Sign in to follow this  

noise from right side of engine?

When bike is on side stand no noise is heard. When stood up straight rotational noise is present.  6200mi on bike. oil change performed every 2k or beginning or season.  Have been practicing wheelies. Bike is an 05 drz-400sm. Thanks in advance for your help.

Have seen other posts of noise no diagnosis yet?

i wonder if it's the timing chain cog sliding back and forth on it's shaft ... about to slip off and grenade the engine ? (loose nut, needs loctited ?) 

Thats a normal noise?! Mine makes this noise even when i first started when i rebuild the whole motor. Its normal.

i wonder if it's the timing chain cog sliding back and forth on it's shaft ... about to slip off and grenade the engine ? (loose nut, needs loctited ?) 

When I removed the camshaft to take away the decompressor, it seemed that the cog was a fixed part of the shaft, no nut there to be loctited - correct me if I'm wrong.

acrw.jpg

When I removed the camshaft to take away the decompressor, it seemed that the cog was a fixed part of the shaft, no nut there to be loctited - correct me if I'm wrong.

acrw.jpg

Referring to the one on the bottom not the cam gears

Also that phone is ancient

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I see. I hope that doesn't mean another loctite fix ahead ?? Or will the counterbalancer and primary gear fixes take care of it ?

Edited by michaelks

Thats a normal noise?! Mine makes this noise even when i first started when i rebuild the whole motor. Its normal.

If it is normal then what has worn to make that noise since its only been there for 3k miles? Normal for suzuki none of my hondas make those noises.

Referring to the one on the bottom not the cam gears Also that phone is ancient

Meet my cell :lol: .

1lef.jpg

I'm taking a break from my voyage to the DRZ innards, but next thing I'm pulling off the clutch-side cover to check on those two nuts, I can't trust the bike as long as I hear weird noises (mine's a knocking when under stress, people I've seen tell me it's normal),  this video really got me scared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENOaYCn-Gk

Meet my cell :lol: .

Posted Image

I'm taking a break from my voyage to the DRZ innards, but next thing I'm pulling off the clutch-side cover to check on those two nuts, I can't trust the bike as long as I hear weird noises (mine's a knocking when under stress, people I've seen tell me it's normal), this video really got me scared:

i assume its the crank big end bearing. I put up vidoes of mine on youtube

acrw.jpg

sorry i wasn't clear enough. your other response was what i was referring to. 

good luck

No "loctite-fix" on the stock camshaft.  The gear is pressed onto the stock camshaft, NO nut.

Meet my cell  :lol: .

I'm taking a break from my voyage to the DRZ innards, but next thing I'm pulling off the clutch-side cover to check on those two nuts, I can't trust the bike as long as I hear weird noises (mine's a knocking when under stress, people I've seen tell me it's normal),  this video really got me scared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENOaYCn-Gk

That's the counter-balancer nut (loose in the video).  The large nut to the left of that one, is the primary nut (crank snout).

Edited by bmwpowere36m3