How to get rid of engine braking? Its a pain in the ass

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew how to delete the engine braking in the 230F it is a pain when going down the road and you get off the throttle and the engine braking throws you forward!

Cheers Brad

Get a rekluse clutch or a 2 stroke. Even better a 2 stroke with a rekluse clutch.

Shift to neutral.

Pull in the clutch.

Lower the compression.

Never let off the throttle in any gear below 5th.

When in doubt. Gas it.

Ride an electric bike.

Keep the throttle open.

Its not a bug, its a feature.

Two-strokes don't have much (any) compression braking effect.

Learn to use engine braking to your advantage..... I can throw any four-stroke into a long sweeping corner faster then any two stroke I've ever owned....

Turn the idle up high.  cheap & easy.

Learn how to ride a 4-stroke, you would be amazed at how much fun it can be when you understand how to do it correctly!

Swiss

You can't delete the engine brake..

Up shift. Different sprockets maybe if you are topped out already. I appreciate engine braking down steep hills.

I thought Aussies were smarter than this.

Must be a Pom.

Yeah it can be a good thing but most the time i go into corners and the engine braking kicks in and it slows right up!

Yeah it can be a good thing but most the time i go into corners and the engine braking kicks in and it slows right up!

Then why dont you just go into the corners faster if you know engine braking will slow you down? When I go into turns, first thing i do is downshift to use that engine braking. Then I'll use the brakes, then I'll pull in the clutch and sometimes hit the rear brake and gas it so as soon as i start sliding into a rut by braking, i gas it to keep the slide going and get me out of the turn. I personally love the engine braking on any bike. Use it to your advantage, dont fight it

Adapt and overcome.

when you plan on closing the throttle, pull in the clutch !

Red vs. Blue,

I'll apologize for everyone.  Man, I don't go on this site for months and when I come back, its . . . well, nobody really answered your questions.

I have a suggestion and someone might be able to elaborate on this.  I believe if you lighten your flywheel, that will lessen the 4-stroke braking thing.  Now, I should say I haven't done this mod (One of the few I haven't done), but as I understand it, that is one of the side effects of the mod.  

The upside of doing this is that your bike will rev much faster.  I think this would be your only option to fix your problem.  If you do it, please share your findings.

O.K.  I think I'll hibernate from the site for another 4 months now.  My work is done.

Hinson BTL clutch eliminates engine braking.. not cheap though.

0908131855b.jpg

Red vs. Blue,

I'll apologize for everyone.  Man, I don't go on this site for months and when I come back, its . . . well, nobody really answered your questions.

I have a suggestion and someone might be able to elaborate on this.  I believe if you lighten your flywheel, that will lessen the 4-stroke braking thing.  Now, I should say I haven't done this mod (One of the few I haven't done), but as I understand it, that is one of the side effects of the mod.  

The upside of doing this is that your bike will rev much faster.  I think this would be your only option to fix your problem.  If you do it, please share your findings.

O.K.  I think I'll hibernate from the site for another 4 months now.  My work is done.

Huh...my experience on 2Ts has been heavier FWW carries more momentum off the gas. Not arguing, just opening the subject up for discussion. Regardless, I'd like to get my FWW shaved on the 230 so if anybody has done so, please post your thoughts as well as who did the work. Thanks.

Oops.  Deinabolic is right.  sorry about that.  I said that completely backwards.  Shame on me.  Just had a brain fart. 

Edited by toneconsultant

Hinson BTL clutch eliminates engine braking.. not cheap though.

Nope, it reduces engine breaking enough to eliminate wheel hop but does not eliminate it.  Actually the reduction in engine braking is not that noticable unless you have the habit of completely chopping the throttle from high RPM or banging multiple downshifts.

Nope, it reduces engine breaking enough to eliminate wheel hop but does not eliminate it.  Actually the reduction in engine braking is not that noticable unless you have the habit of completely chopping the throttle from high RPM or banging multiple downshifts.

That's funny… did you read that on some website or magazine article.?

I have a Hinson BTL clutch assembly, and Hinson 6 Spring clutch assembly with an ass load of hours using both. Regardless of what you may have read somewhere online.. you don't feel engine braking (or drag) with the BTL.. Period. You can chop the throttle from the rev limiter, and the bike free-wheels. No engine drag.

Go get one and then come back and talk to me.

Pic's of my Hinson 6 spring and BTL posted.

0904131617.jpg

0908131855a.jpg