Sign in to follow this  

Set up 2013 KX450f from stock to cross country racing

I recently bought a 2013 KX450f new. It is stock right now but I want it to be fully set up for cross country racing (TCCRA, TORCS, TORN - Texas circuits). Any advice how to change the bike?

Since this is your first post, HELLO!!  Welcome to the community. :applause:

To get the best answers, go to the KX450 specific forum where all the Kawi guys are talking Kawi goodness.  They'll give you all the information you need.  That link is here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/70-kx450f/

But, be warned, there is a search box at the top of each forum.  Learn it, know it, live it.  Any questions you have, most likely, have already been answered many times.  Failure to at least attempt using the search may result in some scolding.

Roost on!! :banana:  :ride:

I recently bought a 2013 KX450f new. It is stock right now but I want it to be fully set up for cross country racing (TCCRA, TORCS, TORN - Texas circuits). Any advice how to change the bike?

Suspension, Suspension, Suspension first.  Stock is for MX and is going to be a little too stiff for that stuff.  The bike has more than enough engine.  Get your suspension setup for your weight, riding ability and terrain.

• Like 1

Suspension, Suspension, Suspension first.  Stock is for MX and is going to be a little too stiff for that stuff.  The bike has more than enough engine.  Get your suspension setup for your weight, riding ability and terrain.

Suspension is any racer's key to winning, that's the best advice you'll get.. even from a bunch of wannabe pro riders on ThumperTalk.

Gas tank--you'll need to have a range 40 miles on a tank of gas, I'm not sure how far you can get on the stocker tank but you may need a little more

Skid plate

Hand guards--go with Enduro Engineering, the black ones that are plain looking but the best-- they have a full wrap around the hand design

Radiator guards--Bulletproof Designs is the best

Heavy duty tubes w/Slime, or Bib Mousses, or TUbliss

Not necessary but nice to have:

High performance pipe and exhaust--research which ones are better for your bike, I'm unsure

18" rear wheel

Scott's steering damper

Exhaust pipe guard (far more important for smoker riders like me)

Keep us updated on what you get done and how it performs! 

• Like 1

Were you at the Storrie Farm last Saturday??  I ran practice, nice and tacky course with the rain we've had lately.  That's my 1st time checking out Storrie's endurocross course, it's fun!

Hey DayWalker,

I just started racing TORCS in September on my '08 YZ450f, so I'm sort of in the same boat.

I only raced at one event and now I'm recovering from a nasty get off at a motocross track - I'll be out for a while.

During that down time I intend to turn my bike into a Hare Scrambles weapon.

Agree that suspension is the first order of business.  Plush is what you want in HS.  Depending on your size, you may need to re-spring the bike.

Certainly tune with the clickers, oil weight and level first I'd say.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned that I think should be a priority is a Rekluse clutch.

I can tell you from experience, stalling a 450f in the woods when you are fatigued BLOWS, and it WILL happen.  I haven't put a Rekluse in my

bike yet, but it's the first thing I'm going to do.

I absolutely abused my clutch during my race.  It is not going to hold up to that kind of torture for long.

I was against the whole auto-clutch thing until I actually did the race.  Now I'm a believer.

I don't know that I'll need a flywheel weight after the Rekluse, but that's a thought as well.  I don't think the flyweight is just for stalling, but can help mellow the power delivery

some and make it perform better on trails.  Perhaps someone else can weigh in on this.

I definitely didn't need a bigger tank for D class racing, and I think I'd be fine in C class as well (based on number of laps).  Above that the tank size could become an issue.

After that it's the obvious things mentioned on here:

hand guards

skid plate (wraparound kind that also protects the water pump)

anything beyond that is a 'nice to have':

steering damper

trimmed down flex bars

softer seat

radiator guards

Were you at the Storrie Farm last Saturday??  I ran practice, nice and tacky course with the rain we've had lately.  That's my 1st time checking out Storrie's endurocross course, it's fun!

Yes I was out there, I ran in the Sportsman B and had a great time. Yea the endurocross section is great. You should do his buddy race as well - we start the race running the endurocross course on foot then jumping on our bikes! haha!.  I used to race heavy TCCRA then went off to college and stopped. I just got this bike to get back into it so I wanted to see what the first course of action would be to get the bike set up. Seems like I will put my limited cash into the supsension first ha.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had just got into running open expert in TCCRA 5 years ago before I stopped racing and went off to college now I want to get back into it the right way and get the bike set up right. I will be putting my limited cash into some suspension first. My recent first race back wore me down and I think that suspension could really help! I will ask a few more questions about where to get suspension done in Houston on the kawi specific forum (thanks DrFeelGood haha) thanks guys!