what is the best year of the250f?

im looking like between 01 and 05,06 if I can find one in my price range. but between these years what will be the best year to find

06 came with the aluminum frames and SSS suspension......probably the better of the 3yrs listed

Finding one is good clean condition will be more important though....

ill find the one in best condition, but is there a year that better than others between 01-05?

ill find the one in best condition, but is there a year that better than others between 01-05?

The 05 will be the best.....

alright

Edited by dmonster

Yeah, generally bikes get a bit better every year. Some years they take a step backwards, but 95% of the time, newer is usually a bit better. 06 was a major upgrade year if you can afford that new, and 07 was also a big leap forward, with changes to the engine position and head tube offset.

For the older ones, I know in 04 they got titanium foot pegs and slightly better forks.

You want to get the 07 instead of all those yrs listed. 06 had some steering issues which were corrected in 07. The price diff between a 06 and 07 won't be much if any.

Otherwise, if you are held to the steel framers with your price range, get the 05. Better power than the older yrs and the 05 twin chamber fork, while not a SSS, is better than the prior yrs. In any case, get 03 or newer. 03 was a huge improvement over the 01-02 with something like 10 lbs lighter and slimmer ergos, plus the auto-decompression was standard equipment with the hotstart on the handlebars.

Whatever you buy, leave the roached out bikes for other people who think they can fix anything. Hold out for a nice good one.

And if you're talking WR, 03 was the 1st year for the majic button if that matters to you.

Im talking bout the yz250f

If it weren't for the SSS, the 05 would definitely be the best. 06 had valve problems and recalls.

If it weren't for the SSS, the 05 would definitely be the best. 06 had valve problems and recalls.

oh good grief.

yes there was a factory paid recall to have the valves replaced....FOR FREE!

ask the red/green/yellow guys how many valves their companies replaced FOR FREE?

oh good grief.

yes there was a factory paid recall to have the valves replaced....FOR FREE!

ask the red/green/yellow guys how many valves their companies replaced FOR FREE?

how do I know if the valves had been done? is there a way to tell besides just trusting the guy I buy it from?

I know on Hondas, you can give any dealership your VIN and they can run it through their system to see if any factory recalls were performed. I would think the same would be true with Yamahas.

alright thanks

and if you had read the forum faq....where i posted the factory recall notice some 7+ years ago....the shop is supposed to mark the bike, but yes if done by a shop it should be in the database it was done.

and if you had read the forum faq....where i posted the factory recall notice some 7+ years ago....the shop is supposed to mark the bike, but yes if done by a shop it should be in the database it was done.

what mark do I look for on the bike? and were is the mark located on the bike?

Edited by dmonster

I believe they were supposed to stamp a dot at the end ot the VIN # on the steering stem.

alright thanks

I had an '04. it was a great bike. The forks were transformed ("plusher" by far) by the local suspension guy.

I have an '08 currently (made me no faster)

Think I'll buy a '14, and rarely race that too.

Being old sucks...

I had an '04. it was a great bike. The forks were transformed ("plusher" by far) by the local suspension guy.

I have an '08 currently (made me no faster)

Think I'll buy a '14, and rarely race that too.

Being old sucks...

which one do u prefer though? the 04 with a steel frame or the 08 with a aluminum frame and sss suspension?