Desmog kit ?

Does anyone know for sure what the vacuum plug that comes with the Blaise Racing "desmog kit" is for??  I'm guessing for the "T" that is in fuel tank vent hose. If anyone knows for sure I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Scott

It's to plus the air box hole after you remove the hose to the valve cover vent. You should have also received a piece of hose that will go from the valve cover to open vent under the bike. At least that's how my 500 kit is.

It's to plus the air box hole after you remove the hose to the valve cover vent. You should have also received a piece of hose that will go from the valve cover to open vent under the bike. At least that's how my 500 kit is.

Thanks for the info.  I searched everywhere and couldn't find the answer.  Doesn't the fuel tank breather hose have a "T" in it on the left side of the bike? What about the hose that T's into the fuel tank vent hose, does that come into play when doing the desmog?

Is it a possibility that the setup has changed on the 2014's?

CADman_KS

I just checked their website, and it says that the kit comes with 6 pages of detailed instructions.  Did you kit not come with said instructions?  It also appears, from their website, that the same kit fits 2012-14.  One would have to assume that they have checked that part out...

CADman_KS

I didn't buy the kit.  I bought the 2 bolts from the dealer and wasn't going to worry about moving the breather hose from the airbox.

Scott

I just checked their website, and it says that the kit comes with 6 pages of detailed instructions.  Did you kit not come with said instructions?  It also appears, from their website, that the same kit fits 2012-14.  One would have to assume that they have checked that part out...

CADman_KS

Did you / are you going to desmog your bike?

I didn't buy the kit. I bought the 2 bolts from the dealer and wasn't going to worry about moving the breather hose from the airbox.

Scott

Oh, that would explain that.

CADman

Did you / are you going to desmog your bike?

I think so. Sounds like a good winter project....

CADman

I think so. Sounds like a good winter project....

CADman

I plan on doing mine this weekend.  Also going to try adjusting the TPS voltage.  Just hoping to richen it up a little. 

Desmog complete! Took about an hour. No more pop on decel.  Bumped the TPS voltage up to .640 and the bike runs like a champ.  Did all this for about $15.  Thanks to all the great info and tips here on Thumpertalk.  You guys are the best.

Scott

Desmog complete! Took about an hour. No more pop on decel.  Bumped the TPS voltage up to .640 and the bike runs like a champ.  Did all this for about $15.  Thanks to all the great info and tips here on Thumpertalk.  You guys are the best.

Scott,

So, do you have any details / pics on what you did?  Do you have the part numbers that you used from KTM?

CADman_KS

Scott,

So, do you have any details / pics on what you did?  Do you have the part numbers that you used from KTM?

CADman_KS

Thanks dct3416.  They also helped me.  Here are the part numbers though. And a brief description.

CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-6X10X1

0025060086HH COLLAR SCREW M6X8 | TX30

58038022000CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-12X18X1,5

PLUG SCREW SAS M12X1,5

1.  Remove seat and gas tank

2.  Remove rubber strap holding EVAP canister and remove can.

3.  Loosen jam nut (19mm) on SAS valve, unscrew valve from cyl. head

4.  Remove hose nipple from cyl head. (It is located about 6 inches to the left of the hole where the SAS valve was.)

5.  The hardware listed above goes in these two now vacant holes. Use locktite.

6.  Unplug the EVAP solonoid.  It is mounted to the bottom of the throttle body.  I removed the solonoid on mine and sealed up the connector.

7.  Use a vacuum cap to block of the now empty port on the "T" fitting of the fuel tank breather hose.

8.  TPS is on the left side of bike under a black rubber cover.  There is a 3 wire connector to it. (Reference, ground & signal) Back probe the signal wire and get out your volt meter.

9.  Loosen lock screw for TPS

10.  With ign on Mine was at .598v, I moved it ever so slightly counter-clockwise till I got a reading of .640v.  It is very sensitive and doesn't require much movement.

11. Tighten lock screw.

12.  Reinstall Tank and seat.

13.  Start bike!

I read that the bike won't idle after removing smog crap.  Mine did.  I think it did because I adjusted the TPS before starting it.

I hope this helps.  If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

Scott

^^^  Scott,

That is GREAT information!!, and a great write up!!!

Thanks for posting this!!!

CADman_KS

No problem.  I feel better knowing my bike will run a little richer now.  Much to lean from the factory IMO.

Scott

No problem.  I feel better knowing my bike will run a little richer now.  Much to lean from the factory IMO.

Scott

My bike smells rich when it's idling, but it still has to be a little bit lean, because it gets pretty hot, pretty quickly.  My fan runs constantly when I'm in anything tight...

CADman_KS

Thank you for posting the part numbers, this was a big help!  I just ordered the parts myself. 

Also getting to the wires and supplying the 5V to check the TPS voltage seemed to be a bit of a PITA, so I made a harness to turn this into a 10-second procedure.  All you do is unplug the TPS, then plug one end of this harness into the bike TPS plug, and plug the other end of this harness into the TPS itself.  It's just a pass-through but with taps where you can attach your voltage meter, and since it uses the same exact plugs that KTM uses it's a perfect plug-in.  So now you just attach this harness and turn the bike on, and presto you can check the voltage.  You can even start and run the bike with this installed.  Nothing has to be removed from the bike.  PM me if anyone is interested in one of these, I'm thinking about making a bunch to sell if there's any interest. 

Picture of the harness:

harness.jpg

The same exact connectors that KTM uses:

connectors.jpg

A picture of the harness installed on my 2014 500EXC showing the TPS voltage as delivered from the factory:

installed.jpg

These are now available here: 

http://www.tpstool.com/

Edited by sirthumpalot

Thanks dct3416.  They also helped me.  Here are the part numbers though. And a brief description.

CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-6X10X1

0025060086HH COLLAR SCREW M6X8 | TX30

58038022000CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-12X18X1,5

PLUG SCREW SAS M12X1,5

1.  Remove seat and gas tank

2.  Remove rubber strap holding EVAP canister and remove can.

3.  Loosen jam nut (19mm) on SAS valve, unscrew valve from cyl. head

4.  Remove hose nipple from cyl head. (It is located about 6 inches to the left of the hole where the SAS valve was.)

5.  The hardware listed above goes in these two now vacant holes. Use locktite.

6.  Unplug the EVAP solonoid.  It is mounted to the bottom of the throttle body.  I removed the solonoid on mine and sealed up the connector.

7.  Use a vacuum cap to block of the now empty port on the "T" fitting of the fuel tank breather hose.

8.  TPS is on the left side of bike under a black rubber cover.  There is a 3 wire connector to it. (Reference, ground & signal) Back probe the signal wire and get out your volt meter.

9.  Loosen lock screw for TPS

10.  With ign on Mine was at .598v, I moved it ever so slightly counter-clockwise till I got a reading of .640v.  It is very sensitive and doesn't require much movement.

11. Tighten lock screw.

12.  Reinstall Tank and seat.

13.  Start bike!

I read that the bike won't idle after removing smog crap.  Mine did.  I think it did because I adjusted the TPS before starting it.

I hope this helps.  If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

Scott

quick question?? I know you have all the part #s listed do I need to just order 1 of each to get everything I need?

Thanks