Sign in to follow this  

Ankle Braces

So, broke my leg 4 months ago and am completely healed now, but my ankle is still very prone to rolling if I step the right way. I am also unable to run for more than about 20 yards before my ankle says that's enough. I have found that wearing boots negates both of those things, but they're a pain to put on and take off repeatedly. I was hoping that an ankle brace would allow me to wear regular shoes again and still be able to run, jump, etc.

What are your guys' recommendations?

So, broke my leg 4 months ago and am completely healed now, but my ankle is still very prone to rolling if I step the right way. I am also unable to run for more than about 20 yards before my ankle says that's enough. I have found that wearing boots negates both of those things, but they're a pain to put on and take off repeatedly. I was hoping that an ankle brace would allow me to wear regular shoes again and still be able to run, jump, etc.

What are your guys' recommendations?

did you get a prescription of physical therapy? if not, and you have insurance that covers it, i would try to get one. it you go to a good, sports-medicine oriented place, they will help you build the strength in your leg and ankle back up without injuring yourself. i'd be hesitant to be running and jumping until you do that. (i'm spreaking from experience with a number of ankle injuries and, most recently, a broken leg that resulted in getting a plate and several screws a year ago.)

having said that, i used one of these for a month or so when was first starting to ride/run/jump/etc. outside of physical therapy (but not before my PT said i had built up enough strength and gave me to OK):

http://shop.riteaid.com/ACE-TekZone-Ankle-Brace-Deluxe/dp/B000KOHWRU?class=quickView&field_availability=-2&field_browse=3068403011&id=ACE+TekZone+Ankle+Brace+Deluxe&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=3068403011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12#.UmaxjRBli58

Edited by LittleRedToyota

P.T is all said and done (U of M MedSport) they said I can go race, run, etc as long as I was careful about it. My muscles are as strong as they were before, for the most part. With how I broke my leg, I virtually destroyed a large amount of the cartilage in my ankle, which is what's causing the most of the problem I think. (Can feel some "play" in my ankle)