Want a newer 250 2t

Hi I have a 98 RM250 and want to up grade to somthing like 2000 and up. Want to up grade because I mostly want better suspension, and that kind of stuff. My price range is $1,500-2,000. Just would like to hear opions on whats good and what years to maybe stay away from. Thanks :cheers:

Yea I agree with the comment above. 2 years on a bike that old isn't going to be much of an upgrade if any. If you have a $2k price range, you'll be able to get a lot newer bike for that. At least in the SE you can. From what I hear, the 06 yz250 & the SSS suspension is the ish! You can always look for a bike that already has suspension work done to it. There are plenty of them out there & for a decent price.

Has your current suspension been reworked for your weight & riding style? If so, has it been serviced when needed? I ride a '98 KX 250...properly set for me, and woods racing. I wouldn't upgrade to a newer bike unless I knew the benefits would be huge, without spending a ton of money. That said, I'll continue passing kids on newish 450s with poor jetting and inadequate suspension tuning.

• Like 1

Has your current suspension been reworked for your weight & riding style? If so, has it been serviced when needed? I ride a '98 KX 250...properly set for me, and woods racing. I wouldn't upgrade to a newer bike unless I knew the benefits would be huge, without spending a ton of money. That said, I'll continue passing kids on newish 450s with poor jetting and inadequate suspension tuning.

The suspension is fit for me, I dont know why but its still rough. The rms for my year were know for cruddy clutches and trannys. Its a little rough there to, i just want something newer. Im in if for so little ill be making money by selling it. Thanks for the reply!

The suspension is fit for me, I dont know why but its still rough. The rms for my year were know for cruddy clutches and trannys. Its a little rough there to, i just want something newer. Im in if for so little ill be making money by selling it. Thanks for the reply!

Copy that. I got zero issue with someone JUST wanting a newer machine. Depending on year/make/model, a year or two can make a big difference in part cost, and availability. Sometimes a newer bike is just a lot more fun to look at. I like mine to look clapped out. Note the Gorilla tape on the seat...the other side's worse. She runs great, the suspension performs great...She only cost me $850. I already had a tuned suspension for it at time of purchase(swapped out what it had). Since pic, I took off the blingy gold wheelset for some plain-Jane stockers.

P1200556_zpsc380b4e5.jpg

If you're not willing to go brand new, look for a YZ. As a total and utter opposite to todays porky fooopers, Yamaha once held the two stroke market by the throat. And for good reason. Clutch, handling, suspension, motor, tranny, quality, it was anywhere between good and godlike in all imagineable categories. I had an 01 YZ250 that I wish I had never sold. Just a fantastic bike, end of story.

• Like 1

got a yz 250 from 2001 i rebuilt this summe. i like the motor because its sooo smooth and not the newer ktms of friends of mine which are so damn agressive. it also handles very well and is a very solid bike. it's not angry if you drop it several times as long as you maintain her. i would not want to change at least the engine against a brand new ktm 2 stroke

• Like 2

There's no magical upgrade in suspension even from late 90's to now really. If you want good suspension, you have to have it set up for you. You buy a bike that's a few years newer and you won't notice a difference. Hell, late 80's bikes suspension set up for you is better then a new one out of the box in a lot of cases, it's all about who does it. Set it up to your weight, riding style and terrain and you'll be happy. Plus you won't have to sell what you already have to do so. 

• Like 1

got a yz 250 from 2001 i rebuilt this summe. i like the motor because its sooo smooth and not the newer ktms of friends of mine which are so damn agressive. it also handles very well and is a very solid bike. it's not angry if you drop it several times as long as you maintain her. i would not want to change at least the engine against a brand new ktm 2 stroke

The KTM motor can be made a little more tractory. The right PV adjustments and correct jetting usually make it into a fairly smooth weapon. But you're right in that the YZ engine is about as four strokey as a two stroke comes out of the box.

Copy that. I got zero issue with someone JUST wanting a newer machine. Depending on year/make/model, a year or two can make a big difference in part cost, and availability. Sometimes a newer bike is just a lot more fun to look at. I like mine to look clapped out. Note the Gorilla tape on the seat...the other side's worse. She runs great, the suspension performs great...She only cost me $850. I already had a tuned suspension for it at time of purchase(swapped out what it had). Since pic, I took off the blingy gold wheelset for some plain-Jane stockers.

P1200556_zpsc380b4e5.jpg

That's a nice KX. What did you do with the bling-ass wheels? That motor is rumored to have raped the competition that year. 

I like older smokers too though now I'm all "new" again with a 04 GasGas and a 06 KX. 

• Like 2

That's a nice KX. What did you do with the bling-ass wheels? That motor is rumored to have raped the competition that year. 

I like older smokers too though now I'm all "new" again with a 04 GasGas and a 06 KX. 

The gold wheels just got new rubber. I do have a nicer set of plastics, w/seat. My 03 GG is about half a days worth of reassembly from being back in action. The only thing I'm missing...new radiator shrouds. The Noleen pipe was a real wake-up call over the FMF pipe, on the KX

As far as peak output goes, I've heard the KX to quite good that year. As far as the power feeling on the track, it was a turbo charged Raging bull. Like a 45 horsepower 125, insanity. An absolute blast on teh right kind of track.

As far as peak output goes, I've heard the KX to quite good that year. As far as the power feeling on the track, it was a turbo charged Raging bull. Like a 45 horsepower 125, insanity. An absolute blast on teh right kind of track.

My '98 is a notable improvement in power delivery, over my '95(the parts bastard). I never added a heavier FWW, so the on/off sensation of power took some getting used to, in the woods. When I ride it off a cliff, wrap it around a tree, or they just quit making parts fo it...I'll stop riding it.

Any YZ 250 from '99 to present   .   '99-01 were virtually the same  , '02 -04 carried the same engine over to a mildly updated chassis, and '05+ carried the same engine forward with the aluminum chassis, geometry and performance are similar across the board

The 06 + SSS forks are a bonus if you ride MX and you don't need to get the suspension overhauled anyway for your weight and riding ability,  but the open bath forks used from '99-05 can be just as good if not better with springs and a re-valve

A rider on a well maintained and preserved 99-01 YZ with suspension tuned to his/her preferences is giving up very little to newer machinery  ---------   but , and this is the elephant in the room with any used bike -- these bikes are getting old and the chances of getting good machinery dwindle every year. 

I have a $3500 rule regarding old race bikes, and there are 2 ways to get there

Option 1 is to buy the cleanest '07 - '10 bike of your choosing for 2800-3000, - then add fresh tires, gearing, and possibly springs  -- then just go ride - that would be $3500

Option 2 would be to buy an older bike for 1500-2000 , then replace the same tires, springs, gearing, top end, crank end bearings, possibly clutch, fork seals, all dried out rubber components -- that would also cost close to $3500 and perhaps more if you factor in the time it took you to get a bike that you know won't leave you walking and fixing a decade of previous owner's goof-ups

but sometimes you get lucky with used bikes (I rarely do though, which is why i'm pretty pessimistic about older machinery in general)

• Like 1