Sign in to follow this  

rims and tires

I have a 01 drz and have dirt tires on it can I just buy rims and street tires like that sm models have and just throw them on and be good to go? also can I put a street tire on the rims I have now? I ride street almost all the time so I wanna put on street tires and take the knobbies off thanks.

would this be the type of dual tire?

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/shinko-705-series-dual-sport-rear-tire.html

and what size is good for a drz?

Edited by chrispy12

I know that the S and SM run different rotor sizes, the sm being the larger of the two.  If im not mistaken the sm rotor is a 310mm.  So i believe you would either have to transfer your existing rotor to the new wheel which isn't hard, it would just take time but is an option especially if you plan on keeping it in sumo setup for awhile.  Or you can by a caliper relocation bracket to move the S caliper out farther to accommodate the larger sm rotor.

oh and if you don't want your speedo to be even more off than stock then you would have to get a new speedo drive ( i think thats what they are called  :thinking:

I would keep the back rotor the same no matter what, no real need to change it.  i hardly touch the rear brake anyways

Other than that i think its just a bolt on swap.  the spacers are the same and the only other thing you might have to watch out for is rear tire size.  The sm swing arm is shaped differently (wider i believe) to accommodate a larger rear tire.  but plenty of people on her switch back and forth no problem.

Im no expert but i hope this helps!

Oh and like you mentioned you can just put street oriented tires on S rims.  I have an 02 S and almost solely ride street, so i just got very street oriented tires for the stock 18-21 wheels.  They are a little harder to find than street tires for 17s obviously, but they are out there.  my tires are like 95% street 5% dirt i think.  The most off-roading i do is a short trip through my back yard so it works for me

Its a lot cheeper of an option 

Edited by Rolling2

this did help thxs I think I might go the street mostly but somewhat dirt route. just getting the most street I can get for my current rims I got now.

310mm rotor will fit the s caliper with no bracket. That's what I run now. 320mm needs a bracket

Edit: I also have sm forks on my s... Not sure if that makes a difference but it probably does now that I think about. Gotta double check this now

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

so I can buy a new rim with a 310mm rotor and just throw a sm style street tire on it then bolt it on my bike and take the old off? and what about front. I know the sm has a 4 cylinder brake caliper and the s has a 2.  

Edited by chrispy12

310mm rotor will fit the s caliper with no bracket. That's what I run now. 320mm needs a bracketEdit: I also have sm forks on my s... Not sure if that makes a difference but it probably does now that I think about. Gotta double check this now

Yeah this is wrong sorry. You will need a caliper relocation bracket or swap your s rotor over. Get an sm speedo drive gear as already mentioned. And then yes you can bolt sm wheels on and ride.

okay I got it, so I would need two new rims take both rotors off then put them on my new rims with the street tires and new speedo drive due to the rim size difference. that correct?

the speed drives are like 90$ here to lol

what size rims would I be looking for? same as stock ones? r21  and r 18? also for tire 120/90? on rear I have 110/100 now on rear I believe?

so the 150/160 is the width of the tire if I am correct? and that will have good clearance? between the sway bar

Warp 9 rims will work, but they will not work with the OEM speedo gear, S or SM, you would have to run a trail tech vapor for a speedometer.

Wheeling cycle supply sells SM PRO wheels that will work with the OEM speedo gear so you can continue to use your original gage cluster. They also sell the SM speedo gear for 65.95.

Good luck with the swap

so the 150/160 is the width of the tire if I am correct? and that will have good clearance? between the sway bar

my 160 rubs like a bitch on the chain