YZ250 a good offroad machine?

I recently got married & had to sell my 2010 crf250r before the wedding to help fund it. Well, finally the honeymoon is over & it's time to get my moto card back. I've been saving my coin & am starting to look for a bike. Just a little on my background, I'm 33 & grew up on 2strokes. I had a few rm125s & a 96 cr250 which I loved. I stopped riding for 6-7 years & when I came back onto the scene 4strokes were the thing. So out of the past 4-5 years I had a rmz450, kxf250, crf250x & my recent crf250r. I ride woods 95% of the time. I love the woods & bikes set up for the woods. I love 4strokes to, I feel I'm a lot faster & smoother because I feel confident on them. I recently rode my buddies 2010 250sx. We just kinda went out & messed around on a little outdoor single track loop we had carved out. It's been so long since I've ridden a 2stroke, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I felt pretty smooth & with some saddle time I feel I could get comfy. I like to race a few harescrambles & a GP here & there. I've always noticed a lot of the guys that are on smokers run YZs. So I got to thinking I could pick one up at a decent price & put some coin into it to set it up nice for my style. My question is, what are the good years (04-06?) that are good for an offroad base set up? Which had the SSS & why is it so good? What fly wheel weights are guys using & how does it make the bike feel? What all can be done to smooth them out & be tractable for off-road? What's up with adding the triple clamps on certain years & I guess any other knowledge I can learn about this bike. I've seem a lot of 04-06 for good prices & that seems to be the good years from what I've heard. Switching to 2stroke is a big choice for me, so I just wanna make sure there's a lot of dialing options that will suit my style. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Perfect for offroad, I don't use a flywheel at all. Well a stock flywhell I still use :)

Edited by arnego2

Awesome woods machines, 06+ are good years. The bike hasn't really changed since 06. I ride in the east coast woods and use a 9oz fww, flexx bars and rubber mounts help with vibration. I have a brp triple for the rubber mounts. Sprockets are 12/52 (I think. I'm at college so I don't remember). You can confirm the year by looking at the 10th character on the serial on the frame under the bars, people like to fake years. 05 had bad suspension apparently. A pipe will help change your powerband a little to wear you want it. Have a fatty on mine. Make sure to jet the carb perfectly and she'll run awesome. A key to note though, with my gearing setup, on large open spaces I find myself in 5th too quickly. From the years you gave though, I highly suggest you stick with the 06 over the 04 or 05. Drink the blue cool aid!!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382482227.023041.jpg

Awesome woods machines, 06+ are good years. The bike hasn't really changed since 06. I ride in the east coast woods and use a 9oz fww, flexx bars and rubber mounts help with vibration. I have a brp triple for the rubber mounts. Sprockets are 12/52 (I think. I'm at college so I don't remember). You can confirm the year by looking at the 10th character on the serial on the frame under the bars, people like to fake years. 05 had bad suspension apparently. A pipe will help change your powerband a little to wear you want it. Have a fatty on mine. Make sure to jet the carb perfectly and she'll run awesome. A key to note though, with my gearing setup, on large open spaces I find myself in 5th too quickly. From the years you gave though, I highly suggest you stick with the 06 over the 04 or 05. Drink the blue cool aid!!{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382482227.023041.jpg[/quote. Hey man, thanks for all the info. So what's the deal with the flywheel weight? What comes stock & what's a good weight for woods riding? Man, when I was younger, I never did the kinda mods I do now a days, so this is all new to me. A 12/52 huh? That seems really low, but I guess that gives you good power down low so you can run 2-3rd a lot?

How's head shake & cornering on these bikes? Stable at high speeds?

They're alright...... :smirk:

Monk didn't you just buy an 06 250?
Awesome woods machines, 06+ are good years. The bike hasn't really changed since 06. I ride in the east coast woods and use a 9oz fww, flexx bars and rubber mounts help with vibration. I have a brp triple for the rubber mounts. Sprockets are 12/52 (I think. I'm at college so I don't remember). You can confirm the year by looking at the 10th character on the serial on the frame under the bars, people like to fake years. 05 had bad suspension apparently. A pipe will help change your powerband a little to wear you want it. Have a fatty on mine. Make sure to jet the carb perfectly and she'll run awesome. A key to note though, with my gearing setup, on large open spaces I find myself in 5th too quickly. From the years you gave though, I highly suggest you stick with the 06 over the 04 or 05. Drink the blue cool aid!!{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382482227.023041.jpg[/quote. Hey man, thanks for all the info. So what's the deal with the flywheel weight? What comes stock & what's a good weight for woods riding? Man, when I was younger, I never did the kinda mods I do now a days, so this is all new to me. A 12/52 huh? That seems really low, but I guess that gives you good power down low so you can run 2-3rd a lot?

How's head shake & cornering on these bikes? Stable at high speeds?

I think with the right suspension you can work at that. I've never had issues with mine. However I personally can't say because I've only ridden yz 125s and 250s ever so I can't compare to others.

Are still on the katoom? So you added a yz, what do you really think about it?

Monk didn't you just buy an 06 250?

Lol, actually it's a 07.... And yes their awesome bikes for off-road.... Better then KTMs in some respects and in many cases half the cost.....I am struggling with suspension setup but it's more personal then anything.....

07, 06, 13. All the same bike XD

Are still on the katoom? So you added a yz, what do you really think about it?

Still have the big 500exc, I'll die with that bike that's how much I love it. But it's just too much motorcycle for racing in tight conditions. Something the YZ is very good at. How do I like the YZ? Love it.... always been a fan of Rekluse clutches so that's been added, new pipe, silencer, Flexx Bars etc etc. Basically it's one big build as of now.

Will be racing my 500exc on the 9th in Washington at the Winter GP series, something the KTM seems to do very well at....

Still have the big 500exc, I'll die with that bike that's how much I love it. But it's just too much motorcycle for racing in tight conditions. Something the YZ is very good at. How do I like the YZ? Love it.... always been a fan of Rekluse clutches so that's been added, new pipe, silencer, Flexx Bars etc etc. Basically it's one big build as of now.

Will be racing my 500exc on the 9th in Washington at the Winter GP series, something the KTM seems to do very well at....

Nice, good to hear. I've read a lot of guys putting flex bars on these. Do they have a lot of vibration coming through the bars or is that all 2strokes? I'm defiantly adding a rekluse to the next bike, especially if I get a 2 banger. That's gotta make a lot of difference in the tighter stuff..

Nice, good to hear. I've read a lot of guys putting flex bars on these. Do they have a lot of vibration coming through the bars or is that all 2strokes? I'm defiantly adding a rekluse to the next bike, especially if I get a 2 banger. That's gotta make a lot of difference in the tighter stuff..

No, very little vibration if any.....

No, very little vibration if any.....

Cool. Are you running a FWW, & if so, what oz? I've read 12-13 for a good offroad set. How much difference does that make in the power delivery/traction? Any similarities to my crf?

Cool. Are you running a FWW, & if so, what oz? I've read 12-13 for a good offroad set. How much difference does that make in the power delivery/traction? Any similarities to my crf?

No flywheel weight.....I'm aggressive and fast enough that I don't think I'm at that point yet....

Edited by originalmonk

No flywheel weight.....I'm aggressive and fast enough that I don't think I'm at that point yet....

Interesting you put it like that. Ive known a few guys to run them. I thought it was more of just another offroad mod so the bike is suited better for the conditions, ala better traction

I'm coming off KTMs myself.  This YZ has been great so far.  Very easy to get comfortable on.   I did get my boingers revalved even though the suspension was already pretty darn good.   I would recommend one to anyone looking for an offroad 2 stroke.

Interesting you put it like that. Ive known a few guys to run them. I thought it was more of just another offroad mod so the bike is suited better for the conditions, ala better traction

That is why most people install them, for traction purposes. And also to hinder stalling issues, but mostly for traction.

If you ride in nothing but pure loam, then there probably not needed. But for most of us off-roaders, we have to deal with slippery logs, off camber slick hillsides, etc.. and this is where the FWW real comes into play!

That is why most people install them, for traction purposes. And also to hinder stalling issues, but mostly for traction.

If you ride in nothing but pure loam, then there probably not needed. But for most of us off-roaders, we have to deal with slippery logs, off camber slick hillsides, etc.. and this is where the FWW real comes into play!

Thanks man, that's what I thought they were for. What weight do you run?