Help for my first personal bike

Hi everyone, 

I am looking into getting a dirt bike next year, and I'm a bit stuck on what to start looking for. I've never had my own bike, but I have ridden my friends bikes many times before. For a background; I'm 20, weigh 160 with gear on, am 5' 11", and I race downhill mountain bikes. I am completely comfortable hitting 30ft jumps, and bombing down hills as quick as possible. I rode for one year and then immediately started racing, and did well. I won my class and continue to keep racing. Don't know if this factors in but I thought I'd put it in here anyways. But in the off season, I cannot ride my downhill bike everywhere. I want to stay on a bike, and keep my skill up and try to improve it in the mean time. A dirt bike seems like a good fit for me, and the surrounding areas behind my house are filled with dirt bikers.

I will be saving up for about 10 months to have all the money I need for the bike, a hitch rack and boots, so price limit on the bike doesn't matter. I want a new bike, or year old bike in good condition. The trails around my house are wide open access roads, there are technical moto trails with ruts, jumps, whoops, and I want to take it out to the local motocross track occasionally too. Now I know I want a 250cc or 450cc, but I don't know which type of bike. Meaning I don't know if I would want (say) a yz250f or a wr250f. Or do I want a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke, I have no idea. I recently got on a 125cc bike (Honda I believe) and it was lacking in size and power. Lastly, this bike will be with me for a while, and I since I will be putting out a fair amount of money, I want to make sure that once I get comfortable on the bike, I am satisfied with it. I would hate to buy a 250cc, have it for a year, and then want more power. 

Any info or help would be great!

Edited by MecDude22

Go with a yz250. 2 strokes are cheaper to maintain if you're just getting into the sport and the yz can be set up for just about anything. You defiantly won't get bored with the power of one either... They can get a novice rider in trouble pretty quickly.

Go with a yz250. 2 strokes are cheaper to maintain if you're just getting into the sport and the yz can be set up for just about anything. You defiantly won't get bored with the power of one either... They can get a novice rider in trouble pretty quickly.

Thanks for the help. A 250 2t seems better that a 450 4t to me, as I feel having a 450cc bike for my first would be too much. Ill go to my local powersports shop and see what they recommend as well. 

Thanks for the help. A 250 2t seems better that a 450 4t to me, as I feel having a 450cc bike for my first would be too much. Ill go to my local powersports shop and see what they recommend as well.

Also, since your new, look into a crf250x or a wr250f. Those are 4strokes set up for woods riding. They are really good entry level bikes & can be modded to get more out of them. They are very easy to ride & dependable. For 2 strokes there is a kdx200 & KTM 200xcw & exc. These are great small bore woods bikes that still have a lot of power & are dependable bikes. And like the other poster said, the yz250 (06-13) are great bikes that work well in the woods or the track. Hope this helps, good luck with your search. Just do a lot of reading online, you'll find out what suits your needs & wants.

200 2t is a good suggestion

Hi everyone, 

. I recently got on a 125cc bike (Honda I believe) and it was lacking in size and power. Lastly, this bike will be with me for a while, and I since I will be putting out a fair amount of money, I want to make sure that once I get comfortable on the bike, I am satisfied with it. I would hate to buy a 250cc, have it for a year, and then want more power. 

Any info or help would be great!

If you are 5'11 and 160# -- you are not outside normal size parameters.    All the big bikes are sized similarly (physical dimensions) - a 125 is just as tall as 450 in most cases

A 125 has enough power - if you are new to the sport though, you may not have the skills 125's need to unlock their power right away -- they are high rpm machines and like to be ridden on the rev limiter  at low rpms , they can feel slow but this is an illusion-- same for KTM 150's.   A 250F 4 stroke is much easier to ride because it does have some low end and a broader powerband in general.  

250 2 strokes make power that is competitive with 450 4 strokes-most riders never have a legit reason to need more power than a modern 250 2 stroke has to offer

A 450 has the most power, but in general is mellower and easier to ride than a 250 2 stroke, despite having a couple more ponies

Professional MX racing is not real world riding for most of us, but the lap times of the pros on 250F and 450F machines have been similar forever.  In the old days , it was the same with 125 vs 250 2 strokes.   

You likely never would get bored with the power a good 250F MX bike puts out.   Only prob is if you are talking about keeping the same bike for a few years -- a 250F will eat up more money in maintenance costs than a 2 stroke of any size or a 450

I wouldn't seriously consider a 125,  but a KTM 150 has possibilities, - as does a 200, but a 200 is geared much more towards woods riding than a 150 ----

And the problem people have with selecting a bike with too much power right off the bat, is they never have a chance to learn the fundamentals.   Tons of guys buy a 53-55 hp 450 as their first bike, - then their done with it in 6 months.  Its just too much of a good thing all at once.   The power is great, but is distracting at the same time when you are mastering shifting, braking, line selection, and other fundamental skills

So if you are buying new ------  I would buy a 250F, then I would maintain it like you probably do your downhill bike (or at least the way your supposed to maintain your DH bike) , but I would also give strong consideration to a KTM 150 2 stroke , (which has almost the same power as a 250F ) - and the 200 KTM has a very loyal following - they are great bikes, but as I mentioned above, they don't make a mx specific model like they do the 150's  if MX type use is more your bag