Sign in to follow this  

Congratulations 6D! 2013 Dirt Rider Product of the Year

Congratulations and thank you to Bob and Scott and the whole 6D team who took a huge risk to bring true innovation to our sport and changed lives as a result.  My son is not Zach Bell, or Eli Tomac, or Wil Hahan or any of the growing number of pros who can testify to the effectiveness of your product, but you couldn't tell by the way you treated us this year.

Your recognition by Dirt Bike is all about the ATR-1, and the testimonials highlighted in their article resonate with us.  Crashing with an ATR-1 is a unique experience.  My son knows this, so does his buddy, and even I had the chance to try it out.  Fellow TTers who have had "experience" with the ATR-1 also agree:  this helmet is the real deal.  So are the people of 6D.  

I'm just a dad with a boy who got much faster this year.  He will never be a pro . . . probably . . . but that doesn't mean he won't put himself in harm's way on the track.  When he does, he will be wearing an ATR-1.  In my opinion, which is evidence based, there is no equal, and it isn't even close.  That said, there are folks on these threads who have begun looking into helmet safety more than they otherwise would have.  That would not have happened without 6D.  The ATR-1 isn't just another product, it is an industry game changer.  6D raised the bar on the discussion of safety itself, and it redefined the word for our community.  Concussions are not safe.  Thank you for pointing that out, and for doing something about it.

Product of the year?  I think, in terms of real-life benefits offered to real-life people, the ATR-1 is the product of a generation.  Good for you, good for us.  Congratulations and thank you  :thumbsup:

Jeff Kotas

Dragon67

• Like 1

Just look at all the info here, and Zach Bells crash.

Well deserved product recognition. Thanks 6D.

• Like 1

Dad, FYI, I'm planing on going pro... Some day. :ride:  And congratulations 6D, thank you! 

Liam Kotas

NightHawk67

• Like 2

Just as a question, the 6D has one major outstanding difference in the way it performs over a foam helmet.  The urethane suspension system is highly elastic and is going to recoil back to its original position immediately following the first impact.  Has any thought been put into the secondary stresses this may exert on the riders head immediately following the first impact?  I think I remember watching a Beyond 2000 TV episode (if that is even the name) way back before 2000 where a British company was attempting to develop a helmet that would help reduce torsional accelerations of the head caused by an impact by using a similar system of two layers of foam with a gel layer between that would allow the outer shell to slip relative to the inner liner but it was not rubberized and not elastic so there would less recoil.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Just as a question, the 6D has one major outstanding difference in the way it performs over a foam helmet.  The urethane suspension system is highly elastic and is going to recoil back to its original position immediately following the first impact.  Has any thought been put into the secondary stresses this may exert on the riders head immediately following the first impact?  I think I remember watching a Beyond 2000 TV episode (if that is even the name) way back before 2000 where a British company was attempting to develop a helmet that would help reduce torsional accelerations of the head caused by an impact by using a similar system of two layers of foam with a gel layer between that would allow the outer shell to slip relative to the inner liner but it was not rubberized and not elastic so there would less recoil.

We are past the theoretical on this helmet.  It isn't a question whether it might work.  It does work.  

As for how those elastomer cones respond so well in a crash, it's probably because they aren't highly elastic and they are sandwiched between two EPS layers.  In other words, if you made a ball out of the elastomer material, it probably wouldn't bounce very high.  They are more like dampers than springs.  When they fully compress, the two EPS layers come together to form one.  Since the EPS is not elastic at all, maybe that mitigates the rebound effect.  I think the elasticity of the shell itself with any helmet would be more of a concern.  That's why helmets bounce, when EPS doesn't.  Check out the force-time page on the 6D site.  Maybe that will answer your question.

Edited by Dragon67

We are past the theoretical on this helmet.  It isn't a question whether it might work.  It does work.  

I firmly  agree with this point.

I have already told my story elsewhere, and do not want to sound like a schill, but I really believe, and doctors confirmed, I should have head trauma

I think it is very important for every rider to seriously consider the price vs hospital bill.

My wife finally went, and measured where I crashed. From impact to where I ended up was 96 ft. I broke alot of stuff, but my head was perfect..Luck? maybe

6D has my helmet now, to do an inspection. I am interested in knowing the results