new chain time

06 xr650l...12000 miles on this chain, it is alarmingly at the end of the cam adjustment. I thought about just removing links but then reconsidered. Looked at EK chains ...apparently the 520 ...but many dufferent types. What one would you consider for lots of street riding and perhaps....30% dirt. Thanks to all.

Dunno..I'm not one for spending huge amounts on chains..O-ring with a removable joining link is what I go for.,,Pretty sure I have an EK on my bike,,whatever it is it wasn't over a $100..Lasting well and I do about the same as what you do as a usage of the bike..

And Yes,,I do have an EK chain.Checked when I went down to the storage to replace a clutch lever oil seal...Forgot to get the number off the side but it's an O-ring 520..Good chain.,No hesitation recommending one..

Edited by Horri

06 xr650l...12000 miles on this chain, it is alarmingly at the end of the cam adjustment. I thought about just removing links but then reconsidered. Looked at EK chains ...apparently the 520 ...but many dufferent types. What one would you consider for lots of street riding and perhaps....30% dirt. Thanks to all.

I have 13,000 miles on my bike with original rear sprocket and chain. My riding consists of mostly street with about 10-20% dirt use. The roads in Moose Jaw are filthy though, almost qualifying as dirt use. Moose Jaw is a hole. Anyway, sprockets and chain are still in good shape with reasonable adjustment left for the chain.

My maintenance program consists of cleaning with kerosene and lubrication with heavy gear oil as well as smearing a light coating of moly paste on the inside surface of the rollers.

I plan on changing f/r sprockets and chain as a set, but decided to try something different when I change out the original set.

I bought two D.I.D. non-o-ring chains. The two chains will be in use on a rotational basis.

My chain cleaner will simply be a bucket with a screen shelf midway down, with the bucket filled a ways over the screen with kerosene. An old pad sander will be strapped/taped

to the outside of the bucket, sending "cleaning waves" over the immersed chain.

I plan on regulary unclipping one chain, dropping it into the vibrating kerosene bath to clean it, then immersing the chain in heavy gear oil while it waits its next turn for use.

It will be interesting to see how long these chains will last with frequent cleaning and lubricating.

Edited by paul246

I use a similar routine.

The sander is a great idea.  

Do you heat the oil?

Is the 520x110 series standard for the xr650l? The DID chain indicates the Super nz 520x110 fits 1993-2009.

Dunno..I'm not one for spending huge amounts on chains..O-ring with a removable joining link is what I go for.,,Pretty sure I have an EK on my bike,,whatever it is it wasn't over a $100..Lasting well and I do about the same as what you do as a usage of the bike..

And Yes,,I do have an EK chain.Checked when I went down to the storage to replace a clutch lever oil seal...Forgot to get the number off the side but it's an O-ring 520..Good chain.,No hesitation recommending one..

You will get a ton of opinion, but I am with Horri on this one.  I get the Primary Drive chains from RMATV.  I have them on all my big bikes and they do great.  I put one on my CRF250 Last October, ran four races and about 20 hours on track and trail, and its still great.  Heck, I even blow it out with a power washer, which "they" say not to do, and oil it after every ride.  Another big thing is keeping it adjusted.  And don;t take out a link.  The other ones are worn just as bad and that isn't caused by stretching it is caused my metal wearing down and getting thinner.  Like the teeth on your sprockets, it happens.

Whatever you do, change chain and sprockets as a set all together.  Another reason why I did Primary Drive because those sets are very reasonable.  Yes, you can get a Renthal and they are great chains and sprockets, but let's accept who we are and what these things are used for.  Non-agressive street and dirt riding.  Maybe a hammer to the throttle every once in a while, but for the most part getting to work and exploring some dirt roads in the weekends.

Your choice, but if you are the kind of guy that waits until the last mark on the cam to address a chain issue, then I will assume you are looking for something fairly reasonable in regards to cost and durability.  And don't feel bad, I am that same guy, just not quite out to the last mark.

Edited by Go Big Red

+1 Go Big Red,

I run the primary drive gold x-ring on my XR and WR with excellent wear out of both in a variety of harsh conditions.

I bought a DID NZ Super 520/110, also bought a new Moose front sprocket, the rear sprocket looks fine to me , but when the parts arrive I will take a better look at it. I was looking at the chain today but don't see a master link for removal, I guess I can just grind the rivets since it appears pressed in place. I am assuming that since my ratio is OEM 15/45 that the 110 should be a simple fit, at least I hope so... any thoughts on the removal of the old chain are appreciated.

Its wore out. If no master link zip in in half with an angle grinder.30 seconds,problem solved

Its wore out. If no master link zip in in half with an angle grinder.30 seconds,problem solved

like that suggestion...quick and simple..thanks