM part is a blind nut.  (AKA-  rivnut or rivet nut)  You have to drill it out and there is a special tool for installing a new one.  A sheet metal shop would have the tool for installing it and should be able to do it in a couple minutes if you can get the old one out.

The OEM part is a blind nut.  (AKA-  rivnut or rivet nut)  You have to drill it out and there is a special tool for installing a new one.  A sheet metal shop would have the tool for installing it and should be able to do it in a couple minutes if you can get the old one out.

Ah, gotcha. I thought it might be something like that. I was just hoping it was a way to easily do it myself. I appreciate the info though.

If you don't have the install tool you can try using a long bolt and a nut/washer on the blind side to flare the rivnut.  Your results may vary but it can be done without the tool.

The same thing happened on my 2013 300 xcw. I brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it for me.

I was able to use the good silencer bolt to re-tap that insert and it seems to have worked for me. Also I ordered a couple fresh bolts to use when I put it back together. Now I'm ready to get the suspension back on this thing and go tear it up. I appreciate all of the advice fellas.