Sign in to follow this  

ANY ONE RUN STUDDED TIRES ON THEIR PIG FOR WINTER RIDING?

...I'm considering getting some studded tires for the pig. Last winter I hit a few snowmobile trails and had a blast. How effective are studs on loose snow,deep snow, hard snow packed roads ect. I will not be hitting frozen lakes though. Can you run on dry pavement without fear of crashing, or wearing the studs down too quickly?...thanks.

a5611af1e572.jpg

06f09362c387.jpg

892e518d2a09.jpg

a416d53dbcbe.jpg

On that kind of tire it becomes rideable, but it would be better if installed between knobbies and on more motocross like tires.

This method doesn't help, the difference is not that noticeable, only a little better on ice

jHg_xGC28iM.jpg

This one I didn't test

c2802c849a0a.jpg

People say they handle ok, but don't recomend anyone to be behind them. If I'll get those I most cirtainly will test them on pavement, but people I know didn't )

First of all you can't ride snow on dualsport tires. You need dot disapproved 100% offroad tires  :)

At lest 90% offroad

When it's new you can ride snow even without studs. But on ice it's unhandable 

With studs on deep snow it's almost the same as without them (looks more aggressive and thus gives you more confidence). But if there is ice or the snow becomes ice becouse of cars are tramping it constantly then studs become very handy, they grab the ice almost like it's a gravel road =)

On pavement after a few miles they are whittled away, about 10 miles and there are no studs anymore

I didn't try the factory studded tires, maybe they are better, but much more expensive out here.

Will be using just new tires without studs this winter, they do their job anyway )

Edited by MCVL

I rode my pig off and on all last winter. Im running michelin ac10's front and rear and if snowmobile trails are hard packed it can be done and is a blast. If i had studded tires that would be awesome for these trails and snow hardened dirt roads. Problem is that around here in the winter the roads are bare so getting to the trails would as you day wear down the studs quickly. I have been known to hop on the pig in sub zero freezing temperatures and travel 10-15 miles for a coffee because i was bored. Great for getting a lot of stares from motorists thinking i am crazy for being out on a bike in the middle of winter in freezing weather. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

I tried sheet metal screws with the hex heads, & they worked ok, especially on some of the frozen paths wear something already packed it down, the fresh snow has good traction with plain knobs. (problem with sheet metal screws is, when I got home to check for wear, they were missing!!!) I was bummed, because I will probably find them back in my tire, in summer, with a flat. If they were thru bolted & had the carbide tips, I would think they would be great! On road they were manageable. they only stuck out approx. 3/16ths.

If you have a spare knobby, there was a dude that would cut out some knobs off & install the square spike plates (thru bolt) from a snowmobile belt, in their place. Might have seen on  youtube? Looked like it was the way to go.

I've taken my XR650R out on frozen lakes several times, this is footage from a day when the snow was fairly deep.

I'm running a selfmade front tire with Kold Kutters Ice screws, these offer FANTASTIC grip on ice, they are cheap and can be installed on any knobbed tire, downside is that they are only for ice, the metal is soft and will wear within minutes on gravel or asphalt.

rear tire is a carbide studded michelin, don't remember the exact model, studs stick about 7-9mm out from the knobs and offer good traction in all conditions, deep snow, clear ice, snowcovered gravel, you name it, they are also very tough since they have carbide cores, downside is that they are expensive, but if ridden on only ice they will last several seasons

the problem with riding with studded tires is that you can't really compromise much, if you only ride off road in deep snow or ice, then you really need something with long studs, trelleborgs or the factory studded michelins are excellent options, but you can't ride on asphalt with tires like that, the long studs makes the bike dangerous and downright unridable on any bare road, you will kill the studs FAST on asphalt too.

you do get tires with studding for road-use, but these are terrible offroad and hopeless in deep snow, the studs are basicly the same as studs in car tires.

any selfmade tires using sheetmetal screws, kold kutters or snowmobile spikes will either be to weak for serious snow\ice or too aggressive for road use.

Edit: I've actually ridden the 650R through the city I live in once when there was a big snowstorm, I figured the snow was deep enough to coushin the studs, people stared and gawked when I came roaring through the streets pulling wheelies when people couldn't even drive their cars on them....

Edited by Norway

Although i would like to try a set of studs it sounds like a pain in the ass. If the roads were snow packed most of the time i would give it a try. I think i would be wearing them down too quickly. Like i mentioned there are a lot of days through the winter around here when the roads are completely bare. Then there is other days when i can not get out of my igloo because there is so much snow. If i do manage to get out i have to wrestle the bears for the food left in my traps...its hard being a canadian in the winter you know..... :thumbsup: 

I have a whole jar of hex head screws,,new........that were given to me by a guy who used to ice race motocross bikes...

want them........... :rolleyes:

B

I have a whole jar of hex head screws,,new........that were given to me by a guy who used to ice race motocross bikes...

want them........... :rolleyes:

B

Thanks, but i think im gonna pass on the idea of studded tires. And theres no freakin way that im taking this pig out for a rip on the ice. I can see a broken leg for my effort...lol....i think a nice quad racer on some hard packed snowmobile trails might however provide some thrills. :thumbsup:

CHICKEN

B

Hell yeah. I can not even skate on ice or swim. I don't see me driving a pig out on a frozen lake any time soon. :naughty:  :cripple:

Me neither,,i`m a puss y.........i hate cold..now give a a sidexside with heated cab,,and beer,,and i`m in.. :devil:

B

Im starting to get the impression that you like " Beer " ? :lol: .I hate cold also. Hey Brian, have you had to do any repairs to the wall of your igloo recently?

Im starting to get the impression that you like " Beer " ? :lol: .I hate cold also. Hey Brian, have you had to do any repairs to the wall of your igloo recently?

No...........i now live in a refrigerated old railway box car........so i can just leave beer anywhere i like and it stays cold..i can just set it down on my pepsi crate coffee table,,go out 6 hours,come back,,still cold.. :thumbsup: ..just need to hook up my waterbed to the hot water heater,,be right back..

B

Edited by brianhare

I've ridden a YZ250 with the screw in ice studs(that why I bought a bag of 500) and it was fun on tha pond and down the river but really hard to get your mindset past the fact that your on ice on a bike, you shouldn't be doing that! I still have the studs, but unfortunately if it gets snowy and ice covered roads , then I stud up a set. I will be pulled over immediately by the men in blue for illegal tires. They'll know that I'm studded because I'm not laying on the road.

I was really looking at some Dunlop TrailMax radials for this winter on one of my XT's or klr to see how good they are. The XL has 606's so they should work ok, I hope, anyone use them in snow ice? will be mostly road in the winter, snowmobile trail will land me in jail( ya Wisconsin sucks) Any other tire really good in cold and ice/snow road use?

I've ridden a YZ250 with the screw in ice studs(that why I bought a bag of 500) and it was fun on tha pond and down the river but really hard to get your mindset past the fact that your on ice on a bike, you shouldn't be doing that! I still have the studs, but unfortunately if it gets snowy and ice covered roads , then I stud up a set. I will be pulled over immediately by the men in blue for illegal tires. They'll know that I'm studded because I'm not laying on the road.

I was really looking at some Dunlop TrailMax radials for this winter on one of my XT's or klr to see how good they are. The XL has 606's so they should work ok, I hope, anyone use them in snow ice? will be mostly road in the winter, snowmobile trail will land me in jail( ya Wisconsin sucks) Any other tire really good in cold and ice/snow road use?

it doesn't really take too long to get your mind past the fact that you are riding on water...

if you are looking at good factory-studded tires I would look at trelleborg, winter tires are their speciality.

there is other days when i can not get out of my igloo because there is so much snow. If i do manage to get out i have to wrestle the bears for the food left in my traps...its hard being a canadian in the winter you know..... :thumbsup: 

being a canadian bear could u not simply ask it nicely for the food in your trap back?

theres no freakin way that im taking this pig out for a rip on the ice. I can see a broken leg for my effort

how is coming off on the ice any worse than say bitumen its no harder, man up princess  :p

Don't believe the hype. Not all canadians are super friendly, BUT half of us do live in igloos.

• Like 1

Don't believe the hype. Not all canadians are super friendly, BUT half of us do live in igloos.

Me thinks you froze your head a little to much,,get the heater out..

:devil:

B

Me thinks you froze your head a little to much,,get the heater out..

:devil:

B

Yeah, i suppose we don't want our friends to the south thinking we all live in igloos and that its winter here year round. :rolleyes: .That reminds me  of an incident that happened years ago. A car pulled over with a california plate sporting a ski rack with skies one july day when the temperature was in the high 80's. His wife and himself looked confused. They couldn't find any snow to ski on. I laughed my ass off in front of themfor a minuit before breaking the news to them. :lol: ...true story.

Check out our product... Grip Studs, they are DIY studs with tungsten carbide cores and tips, and a wide auger screw that holds tight. A sheet metal screw can puncture your tire pretty easily. We had that issue, so that why we designed our stud. check us out

www.gripstuds.com