Dreamy front suspension?

After purchasing the lectron carb I'm sold on keeping my 08 yz250 and continuing to pimp it out. I was thinking about the Eric gorr 295 or the esr325 for the engine with low to mid porting but I have noooooo idea what an amazing suspension improvement would be. I have a 2000 yz 250 that I was thinking might like the 08 SSS forks on it and then I could look into purchasing a nice set of after market forks for the 08 which is my primary bike.

So if ya'll had a chance to pimp out your front suspension, how would you do it?

I found a good local suspension shop to do my suspension (You don't have your location listed, but if you're in MI, Tech Care Suspension is where I went).  They asked for my weight and riding style and they did the rest.  I think it was about 175 for the forks including parts.  I can't imagine the forks being any better now... they are just perfect for me.  I still think it's the best money I've spent on my 03 YZ250 so far.

I bolted on some '06 YZ450 SSS forks onto my WR250f, as they wouldn't fit into the '03 YZ clamps yet. While the stickers on the forks were Precision Concepts, I have no way of knowing if they have been modified or just stickered. Anyhow, these forks are just purely incredible as they are right now!!! Now it's time to send out the rear shock to get some improvement!!

The absolute best bang for your buck would be to have the forks tuned by a reputable suspension shop.

Ive seen a few people add some after market forks that they seem to be very happy with. But what im hearing from you guys is that just getting my SSS forks that came with the 08 yz250 is just as good as anything aftermarket? My location is in Carbondale Colorado which is deep in the mountains. So I cant imagine there is an amazing suspension guy near by. My closest guess would be Grand Junction Colorado or Denver.

Do you guys know of a good suspension tuner that i could just send my forks off to for a good tune up to my weight and riding style?

thanks for your input, im really trying to get a good list of awesome stuff to do to the bike this winter and the suspension is first in line.

one more thing, if im going to get my forks tuned by a profesional than should i go ahea and send in my rear shock for the same thing?

What is your weight and what ability?  I can provide you with a stack that works great for A and B riders between 170 and 200 lbs in rocky terrain.  Best deal around - FREE!  I have developed this stack over a 6 year period and it is used by a couple of A riders, a top level B rider and a couple of fat C riders (who should be riding B!).  Nothing to lose but an evening shuffling shims.  If you are a big guy or under 150 lbs I probably can't help.

What is your weight and what ability?  I can provide you with a stack that works great for A and B riders between 170 and 200 lbs in rocky terrain.  Best deal around - FREE!  I have developed this stack over a 6 year period and it is used by a couple of A riders, a top level B rider and a couple of fat C riders (who should be riding B!).  Nothing to lose but an evening shuffling shims.  If you are a big guy or under 150 lbs I probably can't help.

Kenpowell thanks for your reply and generous offer. Im a top three rider in the C class 250 open WEBE Harescrambles here in Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. I have been riding for three years now and i have been improving every year. Lots of rocky terrain and trail riding but i also love to rip around fast in the desert. I have no idea whats not working out, but i most deffinitly feel like my suspension could be better than it is. I feel like there are many times that it is slowing me down either from unstability or it wearing me out cause im fighting it.

Im loving the help, thank you.

my weight stays between 180 and 188

Ive seen a few people add some after market forks that they seem to be very happy with. But what im hearing from you guys is that just getting my SSS forks that came with the 08 yz250 is just as good as anything aftermarket? My location is in Carbondale Colorado which is deep in the mountains. So I cant imagine there is an amazing suspension guy near by. My closest guess would be Grand Junction Colorado or Denver.

Do you guys know of a good suspension tuner that i could just send my forks off to for a good tune up to my weight and riding style?

thanks for your input, im really trying to get a good list of awesome stuff to do to the bike this winter and the suspension is first in line.

one more thing, if im going to get my forks tuned by a profesional than should i go ahea and send in my rear shock for the same thing?

Call Bob at Motovate racing in Rifle. He is a racetech service center! 970-456-2678 and tell him Daryl sent you his way.

I live in Snowmass and you are welcome to try out my bikes set up by Bob. Really amazing work, beyond fair prices, and you can test the work on site. He has a MX track and single track set up on his MX ranch

Also where do you ride locally?

What is your weight and what ability? I can provide you with a stack that works great for A and B riders between 170 and 200 lbs in rocky terrain. Best deal around - FREE! I have developed this stack over a 6 year period and it is used by a couple of A riders, a top level B rider and a couple of fat C riders (who should be riding B!). Nothing to lose but an evening shuffling shims. If you are a big guy or under 150 lbs I probably can't help.

Ken can you send me the stack specs. I have been playing around with my fork and shock valving for rocky terrain. I'm making progress but would like to try yours. Im 180 lbs. 06 Yz250 and 450.

Thanks

---170 lb to 190 lb A, B and fast C riders

These stacks were developed based on input from guys here on Thumpertalk plus my own modifications. I can't give enough credit to those before me who shared their stacks and the theory to go with the valveing. This stack is very good in the rocks but a little soft for sand.

Base:

32 x .11 x 6 (note that I prefer 32 x .11 x 2- 4 fewer shims but I like a plush ride - fine tune here)

30 x .11 x 1

28 x .11 x 1

26 x .11 x 1

24 x .11 x 1

22 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

14 x .25 x 2

Midvalve Compression Stack:

Note: Rebound stack is not changed

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

16 x .11 x 1

14 x .11 x 1

11 x .30 x 1

17 x .30 x 1

FLOAT = 0.6mm

330cc oil in outer tubes

BTW, I weigh 195 lbs ready-to-ride (172 lbs without cloths) and I am a mid-pack B rider.

These stacks were developed based on input from guys here on Thumpertalk plus my own modifications. I can't give enough credit to those before me who shared their stacks and the theory to go with the valveing. This stack is very good in the rocks but a little soft for sand.

Base:

32 x .11 x 6 (note that I prefer 32 x .11 x 2- 4 fewer shims but I like a plush ride - fine tune here)

30 x .11 x 1

28 x .11 x 1

26 x .11 x 1

24 x .11 x 1

22 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

14 x .25 x 2

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

16 x .11 x 1

14 x .11 x 1

11 x .30 x 1

17 x .30 x 1

FLOAT = 0.6mm

330cc oil in outer tubes

Are these developed with a woods piston in mind?

Are these developed with a woods piston in mind?

By 'woods piston' I think that is the same thing that I would call woods valving. So yes, this stack was developed for rocky, rooty single track which is about all we have in Arkansas.

Call Bob at Motovate racing in Rifle. He is a racetech service center! 970-456-2678 and tell him Daryl sent you his way.

I live in Snowmass and you are welcome to try out my bikes set up by Bob. Really amazing work, beyond fair prices, and you can test the work on site. He has a MX track and single track set up on his MX ranch

Also where do you ride locally?

wow, great news! I was not expecting a reply like this. I am going to call him first thing in the morning. Thank you very much.

I ride Triangle park, richmond ridge to taylor and star pass, pearl pass, prince creek, basalt mountain, thompson creek area, JQS, peach valley, hit up Rico this year, Moab and many more. LOOOOOOOOVE the riding this place has to offer. im nothing special on a bike but i love to get out and rip it up. 970-355-9447 if you ever want to shred. the name is Forrest.

Base:

30 x .11 x 1

28 x .11 x 1

26 x .11 x 1

24 x .11 x 1

22 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

14 x .25 x 2

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

16 x .11 x 1

14 x .11 x 1

11 x .30 x 1

17 x .30 x 1

FLOAT = 0.6mm

330cc oil in outer tubes

Is there somewhat of a guide that you have that explains the jist of this? i see numbers and desimals without any meaning but im curious and would like to learn.

Base:

30 x .11 x 1

28 x .11 x 1

26 x .11 x 1

24 x .11 x 1

22 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

14 x .25 x 2

20 x .11 x 1

18 x .11 x 1

20 x .11 x 1

16 x .11 x 1

14 x .11 x 1

11 x .30 x 1

17 x .30 x 1

FLOAT = 0.6mm

330cc oil in outer tubes

I wouldn,t trust that stack past second gear.  way too soft to be safe at speed.

After purchasing the lectron carb I'm sold on keeping my 08 yz250 and continuing to pimp it out. I was thinking about the Eric gorr 295 or the esr325 for the engine with low to mid porting but I have noooooo idea what an amazing suspension improvement would be. I have a 2000 yz 250 that I was thinking might like the 08 SSS forks on it and then I could look into purchasing a nice set of after market forks for the 08 which is my primary bike.

So if ya'll had a chance to pimp out your front suspension, how would you do it?

cvbud, No pimping required.  There is nothing holding back the potential of your 08 SSS forks, assuming you've not worn out the expensive to replace parts like the main tubes and the cartridge chamber and damper rod. 100s of TT members here who've ridden on many different makes and model forks, could back me up to say how good those SSS forks can function with fresh components and the right settings in them. For most types of riding you don't need to stray a long way from the recent stock YZ250 settings.

Just fresh oil and proper air bleeding in your SSS forks could make them 10x better than they currently are.

If you are a typical intermediate pace rider who rides on a mix of chopped up terrain MX tracks, some sand tracks, some moderately bumpy trails and some occasional fast open blasting, then you could take your 08 forks to any suspension shop and say "Service these for me with fresh oil and seals, plus I want you to put a smaller 14mm clamp shim in the base valve, and remove one 20mm face shim out of the mid valve, re-shim my float to 0.2mm, and put 330ml of oil in the outers".  Put those back on your bike, a few clicker adjustments then done deal! Those babies will have performance potential way above you or me or 99.9% of riders.   They will be substantially plusher on sharp fast hits than stock valving, but still firm enough to avoid bouncing around. You don't need any fancy after market pistons, etc.  Just move onto your shock, because it'll probably feel terrible after your forks are working real nice.

Edited by numroe

cvbud, for typical trail riding an EG 295 kit with his broad "mo betta" porting and good tuning has bucket loads of low RPM torque. Enough to wear just about any rider out (or rear tire) earlier than desired.  Based on my experience I'd not recommend the low-mid porting. Just get the broad porting and set the squish clearance and tune it up (or down), grin and hang on.  Compared to very recent Euro 300 2 strokes, I'd say the EG 295 has a lot more part throttle response at low to mid RPMs. The Euro bikes are very enduro linear, while the EG295 YZ is like "bam, I'm here".  The 295 still revs out a long way, so no need to shift gears much.  Take a couple of bananas or munchie bars to eat because you'll need them. ;)  I'm looking forward to installing a Rekluse z-start pro clutch on my 295.  Fun times indeed.

Edited by numroe

I wouldn,t trust that stack past second gear.  way too soft to be safe at speed.

To soft for the motocross track or desert - sure. I can understand why you think that this stack is to soft especially if you are an A or AA rider but this stack does work great for rocky single tract for riders under 195 lb. The trick is to get rid of the harshness and deflection off rocks while still riding high in the stroke. The beauty of doing the work yourself is that you can always put it back to stock or make adjustments to suite your terrain. For instance, just changing the float from .6mm to .2mm on the mid-valve would stiffen the action quite noticeably. Lastly, no stack will suite everyone which is what drives the Pro's nuts.