Sign in to follow this  

1983 XR 500 R

Gday all.

Just purchasd a original 83 XR 500 with only 3000klms on the odo.

Couldn't find a relevant thread so if theres a few people out there who are familiar with the make, by all means pass on your tips and knowledge.

I haven't taken possession yet it has to be shipped across Australia.

Gidday..You're in the right place for the RFVC500..I don't have anything much to offer on tips apart from saying keep the oil and stuff changed regular..1000-1500k changes is about right unless it was being punished in races. Course you'll no doubt already know any XR/XL/XRL 600/650 engine will go in the frame if you wanted a change..3000ks huh,,hardly run in..Must be in pretty good condition. Post a few pics when it gets across the Nullabor.,Few 500s for sale down here at the moment though a bit over priced at $3500..I sold my 600 engined 500 for about $1300..bloke got a bargain with that machine. A very comfy ride are the 500s. Everything about the geometry of the frame and setup just felt right.

Edited by Horri

You'll notice that Honda had 2 design crews produce them and they didn't work together when it came to footpeg placement. And the frame is much tighter than a 600. It's harder to get the engine in and out because the frame is about 3/4" shorter than an 85-87 600. Slightly more crowded ergonomics than a 600.

It's easier for us to answer pointed questions than open-ended ones like "what can you tell about this bike model?" I could write an essay, but I don't want to. Lots of relevant background information always helps too.

The '83-84 XR500 is a close relative of the XL600 and predecessor to the XR600. The engine is Honda's RFVC design used for the '83-84 XR500, '83-87 XL600, and '85-87 XR600. The architecture is still used with the 650L, but the top end, among other things, was changed in '88, so the XR500 has what I consider the "first generation" engine. It shares cases and a crankshaft with an XL600R (75mm stroke), but the bore is only 92mm and the wrist pin is smaller. The head chamber is smaller than 600s have and depending on what world market the bike was for, the valves could be smaller too. Don't be intimidated by the twin carbs; they are not as scary as everyone makes them out to be. Get them tuned, keep them clean, and you will be rewarded with performance approaching that of a pumper carb combined with better fuel economy than a single carb.

Hi guys, new to all this. I am rebuilding a1983 XR RE, the magneto cover is damaged due to the chain braking in an earlier incident and it wrapped itself around the front sprocket. This damaged the magneto cover. I am trying to source a new cover or an wondering do later model covers or that of the XR 600 fit? Does anybody know if there is interchangeability with this part? Thanks

Yep..Any cover from an RFVC 600 fits,,XL/XR..matters not what year,,Any 83 through to 2000 models stator cover will do..

Make sure you get that cup that goes into the hole on the end of the clutch actuator arm in correctly when you stick the new cover on.

The thing tends to fall out or get dislodged from it's correct orientation in the hole and people end up with no clutch on reassembly..seen

it 3-4 times here when people pull a stator cover..

Edited by Horri

Thanks Horri, I will look for later model units and will head your advice re. The cup. I was trying to work out how to get the clutch mechanism out as I think I have a slight oil leak from there. But I have the manual so I will just need to read more.

Thanks.

Hi guys, new to all this. I am rebuilding a1983 XR RE, the magneto cover is damaged due to the chain braking in an earlier incident and it wrapped itself around the front sprocket. This damaged the magneto cover. I am trying to source a new cover or an wondering do later model covers or that of the XR 600 fit? Does anybody know if there is interchangeability with this part? Thanks

The flywheel cover is deeper for a 600 and the crank is longer by about 1/4". The flywheels are the same but due to the difference in the cover you might have to get a 500 cover. I found this out when I assumed they were the same and tried to put the shallower 500 cover on a 600.

The flywheel cover is deeper for a 600 and the crank is longer by about 1/4". The flywheels are the same but due to the difference in the cover you might have to get a 500 cover. I found this out when I assumed they were the same and tried to put the shallower 500 cover on a 600.

Ah,,right,,I assumed they were the same..Cover from a 600 being deeper might cause some problem with the stator clearance to the

flywheel. From what I know of that area distances are kind of important to the charging/electrical system..

I'll pm the poster to let him know to have a look here and maybe revise plans.

Thanks guys appreciate the heads up and advice. Will see how I go. I might have to repair my case with some welding. Cheers.