Sign in to follow this  

Best jetting for a 2001 stock E model?

Hi all, its been a while(been riding my xr400! lol) I felt it was time for a change and get that sweet E button so I picked up a drz400e. 1st thing is to completely go over the bike and get it 100% before going riding. I'd like to remove the coast enrichener and get it to start better. From what I've seen, I can remove the whole thing, plug the nipple on the head and run a hose from nip to nip on the carb. I did that and ended up flooding the bike and couldn't get it started again. :banghead:  I'm looking for some real world adjustments that work. I'm at sea level and the bike is all stock except an air filter. Also any idea how many turns on the air screw?

update:  I let the bike sit a few day and it fired right up! :applause:  I did the free CE mod and it had a really bad bog. If I pinched the hose that went from nip to nip it would rev up so ended up plugging them too. Ordered one of those adjustable fuel screws so I don't have to remove the carb every time I need to adjust it. The PO said the carb was cleaned by a shop so maybe they changed jets?

Remove the snorkle, 160 main jet, EMN needle 3rd clip. Start with 1.5 turns out on the A/F screw. May end up around 2+ depending upon the outside temperature. If a bog accurs search TT or the eddie mod.

• Like 1

update:  I let the bike sit a few day and it fired right up! :applause:  I did the free CE mod and it had a really bad bog. If I pinched the hose that went from nip to nip it would rev up so ended up plugging them too. Ordered one of those adjustable fuel screws so I don't have to remove the carb every time I need to adjust it. The PO said the carb was cleaned by a shop so maybe they changed jets?

If your carb has a 60 pilot air jet you join the ports with hose......

If 100 pilot air jet is installed , cap the ports....

The above jetting is ok....

use a 45 pilot jet...

turn the fuel screw in until the idle drops, then turn out until it peaks and runs smooth....

Ensure the engine is at operating temp

Edited by Craigo 485sm

More updates:

Ended up checking the valves and they were all in spec. :thumbsup: I also took the carb off to see what the setting are. Looks like everything is still stock. Fuel screw was 2 1/2 turns out, didn't check needle yet. I'm still baffled why it ran better with all the nipples plugged opposite of what everyone says to link the 2 on the carb??

Can I get away with just a 160 main and pull the snokle? Otherwise I may just keep it stock, just want it to run perfect.....

More updates:

Can I get away with just a 160 main and pull the snokle? Otherwise I may just keep it stock, just want it to run perfect.....

You could do that tough the power curve will not be as smooth with the stock needle compared to the EMN.

More updates:

Ended up checking the valves and they were all in spec. :thumbsup: I also took the carb off to see what the setting are. Looks like everything is still stock. Fuel screw was 2 1/2 turns out, didn't check needle yet. I'm still baffled why it ran better with all the nipples plugged opposite of what everyone says to link the 2 on the carb??

Your pilot jet could be dirty, was it a #45? You could try to clean it but many would recomend replacing it.

• Like 1

Your pilot jet could be dirty, was it a #45? You could try to clean it but many would recomend replacing it.

The #45 jet looks fine. Bike idled great.......I'm thinking of blowing all the jets etc. out and running it stock for now. Down the road I can get the needle and jets.

More updates:

Did you actually read what I said in post#4 in reference to the capping  ..???????

If you run the stock OBDXP needle , pull the snorkel and use clip # 5 ...

160 main jet and 45 pilot jet...2.25 turns FS

Due to the corn juice factor , you would be wise to replace jets with new..

Did you actually read what I said in post#4 in reference to the capping  ..???????

If you run the stock OBDXP needle , pull the snorkel and use clip # 5 ...

160 main jet and 45 pilot jet...2.25 turns FS

Due to the corn juice factor , you would be wise to replace jets with new..

Yes, I read it but the bike idled like crap with the hoses linked. For now, I'm going to button it back up, keep the snorkel in and give it a try. Will work on getting the right jets/needle. Thanks