Newbie wanting to learn, can I get some guidance?

Hello all! I recently purchased an 07 DRZ400SM. I lurked for a while and did some research and I really like the bike!

The bike I bought seems a little ragged out. It was dangerously low on oil(Which was pretty old/used.....maybe 1 quart came out when I drained it. Yes I got both the frame drain and the engine drain. I also noticed a drain below the oil filter, that's pretty neat). I am fine with this, because I want to make this my project! I want to go over the whole bike and refresh anything that needs it. As well as some performance-related mods while I've got everything disassembled. I've got the time and money to throw at the bike. But I will need guidance, as I am new to motorcycles! (This is my first bike. And the 2nd bike I've ever ridden) The bike has about 16,000 miles on it. 

The bike actually works just fine. I've ridden it back and fourth to work a couple of times. It's just really, really noisy. There's all kinds of little rattles and whatnot. It starts and accelerates fine. (as best I can tell, I have no other DRZ400s to compare it to) Brakes work fine and it shifts smoothly enough.

If the oil is any indication, the PO did not do much maintenance. I've replaced the front sprocket (4 teeth were sheared off!) and will be replacing the rear sprocket soon. (It's pretty worn) The front sprocket was changed to a 16 tooth, the rear is the stock 41 tooth. Basically, it has undetermined mods and an undetermined history......but I'm going to go ahead and assume the worst. It does have a MCCT. I loosened it up and checked it......the screw wasn't making contact so I adjusted it in. That took care of a lot of the noise. I'm guessing that was the cam chain slapping around in there. After adjusting, the noise came back over the course of a day.....so I'm guessing the chain and/or cams and/or tensioner are worn. Since it was oil deprived, I'm guessing the head is probably worn too. This is a whole lot of guessing, I know. I plan on tearing this thing down and rebuilding it. I wont truly know anything until I get inside.

When I replaced the front sprocket(With another 16tooth) I also did the red loctite fix on the countershaft.

My problem comes from my inexperience. I'm no stranger to motors and wrenching.....but I'm no mechanic.

Where do I start? I'm gonna need some sort of shop manual for this bike, any recommendations? Besides the basic tools, what other specialty tools am I going to need?

TL;DR Bought a used bike. Unknown history and potential damage. Want to rebuild, where to start? What manual do you guys recommend? I'm sure I'll have a hundred questions at a later point but right now I'm trying to plan this whole thing out time/money wise.

I know this is a pretty big project for a newbie, and I'm cool with that. I want to LEARN.

Also, should I go ahead and start working on it? Or would I be okay to ride it until it dies?

*EDIT* I did notice it has the 3x3 done while I was cleaning the foam air filter.

Edited by Arak-Nafein

1st:

What every DRZ Needs; Protection, Reliability fixes, Common Maint.
Started by E.Marquez01 Feb 2012 02:49 AM

2nd: That is not an oil filter drain,, it is a oil pressure test port, and not designed to be removed often.

3rd: Best manual in my opinion is the factory service manual, find um new, used, and maybe even a mostly usable one for a different model DRZ on line
  • Like 1

1st:

Started by E.Marquez, 01 Feb 2012 02:49 AM

2nd: That is not an oil filter drain,, it is a oil pressure test port, and not designed to be removed often.

3rd: Best manual in my opinion is the factory service manual, find um new, used, and maybe even a mostly usable one for a different model DRZ on line

Thank you! It's a lot to take in for a newbie. I'm glad to see all the "fixes" aggregated into one thread.

Whoops! I thought that was a drain. Haha, see what I mean? I know just enough to be dangerous!

I'm working on acquiring a manual. Looks like the factory manual is the best option?

first thing I would do is check my valves. make sure they are in spec....

Yes, I need to do this pronto. Thank you for reminding me.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. At this point I don't know enough to ask the proper questions. So I'm gonna do the "fixes" and check my valves and I'll reevaluate after I acquire a manual. Coming into this as a newbie is a little overwhelming because there is so much info on the DRZ400 it's hard to catalog it all!

• Like 1

I don't know if you have seen this but this write up will help with getting the MCCT adjusted properly. 

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552694-mcct-install-guide-and-why-one-is-recommended/

And if you haven't read the FAQ sub-forum there's a lot of good info here.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/215-drz400-faq/

Edited by npm

I don't know if you have seen this but this write up will help with getting the MCCT adjusted properly. 

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552694-mcct-install-guide-and-why-one-is-recommended/

And if you haven't read the FAQ sub-forum there's a lot of good info here.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/215-drz400-faq/

Yep, that's the way I adjusted the MCCT. Finger tight until friction is felt. Start motor and get it to that point JUUUUST where the noise stops then lock it down. The problem is

A ) The MCCT is almost all the way in now....there's maybe 1/4"-1/2" adjustment left on the screw. and

B ) The noise came back after riding. (The MCCT didn't back out. It's locked down pretty tight.)

I'm guessing something in the chain/cams/tensioner are worn/stretched pretty bad.

Edited by Arak-Nafein

Yep, that's the way I adjusted the MCCT. Finger tight until friction is felt. Start motor and get it to that point JUUUUST where the noise stops then lock it down. The problem is

A ) The MCCT is almost all the way in now....there's maybe 1/4"-1/2" adjustment left on the screw. and

B ) The noise came back after riding. (The MCCT didn't back out. It's locked down pretty tight.)

Common result when an MCCT is installed on a motor with an already worn out cam chain

Hello. With the age of your bike a new cam chain would be in order and probably some new cam chain guides. Of course there are many other things to check. Valve clearences, carb and its jetting, the oil screen from the frame tank to engine, a new oil filter and oil change, etc. When checking the valves look at the cam lobes for wear. Look for signs that the cam journals may have over heated which may in turn lead to pulling one to see if the cam and journal bearing surfaces are smooth. Look up the common LockTite fixes and make sure they are done. The stator bolts coming loose present lots of troubles as well the counter shaft nut and seal. When you replace the sprockets it is best to get a new chain too. For the suspension you should have the forks and shock serviced by a pro if not familular with them. The oil needs to be changed and the sludge cleaned out of them. At that time it would be good to have them valved and sprung to your riding weight for best performance. Many many things to do. Get that service manual and read lots here to get you going in the right direction.

Welcome to TT and the community of DR-Z riding! :D

Never be leary of asking questions. Lots of good peeps here to help you. May just have to weed out some of the answers though and dont let some of the common BS that goes on get to you. Best of luck to you...

I'm a newbie too, and I like your phrase "know enough to be dangerous"...that's me too ? .

What I did on mine (up to now):

- took out the rear swingarm, cleaned and greased everything

-same with steering bearings

-front forks and rear shock cleaned, revalved, oil changed (obviously)

-new tires

-coolant change

-brake fluids change

-new front brake pads

-new battery

-vacuum petcock replaced by yamaha raptor manual petcock

-cleaned Mikuni carb, still not working, removed enricher spring and runs like a charm

-loctite fix on sprocket shaft and generator

-valve clearance check

-decompressor removed

-new twin air filter w/ motul filter oil

-new throttle cable

To do : check those nuts next to the clutch, get a damped rear hub, ummm...guess that's all I can think of now.

Edited by michaelks

I'm a newbie too, and I like your phrase "know enough to be dangerous"...that's me too ? .

What I did on mine (up to now):

- took out the rear swingarm, cleaned and greased everything

-same with steering bearings

-front forks and rear shock cleaned, revalved, oil changed (obviously)

-new tires

-coolant change

-brake fluids change

-new front brake pads

-new battery

-vacuum petcock replaced by yamaha raptor manual petcock

-cleaned Mikuni carb, still not working, removed enricher spring and runs like a charm

-loctite fix on sprocket shaft and generator

-valve clearance check

-decompressor removed

-new twin air filter w/ motul filter oil

-new throttle cable

To do : check those nuts next to the clutch, get a damped rear hub, ummm...guess that's all I can think of now.

Free power mod ?

1st:

Started by E.Marquez, 01 Feb 2012 02:49 AM

EM nailed it in his first post.......Study the FAQS, it's the gospel for your DRZ.....

Then when you want to go shopping look at the popular Parts List........https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1025434-dr-z400-popular-parts-list-updated-0614/