Sign in to follow this  

Washington Semi - O/T - Anyone commute from Monroe?

I still want to move to Spokane but if I land a good enough job on this side of the mountains, I may stick around.  If I do I'd probably move to Monroe as new(er) housing is much more affordable.  I perish to think what the commute to Seattle would be.  I imagine Redmond/Bellevue would be okay if I leave at 6:30 but Seattle might be tough.

If anyone commutes from Monroe to either Seattle/Eastside please chime in.

So to keep it a little on-topic.  Living in Monroe makes Wenatchee/Entiat/Mad River quite a bit closer for summertime riding.

NC

I've been commuting from Monroe to Redmond for the last 16 years, it can take anywhere from 40 min on an average day to 2 hours during snow and flood seasons. I carpool with my wife and drop her of at Microsoft then I head in to Bellevue we leave our house around 8 and I get to Bellevue by 9. There are 3-4 main routes to get to Redmond so you have options if on route is backed up. But to be honest it get a little worse each year. :(

Steve

I moved to snohomish from spokane and in spokane hardly anyone makes long commutes. I work in everett and it takes me 30-40 minutes each way and that is almost to far for me. What kind of work do you do.

Nevermind I missed the number cruncher name sorry.

Thanks for the replies.  

I am a CPA but not a tax/audit accountant.  My experience is as a controller/VP of finance.  I sold my old, small house in Kirkland to move to something bigger/newer/nicer.  Monroe/Snohomish/Lake Stevens are about it on the west side of the mountains cost wise.  Spokane I can live about anywhere but of course the job market isn't as good.  Even when I lived in Kirkland I had to commute on 405 so I figure the commute just sucks everywhere on this side of the state.  So as long as I have to deal with the drive in the morning, I figured I might as well live in a nicer home in a smaller town environment.  I really like Monroe.

Spokane is much bigger than Monroe but for me still has that small town feel I really want.  As big as it is, the job market is not at the Seattle area's level.  But my house in Kirkland has sold and I will buy a new house before my lease is up as I won't keep wasting money on rent.

223hpyhooker, what made you move from Spokane?

NC

Edited by NumberCruncher

timing timing timing!! if you leave before 530am you will be fine. ANY later, and I mean seconds, and you might as well just drive in reverse. I drive 56mi each way from seattle up north every day. I have to hit eve-rott by 540am or I am toast. My record is 50min flat to work from my driveway, with an average at 57min. going home at 430 I average 1hr 15min.

Edited by n16ht5

timing timing timing!! if you leave before 530am you will be fine. ANY later, and I mean seconds, and you might as well just drive in reverse. I drive 56mi each way from seattle up north every day. I have to hit eve-rott by 540am or I am toast. My record is 50min flat to work from my driveway, with an average at 57min. going home at 430 I average 1hr 15min.

Don't let Chris drive, he will terrify you.  :eek:

My husband and I commute from Monroe to Bellevue and Seattle.  We leave early - 6:15ish.  We take the 203 to Duvall then up and over to Redmond via Novelty Hill, cut over to Union HIll then jump on 520.  I usually drop him off in Bellevue by 7:15 then I continue on to downtown Seattle via 520 and am in my office at about 7:30.  On the way home, the 405 carpool lane is pretty quick to 522.  522 can be a pain in the ass though.  Most of the time we go home the way we came.  I leave downtown at 4 and pick Trav up in Bellevue by 4:30 and we are usually home at about 5:15.

Wish I had known this a few months ago. Had a job like this open in Wenatchee, not Seattle money though!

I go to Seattle/Kirkland monthly, and every time I try to go through Monroe, 522 screws me, and I end up late by 30-45 minutes. I don't know how you people live like that, drives me crazy every time I go back. I90 is way more predictable I think, but way worse than it was 10 years ago when I moved out. 

My experience is as a controller/VP of finance. 

NC

Not sure if anyone will know long term, but I am almost "planning" on all the 522 construction making the trip to Woodinville better.  Of course that will last for all of about two years given how fast this area is growing.  I think I'll buy a powerball ticket for tonights drawing and move to the South Pacific . . .

NC

I moved to this side cause my mother had a stroke and I wanted to be closer to her. I agree with the power ball and if I win im getting 500 acres close to the oregon dunes.

• Like 1

I moved to this side cause my mother had a stroke and I wanted to be closer to her. I agree with the power ball and if I win im getting 500 acres close to the oregon dunes.

My mom died three years ago October 18.  One of the big reasons I did not leave the Bothell/Kirkland area ten years ago was to help her out.  :thumbsup:

NC

Don't count on 522 improving even after the construction.  They've been doing improvements to it since 2000ish and each year the traffic gets worse and worse because more and more people are moving out that way.  There have been times when it has taken me 30+ minutes just to get from the 522/hwy2 interchange to the Snohomish River bridge in the morning and an hour to get from Maltby into Monroe in the evening...and this was before the construction even started.  It's been better going through the valley.  I hate the commute...but I love my Seattle paycheck and my house in the woods, so wouldn't really change it.

Edited by ktmchick

Don't count on 522 improving even after the construction.  They've been doing improvements to it since 2000ish and each year the traffic gets worse and worse because more and more people are moving out that way.  There have been times when it has taken me 30+ minutes just to get from the 522/hwy2 interchange to the Snohomish River bridge in the morning and an hour to get from Maltby into Monroe in the evening...and this was before the construction even started.  It's been better going through the valley.  I hate the commute...but I love my Seattle paycheck and my house in the woods, so wouldn't really change it.

LOL about the constant construction.  I have been in this area since the 80's and can't remember a time when 405 or some other major road hasn't seen construction.  Although I don't want a commute, I know what you mean by wanting to live where you want to live.  

Agree on paycheck size correlating to the Seattle/Eastside area.  Ironically, I have a telephone interview today for a controller job in The South Pacific.  If it is legit, maybe I'll just move to Fiji . . .

NC

Edited by NumberCruncher

any improvements that I have EVER seen WSDOT do have done nothing but create more traffic.. It's like they have a kneejerk to anything and just start throwing in traffic lights and roundabouts that go nowhere with an added four lanes that merge back into one that go to three traffic lights in a row.. HW9 is a black hole now thanks to WSDOT

What's dumb about the current 522 construction project is that they are making 4 lanes between Monroe and the Snohomish River bridge...then it necks back down to 2 lanes between the river and Maltby.  All they are doing is shifting the bottleneck.  They need to just make it 4 lanes all the way to Maltby.  I have no idea why they didn't make it 4 lanes all the way to the river when they put in that overpass at Echo Lake in 2006.  WSDOT is dumb.

Currently I live in Duvall and commute to Bellevue. I leave home at 4:50am and walk in the door at work around 5:1am.

I leave work @ 4pm and walk in my ft door at 4:40. So that drive isn't that bad.

What's dumb about the current 522 construction project is that they are making 4 lanes between Monroe and the Snohomish River bridge...then it necks back down to 2 lanes between the river and Maltby.  All they are doing is shifting the bottleneck.  They need to just make it 4 lanes all the way to Maltby.  I have no idea why they didn't make it 4 lanes all the way to the river when they put in that overpass at Echo Lake in 2006.  WSDOT is dumb.

It's not funded yet, it's the next phase but who knows when it will go. It'd be nice if they can start it about the time the current phase is done so we don't have to deal with the bottleneck for too much longer! I've been watching the funding on it for about two years.... hasn't changed.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/sr522/widen/paradise_snoriver/

The new off ramp to EB 2 shaved about 5 minutes off my commute home :thumbsup:. But westbound in the mornings is still pretty shittay (lately at least).

Well my Spokane job offer wasn't good enough, the job at Soltuna in the Solomon Islands never materialized so I am movin' to Monroe.  Let the commute begin . . . once I find a job that is.

NC