Can someone tell me more about a yz490 "venom"

im not quiet understanding this whole yz490 venom thing...  was it just one year that these bikes where made??? or was it every 490 ever made??

i did some research and apparently the where way to powerful and hurt or maimed anyone who rode it.

does anyone have any specs on this bike??? was this bike really as powerful as people say it is?? 

any specs would be much appreciated!!! 

im not quiet understanding this whole yz490 venom thing...  was it just one year that these bikes where made??? or was it every 490 ever made??

i did some research and apparently the where way to powerful and hurt or maimed anyone who rode it.

does anyone have any specs on this bike??? was this bike really as powerful as people say it is?? 

any specs would be much appreciated!!! 

I am unaware of what you are talking about with this venom thing?? As for the older YZ490 it has about 46 to 47HP with a pretty steep power curve. Just putting around in first you can easily go 20 Mph from what I remember and it has a 4 speed tranny if I remember correctly.

Edited by Zrt1200

I found this somewhere else,,pert near sums it up how I feel after owning one and "trying" to make it work right.

"A mystique? Mate there's no mystique about the 490 motor. I raced them in the 80's There is nothing about this bike I don't know. ALL OF THEM come with a misshaped combustion chamber and incorrect port timing from the factory. They are impossible to tune, they detonate and ping like crazy. If you throw 2000.00 into the motor your almost but not quite as fast as a stock KX. The 490 motor could almost be used to run a farming irrigation pump but a Briggs & Straten would be a better choice"

i may happen to be a 490 lover myself, and im not sure why they were terrible bikes, i raced them in  the 80s, and i won plenty of motos on them, i raced this one in 09-10 before restoring it, and people always come in here and ask if its wicked fast,,,,,,aaaa no its not even  as fast as a good running kx85!

100_3628_sm.jpg

100_3628_sm.jpg

Beautiful resto, Pete. :worthy:

As far as the "Venom" name; it's probably just a nickname someone attached to their difficult-to-ride bike. Nothing special. I know of a 1989 CR250 named Red Death. :excuseme:

It's not like that particular 490 was a factory one-off special. The text in the video was amusing and revealing. But I did like the diamond plate seat cover!

Great looking 490 . I have a buddy who has an early 90's with maybe 5 rides on it since new.It just sits over in the corner of his cabinet shop. If we can come to a mutual agreement I may wind up with it.They may not be everyones cup of tea but I knew a couple of guys who could flat haul on these in the late 80's! 

Edited by XRD4

Beautiful bike Pete!!!

For you guys who raced them much respect....I always think of the 490 when people complain about the handling of the new YZ450s:D

There is a easy fix for the 490 detro problem!! Any one with a lathe can fix the 490 detro problem thanks to Eric Gorr. Check out the link below for the head mod fix.

http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,569.0.html

Pete, thats a great looking 490!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Zrt1200

well, i have a choice between a IT490 or a YZ490 the IT is a 1985 and the yz is a 1986.

which would be the better choice??

did some research and sounds like the IT is a bit better..dont know about you guys.. 

:)

well, i have a choice between a IT490 or a YZ490 the IT is a 1985 and the yz is a 1986.

which would be the better choice??

did some research and sounds like the IT is a bit better..dont know about you guys.. 

:)

The It wont have as much power as the YZ mostly because of the baffle in the exhaust. But the It is going to be more friendly for trail riding and still have plenty of power to climb any thing. It boils down to what you want to do with the bike?? Look around in the It forum I previously posted in both the IT and YZ sections. There is bike test results on that forum for both so you will get a better under standing of what each will do. But I dont think a YZ 490 would be happy going 5-10MPH in some tight trails. On the other hand if you are into going mach II with your hair smoldering I would be looking at the YZ. JMO

...On the other hand if you are into going mach II with your hair smoldering I would be looking at the YZ.

LOL!

Quote of the Day!

I have a  86 Yz490 vs Kx500 pdf file test with dyno graph if any one is interested. I am not sure how to post it so if you want it PM me your e-mail address and I would be more than happy to send it to you guys.