Chain master link

A lot has been said about this, I just thought I'd share what I've learned.

The clamp should be set at first with its center around the first pin ( first one as the chain moves), and then be pressed into the grooves on both pins with a pair of pliars. But therein lies the danger. It's easy to get the clamp to fit into the groove on the first pin, but not so for the second. If the clamp is forced into place with its open end not in the second pin's groove, it will deform and will not later fit snugly into said groove. This is what it should look like if correctly installed, you can see the outer part of the link behind the clamp on the second pin same as on the first pin, and the clamp is straight. But if the clamp is loose around the second pin, only one leg at a time is in the groove, and the link may fail.

There !

xecb.jpg

Edited by E.Marquez
removed wrong picture

I'm not experienced enough to answer, but i suppose, although a well installed clip is safe, that a rivet is better for that matter. But, an open chain is easy to remove for cleaning and inspection, and also link removal if you wish to install smaller sprockets.

A lot of people swear by clip on master links. For the most part they are safe and reliable. On the other hand, I had one come apart while riding. I will never use another. Make sure you keep an eye on it. 

A dab of Permatex on top of the clip can help prevent that.

Never had an issue with a pressed clip on the DRZ, higher horse bikes those clips will pop and totally unreliable, even glued or expoxied. Although Ive never had a sideplate move with missing clip.

The press fit on a rivet connector, is much higher also, its just a much more reliable link overall.

A lot has been said about this, I just thought I'd share what I've learned.

The clamp should be set at first with its center around the first pin ( first one as the chain moves), and then be pressed into the grooves on both pins with a pair of pliars. But therein lies the danger. It's easy to get the clamp to fit into the groove on the first pin, but not so for the second. If the clamp is forced into place with its open end not in the second pin's groove, it will deform and will not later fit snugly into said groove. This is what it should look like if correctly installed, you can see the outer part of the link behind the clamp on the second pin same as on the first pin, and the clamp is straight. But if the clamp is loose around the second pin, only one leg at a time is in the groove, and the link may fail.

There !

xecb.jpg

it would be a good idea to replace the incorrectly mounted picture with a correctly mounted one... less confusion for newbies not paying attention. :-)

MOD EDIT: Good idea.. DONE . Thanks

also, some master link clips are stamped in a precision way that there is no gap at all where the last half slides over the pins. it's easier to verify that the clip is fully seated on the pins that way, and a quick inspection once it's been seated and verified at gas stops. 

keep in mind as the chain wears passing through the chain guide, the clip will get thinner and thinner until it (and the master) should be replaced. at the next servicing/cleaning/whatever. 

nice ! 

I've tried to research this, but to no avail. I do think the same way as you; however you brought to my attention the clip gives me the ability to take it off easier. Thanks for you thoughts.

Yes easier to remove, the down side to that is, reusing them is quick way to a worn, deformed, damaged clip.. which is what folks here are rightfully talking about so well, to avoid.

The retainer clip is also more prone to damaging wear as it slides though the chain guide.. Ever noticed the "flat" ware [patter you find on your dirt bike chain... the thine retainer clip gets worn from that same grinding action as it passes through the guide willed with dust, dirt, mud

it would be a good idea to replace the incorrectly mounted picture with a correctly mounted one... less confusion for newbies not paying attention. :-)

You're right, however i couldn't find out how to delete a posted pic...

Edited by michaelks

That looks like a really cheap chain. hope it works out okay

May be, but not according to my research and what it says here :

CZ Chain the largest motorcycle chain producer in Europe manufactures the finest chain available in the market today used by factory teams and riders, CZ chains are used by the world best riders and teams from the MX1, MX2, MX3, Superbike and Supermoto championship. Used by MX world title racers Ben Townley, Steve Ramon, Grant Langston, Tyla Rattray, Factory KTM Teams, KTM Champ team, KTM team with team manager Everts. More than 80 years of existence and 350 million meters of chain. So long continuous production boasts a few chains of manufacturers around the world

"keep in mind as the chain wears passing through the chain guide, the clip will get thinner and thinner until it (and the master) should be replaced. at the next servicing/cleaning/whatever."

Well, this is the PO's chain as compared to the new one, you can see there's already a half link's offset after ten links, so it was pretty worn out, but the clip didn't look any thinner. All the more since the PO didn't believe in chain greasing, it was bone-dry, he said  it wouldn't gather any dirt that way ? .

kk4i.jpg

h0c8.jpg

Edited by michaelks

May be, but not according to my research and what it says here :

CZ Chain the largest motorcycle chain producer in Europe manufactures the finest chain available in the market today used by factory teams and riders, CZ chains are used by the world best riders and teams from the MX1, MX2, MX3, Superbike and Supermoto championship. Used by MX world title racers Ben Townley, Steve Ramon, Grant Langston, Tyla Rattray, Factory KTM Teams, KTM Champ team, KTM team with team manager Everts. More than 80 years of existence and 350 million meters of chain. So long continuous production boasts a few chains of manufacturers around the world

Hopefully its better than the yugo, that came from that country. Isnt cycle gear carrying that brand? But really Ive been buying chains since the

70's and I cant say its a brand that has seen alot of popularity in the U.s. Atleast Until I saw the brand at a cycle gear, which was the first time in the last year or so.

I got one for my two previous bikes after I saw a lot of good feedback at the forums here, and all I can say is I've had no problems at all. I remember one post stating that under very extreme testing the CZ was the only one that survived. It's also KTM stock I think.