Sign in to follow this  

1992 Honda CR 125 engine swap.

Hi everyone.

I have a 1992 Honda CR 125.If I can find a 1998 and newer Honda CR 125 with an aluminium frame with a seized engine,can I build the 1992 engine into the newer bike?Will it fit or must I change the brackets for the engine?

Thanks

Edited by Rudolph

The '98 frame will acept the '92 engine perfectly. Everything the same!

'99 up have larger engine mounting bolts (10mm instead of the older 8mm) but the bolts are still in the exact same location. But you would still be able to put a '92 in a '99 frame. Either just use the slimmer bolts and thighten hard or widen the bolt holes of your '92 cases so they axept the slightly bigger diameter of the newer bolts.

Edited by nino

Thanks 

It will take much time and money to fix my 1992 CR so will just looking for an 1998 model with everything except the engine and just build the 1992 engine in it.And the exhaust pipe and silencer? I want to put a FMF Fatty or gnarly with a Turbinecore on it.Must I buy it for a 1992 or 1998?

And there is a big square hole in the bottom of my airbox,must it be there?

Edited by Rudolph

Thanks 

It will take much time and money to fix my 1992 CR so will just looking for an 1998 model with everything except the engine and just build the 1992 engine in it.And the exhaust pipe and silencer? I want to put a FMF Fatty or gnarly with a Turbinecore on it.Must I buy it for a 1992 or 1998?

And there is a big square hole in the bottom of my airbox,must it be there?

The engine will fit easily. As mentioned everything is the same. If you get a CR 125 '98 be sure to change the rubber flange which sits between the airbox and carburetor with the one off a 250 as the stock one on the '98 125  is too restrictive!

Exhausts of older years would fit BUT the rear mount on the '98 exhaust sits just above the kickstarter while on older years it was farther back in that rear triangle of the subframe. So yes-if you have to buy a pipe&silencer get it for the '98 !

While you are at it maybe get some '98/'99 HPP valves/guides as those perform best in those HPP engines!

Yes - the grey (or is it white?) airbox of the '92 has that square opening on the bottom.

@nino

THANX!!

Yes the airbox is white.Will  the '98 exhaust will make no difference the the engine?

No-those engines basically are identical. The '98 exhaust will fit well enough. The differences are minor.

But as mentioned by another user: why not just get a complete CR 125 and redo that other engine?

I am the first to tell you that 1990-1999 engines are great but honestly-why not just get a complete 98 or 99 and redo the engine?

No,I don't have the funds to redo the whole bike.So I will look for a 1998 bike without engine and just build my engine in it.And I like to build a custom bike!

Is a Gen 3 frame a 2003? And which year of the newest frames will fit the best(2003-2007)?

Edited by Rudolph

And what about the CDI.Must I use the 1998 CDI?

No-you can still re-use the '92 parts. However if you have access to all the needed parts like : Flywheel, stator and coil and CDI unit off a '98 put those in your '92! But only if you have everything that belongs together.Don't mix electronic parts from different years! But all 98 or all 99 would be the best for the old-style HPP engine!

What all needs to be swapped on your 92?? It may be cheaper to fix that instead of paying 400-500 for a roller at least that's what they go for around here

Thanks Nino

Is it possible that I can put the 92' fork, rear shock and swing arm on the 98' frame?

I am wanting to do the same thing I have a 91' and a 99' CR 125.

Just remind you that '99 engines have 10mm motor mount bolts while earlier engines up to '98 had 8mm bolts. This is no big deal though-just thighten the '99 engine real thight in the older chassis using the thinner 8mm bolts ! ;)