Sign in to follow this  

Spark plug opinions?

So recently me and the family have been going to a place around here named Blue Diamond. Wile there, I ran through 3 NGK (b9s for hotter spark) spark plugs. Finally I got tired and threw in a Champion and the rest of the day my kx100 was strong and relentless. The ratio on my gas is 28:1.(scared to blow it up). So I wanted to ask you guys, WHAT, is your favourite choice of plug? :D

An NGK in the bike, Autolites in the truck. Never bought a set of Champions that didn't have a bad one in the batch.  The heat range of a plug doesn't make for a hotter spark, and a B9 NGK is a colder plug. NGK runs their number system backwards.

So recently me and the family have been going to a place around here named Blue Diamond. Wile there, I ran through 3 NGK (b9s for hotter spark) spark plugs. Finally I got tired and threw in a Champion and the rest of the day my kx100 was strong and relentless. The ratio on my gas is 28:1.(scared to blow it up). So I wanted to ask you guys, WHAT, is your favourite choice of plug? :D

BR9s are actually cooler plugs then 8s or 7s.....

That being said, something is wrong if you go through 3 spark plugs.....Might want to spend sometime researching jetting on TT.

And to add, your fuel mixture ratio has little to do with anything regarding "blowing up", again its all about jetting....

And I run a BR7ES

BR8es here in all the bikes since 1974. I've tried the iridiums, platinums, etc. Just can't beat the simple things.

Guys at the tracks spend $12 for a plug and by the intermission, they're coming to me for a plug. They'll buy one from me and sure enough, come the next race we're at they have another Iridium in there. They always say, "That's what so-and-so said to run."

I need to charge about $8/plug instead of $3.

• Like 1

Not to start yet another "what ratio is best" thread, but 28:1 is an excessive amount of oil. I would imagine a kx100 calls for 32:1, which is plenty. Just get the jetting right. I have not fouled a single plug in the year that i have owned my kx, running ngk br8

• Like 1

Not to start yet another "what ratio is best" thread, but 28:1 is an excessive amount of oil. I would imagine a kx100 calls for 32:1, which is plenty. Just get the jetting right. I have not fouled a single plug in the year that i have owned my kx, running ngk br8

Yes, the 100 does go for 32:1, and I'm just scared to score the cylinder or something. At the moment I don't have any money so I'd rather loose a few horses than loose a top-end. The reason I was fouling plugs was my jetting too. Took the carb apart and found out how rich and loaded it was.

Running a thicker mix can be just as bad unless you jet for it. The viscosity changes and so does your jetting. The bikes were designed to run at 32:1 and most jetting charts are setup for that ratio.

I am not saying  28:1 is bad but you need to know who to correct the jetting for it.

BR8es here in all the bikes since 1974. I've tried the iridiums, platinums, etc. Just can't beat the simple things.

Guys at the tracks spend $12 for a plug and by the intermission, they're coming to me for a plug. They'll buy one from me and sure enough, come the next race we're at they have another Iridium in there. They always say, "That's what so-and-so said to run."

I need to charge about $8/plug instead of $3.

Teach em how to jet a bike and they wont need your plugs lol I know you can

Back on topic:

My bike is jetted right and I don't have to change the plug due to fouling at all. :p:ride:

Running a thicker mix can be just as bad unless you jet for it. The viscosity changes and so does your jetting. The bikes were designed to run at 32:1 and most jetting charts are setup for that ratio.

I am not saying  28:1 is bad but you need to know who to correct the jetting for it.

More oil in his case is going to lean the bike out so I cant see that causing him to run through plugs.

Going to pin this one to bad jetting.

• Like 1

Hardeeee, har,har.... :p

I try to tell them to jet it right but most of them use a certain local guy that rebuilds their motors and he sets them up for them. I really don't get along with him so he gets upset when I mention his motors last one race and mine last a full year and my bikes are still faster.

He builds them right to the edge of insane. I use the age old concept...K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).

• Like 1

Well I rejetted the bike so it's running like it should. Ran through two tanks and no problems. And my bad on the spark plug thing, I thought the higher the number the hotter the spark. I think I might stay with the 8's though. Best I can find for my bike anyway.

I went to buy a plug for my bike a coule weeks ago (01 kx250) and it was 10 something. When I got home I was changing the oil in my bike and air filter and just freshing up, I went to pull the plug out and it had a br7es in it. Hot plug, yes. but it looked great. So I put it back in. I have been riding this bike for more then 6 months, and ride alot, but have never fouled the plug. So I have the iridium riding around on the dash of the truck. I think I will try a br8es, when its time to change. I like the price alot better and don't see any benefit to an iridium plug...

I went to buy a plug for my bike a coule weeks ago (01 kx250) and it was 10 something. When I got home I was changing the oil in my bike and air filter and just freshing up, I went to pull the plug out and it had a br7es in it. Hot plug, yes. but it looked great. So I put it back in. I have been riding this bike for more then 6 months, and ride alot, but have never fouled the plug. So I have the iridium riding around on the dash of the truck. I think I will try a br8es, when its time to change. I like the price alot better and don't see any benefit to an iridium plug...

Don't use that dealer any more.  They obviously have no experience or knowledge.  I believe the book or the fishe at the Kaw dealers list the KX250 99-02 plug as a 10.  I don't know why when the owners manuals call for an 8.  Everyone who knows KAW know the standard plug is an 8.

Sapper's experience seems to be the norm.  I've run all the 8's...eg, es, eix, ect.  The $3 es plug works fine.

Point taken. Thanks alot for the the info. No can anyone tell me what the advantage would be to running an iridium plug instead of a b8?