Sign in to follow this  

What bikes best for me?

I'm 15, 5 foot 4, and 115 lbs. I've been riding my whole life and currently rode a built cr250. I love the 2 stroke power band but could do a 4 stroke. I want something that I can throw around easier than my 250 but still has good power.

Motocross and used preferably. I've had offers upwards of 2600 on my cr and have some cash still

Motocross and used preferably. I've had offers upwards of 2600 on my cr and have some cash still

If you really like the Hondas, you can't really go wrong with an 09+ crf250r. Not as powerful as the 250 2t but at your size a 450 might be a little big. You could get a nice 250f in the 3 - 4 grand price range and the 09 + is fuel injected for Honda.

Idk about the other brands as I only rode Hondas but I think a 250f would suite you well. I ride a CR250 and love it :D

I had an 04 crf250r and it was heavier than my cr. I was thinking like a kx100 or crf150rb yano maybe a 125 just wanted to see what you guys were thinking

You might not be as happy going from a big bike back to a mini. The 125 will be lighter and cheaper than a 250f, if you like 2 strokes a 125 would be perfect

If I'm going to a 125 why not just keep my bike I have now? It's not the power of the bike that's too much it's the height and weight

You might be faster on a 125. At your size i would always recommend a 125. Are you able to use all the power from the 250? A 125 might be more controllable at your size... Just my opinion....

If you really like the Hondas, you can't really go wrong with an 09+ crf250r. Not as powerful as the 250 2t but at your size a 450 might be a little big. You could get a nice 250f in the 3 - 4 grand price range and the 09 + is fuel injected for Honda.

Idk about the other brands as I only rode Hondas but I think a 250f would suite you well. I ride a CR250 and love it :D

Or, he could keep his male genitalia.

You actually CAN go lots and lots and lots of wrongs with a 09+ CRF250R. Wrong number one: Four stroke. wrong number two: Absolutely attrocious handling. Heres how the 09-13 CRF250Rs went through a corner: Oversteer, understeer, headshake as a result of extreme oversteer on exit. Wrong number three: Sack of shit motor. NO bottom, no top. Mid range and midrange only and a thoroughly underwhelming one at that.

Ever watched a mini race? Theres a reason that all the winners ride 85s and not those insults to motocross honda is pumping out as 150Rs. Its the same reason that Honda has to pay the MEC comentators to wax on about how the 85s aren't powerful enough to clear hte big tripples, even though they were nailing it. Its also the same reason they have a fully sponsored and provided for event closed to their 150Rs. Grossly unreliable, grossly expensive to maintain and not all that four-strokey really. Like the 85s they scream their nuts off or go nowhere. Plus the extra weight, difficulty of starting and ear splitting exhaust note makes for a very very very poor mini bike.

If you want to start racing MX, buy a 125 and schoolboy it. Theres a million reasons why. First and foremost, they are bullshit fun to ride. You better start doing some cheek lifts cos your face will cramp up from all the smiling if you're not careful. They teach you extremely valuable motocross skills, skills that will stay with you as you go to the bigger bikes, be it two stroke or four stroke. Nice and cheap to buy, fix up and maintain, easy to start, the best class there is for a youngster like you. Oh and did I mention fun? If you can't handle hte height and weight of your 250, the 125 is the way to go. Specially considering the 250F is a good 5 kilos heavier on the stand, and feels about 25 kilos heavier when leaning at 55 degrees @ 12,000 RPM. The spinning cams and flailing valves make a much bigger impact in gyroscopic forces than the dry weight of the bike does, believe me.

I was thinking a kx100, cheap and a good size, worst case I outgrow it an sell it for a 125

• Like 1

You actually CAN go lots and lots and lots of wrongs with a 09+ CRF250R. Wrong number one: Four stroke. wrong number two: Absolutely attrocious handling. Heres how the 09-13 CRF250Rs went through a corner: Oversteer, understeer, headshake as a result of extreme oversteer on exit. Wrong number three: Sack of shit motor. NO bottom, no top. Mid range and midrange only and a thoroughly underwhelming one at that.

Ever watched a mini race? Theres a reason that all the winners ride 85s and not those insults to motocross honda is pumping out as 150Rs. Its the same reason that Honda has to pay the MEC comentators to wax on about how the 85s aren't powerful enough to clear hte big tripples, even though they were nailing it. Its also the same reason they have a fully sponsored and provided for event closed to their 150Rs. Grossly unreliable, grossly expensive to maintain and not all that four-strokey really. Like the 85s they scream their nuts off or go nowhere. Plus the extra weight, difficulty of starting and ear splitting exhaust note makes for a very very very poor mini bike.

If you want to start racing MX, buy a 125 and schoolboy it. Theres a million reasons why. First and foremost, they are bullshit fun to ride. You better start doing some cheek lifts cos your face will cramp up from all the smiling if you're not careful. They teach you extremely valuable motocross skills, skills that will stay with you as you go to the bigger bikes, be it two stroke or four stroke. Nice and cheap to buy, fix up and maintain, easy to start, the best class there is for a youngster like you. Oh and did I mention fun? If you can't handle hte height and weight of your 250, the 125 is the way to go. Specially considering the 250F is a good 5 kilos heavier on the stand, and feels about 25 kilos heavier when leaning at 55 degrees @ 12,000 RPM. The spinning cams and flailing valves make a much bigger impact in gyroscopic forces than the dry weight of the bike does, believe me.

andactually the 2013 crf250r was voted best handling bike of the year...

I know several people with 09+ crf250r's and 150r's and they love them and I know several people that race A and B class on them so I don't see how you could say they are that bad.

I'm gonna try to get an 06+ yz125z I hear they're the best with the new forks and aluminum frme

andactually the 2013 crf250r was voted best handling bike of the year...

LOL! by who? A magazine? What a reliable source you've got there. If you'd ridden one back to back with an RMZ or SXF, you would understand just how amusing that statement is.

I know several people with 09+ crf250r's and 150r's and they love them and I know several people that race A and B class on them so I don't see how you could say they are that bad.

Easy, I didn't fork out over 8 grand for a new bike. Its very hard to view your own equipment subjectively when you've spent so much money on it. You want to believe it is gods gift to riders. But the reality of hte Honda is that its slow, peaky by four stroke standards and terrible handling. The head angle is just too steep for a ibke that heavy and no amount of steering dampers are going to change that.

LOL! by who? A magazine? What a reliable source you've got there. If you'd ridden one back to back with an RMZ or SXF, you would understand just how amusing that statement is.

Easy, I didn't fork out over 8 grand for a new bike. Its very hard to view your own equipment subjectively when you've spent so much money on it. You want to believe it is gods gift to riders. But the reality of hte Honda is that its slow, peaky by four stroke standards and terrible handling. The head angle is just too steep for a ibke that heavy and no amount of steering dampers are going to change that.

Well ya know some riders might like them, everyone's different. I know guys that won't look at anything but a KTM but I've never had one I ride a CR250 so until have a good amount of time on a bike I'm not going to downgrade it