Sign in to follow this  

Engine problems after oil change

I just finished changing oil and oil filter on my DRZ400SM. I've already done this a few times without any issues. However, after riding for 10 minutes after the oil change, I noticed how the engine would skip a beat from time to time at highway speeds. It's also easy to tell that there is something wrong because when trying to accelerate aggressively from low speeds, it feels jerky and is also easy to hear that the engine isn't accelerating smoothly. 

When I got home (20 minutes ride), I noticed that the engine was very hot, much more than usual. 

I'm not sure what's going on. I used the same oil filter and oil as usual (recommended Suzuki brand 4 stroke 10w-40 oil). The only thing I can think of is that, this time, I forgot to unscrew the oil dipstick before draining the old oil. Is it possible that because of that lack of vent (dipstick hole) I didn't drain all the oil before I added 2 quarts? would some extra oil have such a big impact?

thanks

Edited by juansg

The only thing I can think of is that, this time, I forgot to unscrew the oil dipstick before draining the old oil. Is it possible that because of that lack of vent (dipstick hole) I didn't drain all the oil before I added 2 quarts? 

Nope, that frame tank is still vented through the engine breather system.

I often don't take the dipstick out and it still drains pretty quickly when the bolt is removed.

Could be a vacuum leak to the carb or the carb may have gotten a jet plugged. With the oil change make sure to get the bike well warmed and then let it sit for about 3 minutes and check the oil level. The only other thing I can think of with regard to the oil change is did you get the oil filter gasket right? Cant relieve the other symptoms... maybe you could hold your bike closer to the computer so we can look it over...  ;)