Sign in to follow this  

Street Legalization

Hello All,

I recently got my motorcycle permit (i'm 16) and want to get the old 01 300EXC on the road. I live in a small town in CT, so I would be able to ride it around town and even to school (6 miles away). I believe the title says motorcycle opposed to ATV so I believe it can be done. So here are my concerns

Lights (Has head/tail but useless)

Directional (Required?)

Tires (Do they have to be DOT approved)

I am sure there are some that I am forgetting, but I could really use some help with this from someone who has gone through the same process. Tips, tricks, experiences? Anything would help!

Thanks so much!

Greetings fellow Connecticutian!  Where in CT?

If you have the title - you really don't *need* anything else. Well aside from insurance and a bill of sale. 

I got my 200 EXC plated just by bringing in the title and the bill of sale to the DMV. Do not need to bring the bike for inspection. Unless you bought it out of state, then they will need to do a VIN verification. 

As for blinkers and stuff, blinkers are not legally needed if the bike wasn't equipped with them from the factory. 

If you have a head light and tail/brake light, you're pretty much good to go. 

I haven't gotten hassled by any law enforcement for my KTM - but I just use the roads to get to the forest for the most part ;D 

Edited by CousinLarry

Greetings fellow Connecticutian! Where in CT?

If you have the title - you really don't *need* anything else. Well aside from insurance and a bill of sale.

I got my 200 EXC plated just by bringing in the title and the bill of sale to the DMV. Do not need to bring the bike for inspection. Unless you bought it out of state, then they will need to do a VIN verification.

As for blinkers and stuff, blinkers are not legally needed if the bike wasn't equipped with them from the factory.

I haven't gotten hassled by any law enforcement for my KTM - but I just use the roads to get to the forest for the most part ;D

Thanks for the reply! I am from Kent. I am gonna head to the dmv and get her registered today! Thanks again!

Ahh, Kent - you're up there in the boonies! I am down near Waterbury.  

Good luck at the DMV - let me know how it goes.  It's fun riding a 2 stroke on the road - you get funny looks ;)

• Like 1

They'll plate bikes even if they're labelled as "off road"? You guys are lucky!

Well - they will for the Euro bikes since the title doesn't say "offroad only" like the Japanese bike titles do.

So if you have a KTM, Husaberg, Husky - you can street plate any of the bikes with just the title.

If you want to street plate an MX bike in CT  - it's pretty easy too. Just get (or borrow ;)) a Dakar dual sport kit and bolt it on. Put on a kick stand, chain guard, and a few other odds and ends and bring it to DMV for an inspection.  Oh you need a speedometer too - a Vapor unit works fine. My buddy used an android phone with a GPS speedometer app displayed. hahahaa... And for the exhaust we plugged it up with some brillo pad and it sounded like a moped. The tires were DOT Kenda Trakmaster II.

Took five minutes to pass his YZ250F through inspections and get a street plate. I have another friend with a KX450 and a street plate :D

• Like 2

Well - they will for the Euro bikes since the title doesn't say "offroad only" like the Japanese bike titles do.

So if you have a KTM, Husaberg, Husky - you can street plate any of the bikes with just the title.

If you want to street plate an MX bike in CT  - it's pretty easy too. Just get (or borrow ;)) a Dakar dual sport kit and bolt it on. Put on a kick stand, chain guard, and a few other odds and ends and bring it to DMV for an inspection.  Oh you need a speedometer too - a Vapor unit works fine. My buddy used an android phone with a GPS speedometer app displayed. hahahaa... And for the exhaust we plugged it up with some brillo pad and it sounded like a moped. The tires were DOT Kenda Trakmaster II.

Took five minutes to pass his YZ250F through inspections and get a street plate. I have another friend with a KX450 and a street plate :D

Don't tempt me Larry! I have 2010 KX450F that me on the street soon to ;)

Anyway thanks again for the great info! I can't wait to rip around town on the smoker. I didn't get a chance to head to the DMV yesterday, I will try and get there is weekend. Thanks!

I wonder if NY does that, I still have fam there. I don't ever recall seeing anything played though.

Can the dealership get the ktm 300xcw plated for you? I heard from Motorsports Nation in plainfield CT that if buy brand new (cash) they'll get it plated  for me,, sounds pretty damn good to me!

• Like 1

Can the dealership get the ktm 300xcw plated for you? I heard from Motorsports Nation in plainfield CT that if buy brand new (cash) they'll get it plated  for me,, sounds pretty damn good to me!

I'd do that!

• Like 1

I just might,, got this winter to shop lol. I rode with 2 guys today,one had a 05 ktm 200exc and the other had 2013 ktm 200 xcw,,both were plated in R.I. they said Ktm makes it real easy,,the Cert of Origin does not say off road only,, gotta love these orange bikes!

• Like 1

I wonder if it could be done in NY?  I don't ever recall seeing anything that looked like a dirtbike plated there.

It's funny because you see all of these rat rods out here that look so sketchy and they're CA legal.

I wonder if NY does that, I still have fam there. I don't ever recall seeing anything played though.

I have a KDX220 played in NY. It can be done as long as you MCO has milage written on the back from the dealer. .... ;)

What's a MCO?

Did you have to put lights and signals on it?  I remember having to get cars inspected every year but I think upstate didn't have to do emissions tests.

What's a MCO?

Did you have to put lights and signals on it? I remember having to get cars inspected every year but I think upstate didn't have to do emissions tests.

manufacturer certificate of origin and NO Inspection
  • Like 1

You can get just about anything street legal here in AZ. Both my 09 450xcw and 13 300XC have street plates. The 300 doesn't even have a headlight or a tail light. I don't ride around town on it though, just connect trails when needed.

• Like 1

You can get just about anything street legal here in AZ. Both my 09 450xcw and 13 300XC have street plates. The 300 doesn't even have a headlight or a tail light. I don't ride around town on it though, just connect trails when needed.

My 300EXC has a head and tail light. Do you think the cops would give me a hard time when just riding around town and on some dirt roads? I don't play on doing it constantly to annoy people or whatever just to get some riding in.

I'm not going to tell you to ride your bike on the street illegally. Make sure the bike is actually legal and insured before taking to the roads. AZ is pretty lax but even though I went and got the plate that doesn't make my 300 street legal. Here it still needs a headlight, taillight, mirror, and horn to be truly street legal. My 450 doesn't have a mirror or horn so technically I could be cited for it. I'll probably pick up a cheap mirror that can be taken off easily. The 300 I have no intentions of making it actually street worthy.

Greetings fellow Connecticutian! Where in CT?

Hey Larry,

I was going to get my bike registered the other day, but I realized it has a VT title. Am I have to going to get a vin check now? When I do are they going to do an inspection and not register it because it doesn't have blinkers and a brake light?

I think Rocky Mountain atv has the kits cause your going to need brake lights and horn