Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 stuff...

Well Iam about to sell my 08 KTM 300, I just cant get the suspension to work for me I dont trust it in a way. I have tried diffrent 6 revalves 2 dif forks 2 shocks and crazy many diffrent sag and offset setting, it has to go.

As I love 2 strokes Iam thinking about a YZ250, I ride woods/enduro btw, and for what I can get for the 08 KTM will get me a 12 YZ then Ill need a bigger tank, FWW and some suspension work to be usable to me but thats ok..

So well couple of Q's for the yami smoker guru's

I see the started with alloy frame in 05, Is an 2012 better then a 05 suspension vise?

How big a FWW is best for woods?

Does these need a steering damperner?

Is stock pistons 1 or 2 rings?

Cheers

-Rasmus

Edited by RasmusDK

Well Iam about to sell my 08 KTM 300, I just cant get the suspension to work for me I dont trust it in a way. I have tried diffrent 6 revalves 2 dif forks 2 shocks and crazy many diffrent sag and offset setting, it has to go.

As I love 2 strokes Iam thinking about a YZ250, I ride woods/enduro btw, and for what I can get for the 08 KTM will get me a 12 YZ then Ill need a bigger tank, FWW and some suspension work to be usable to me but thats ok..

So well couple of Q's for the yami smoker guru's

I see the started with alloy frame in 05, Is an 2012 better then a 05 suspension vise?

How big a FWW is best for woods?

Does these need a steering damperner?

Cheers

-Rasmus

05 first year of Aluminum frame but 2006 they came out with their SSS forks, titanium springs, which are heavenly.  After that nothing major changed at all. 

• Like 2

The yz250 is very stable. Very very few need a stabilizer. Any bike 06-up is virtually the same. 06-up suspension is the best and is the same as the 12. By far the best suspension on the market. The stock valving is decent in the woods but can be made more complaint.

• Like 1

I agree with the above.  If you pick one up, don't go out a buy a stabalizer right away.  Ride it first.  It's noticabley more stable than my old katoom was. (I ran a stabalizer on my ktms)

• Like 1

I agree with the above. If you pick one up, don't go out a buy a stabalizer right away. Ride it first. It's noticabley more stable than my old katoom was. (I ran a stabalizer on my ktms)

I rode my buddies 2010 250sx the other day & noticed it felt very unstable at high speeds. It felt good in the tighter, 2nd-3rd gear trails, but once I got out onto the 5th gear open areas, man it felt sketchy. I told him of would probably make a big difference if he were to get one in stability. (He just got it, 1st day out testing) I've been on 4strokes for the past 4-5 years, so not sure if that's why it felt more unstable to me or if that's just the nature of that bike.

I actually really really liked my ktms in the woods. I thought they were great in the tighter stuff.  but as soon as things opened up enough to really get after it...i always felt a little on edge.  i'm already much more confident going faster on the yz, especially in open stuff, than i ever was on the ktms.   i kinda feel like a traitor riding blue..but it's worth it for me

I never needed a stabilizer until I started riding the dunes and trails in michigan. Sand trails at 40mph feels like the bike is trying everything to loop out. On a track or harescramble I usually turn it way down. It was more or less a bandage for my lack of being in shape.

Rasmus, I think all your questions have been answered, but I can throw in a little story:

In 2010, I rode a friend's 2009 250 EXC and it scared the crap out of me first time I opened it up in 5th over some small chatter. I firmed up his comp clickers about 12 turns and it was way better to me, but he later said he hated that and wanted it back the way it was. I thought "I'm never riding that thing again".   I knew full well what bad headshake is like, but his whole damn bike was shaking like a Pitbull Terrier trying to rip the throat out of a pig.

In the 2011 EXCs KTM introduced their new frame and then in 2012 SX bikes.  They acknowledged that the earlier frames had big stability issues. Too much lateral and torsional flex.  In terms of real versatility, I think those new/current frames were the re-birth of the brand.

Yes got my answers :) Iam putting the Ktm for sale late next week. Then the hunt goes in for a as new as possible yz250 ;)

I meant gold fork caps. Damn smart phone

Edited by NitrousR1
  • Like 1

Good fork tops. The 04 and older are single chamber forks. 05 has silver fork tops and the 06-up gold. Just look at the pics on ebay and you can selook ae

Thanks, I was at ebay but no luck...

They can be hard to find sometimes! I just found a set about a month ago, and snagged them for very, very little money! One fork tube needed replacement, but even with that, they were worth the coin I threw at them!!!

There's a bunch on ebay now. They are usually never listed under "SSS". You have to search "06 Yz fork" and 07 Yz fork" etc. there are many sets on there. Usually starting at $300 and $100 for the shock. But if you keep looking and wait it out you can do better.