Sign in to follow this  

Is this stator oil-baked ?

I was reading a post about what went wrong with DRZ's over the years and there were many mentions to stator failures, and in connection with the "deep fired stator" post in the FAQ I wonder if the dark colour on mine means the PO didn't change the oil as he should have done, and in turn if I will experience said failure in the near future ?

4kr0.jpg

I was reading a post about what went wrong with DRZ's over the years and there were many mentions to stator failures, and in connection with the "deep fired stator" post in the FAQ I wonder if the dark colour on mine means the PO didn't change the oil as he should have done, and in turn if I will experience said failure in the near future ?

Posted Image

no? Thats its colour

4kr0.jpg

The gold standard to diagnose a working stator is electrically testing the stator and the charging system.

If your asking of the stator in your picture looks like it has been over heated and or had oil carbonize on the winding's no.. That one looks brand new to me. 

Thanks guys, one less thing to worry about. In fact, the bike is practically new, with only about 2000 km, but over a few years, and a lot can happen in between, so I'm taking no chances before I completely trust it. I'll do the 'free power' procedure after I'm finished with the mechanical stuff.

Edited by michaelks