Sign in to follow this  

How much do you think my CRF230F is worth?

I have a 2006 CRF 230F and i might be selling it soon to get a bigger bike. Well my dad thinks i will only get about $1500 for it after i finish with all the touch ups. This is everything i have done to it so far: I recently changed fork seals, Renthal handlebars, Pro Tapper grips, light switch with a kill switch made into it, front headlight, new front and back tires, bigger sprocket in the back, o-ring chain, jetted, baffle and air box mod, new battery, and that's all i can think of right now. But since winter is here and deer season is opening i cant ride, so i'm gonna put some money into it. I'm gonna get: new fork boots, new starter, new brakes and rear brake rod, new air filter(K&N), new foot pegs, paint the frame,new screw for hand guard, and that's all i can think of besides plastics. But when i take everything apart i am going to clean everything, the air box, motor, anything i can, and i might check the clutch, and check the motor. I'm basically stripping the bike alway apart and cleaning/checking everything. give me as much advise as possible, anything i could do to it, i would really appreciate it, thanks!

If you google search kelley blue book motorcycle value it should show you a site that will give you a good starting price based on your zipcode. And considering the condition its in from what you said you can probably price it a couple hundred above the kbb value, hope this helps

I have a 2006 CRF 230F and i might be selling it soon to get a bigger bike. Well my dad thinks i will only get about $1500 for it after i finish with all the touch ups. This is everything i have done to it so far: I recently changed fork seals, Renthal handlebars, Pro Tapper grips, light switch with a kill switch made into it, front headlight, new front and back tires, bigger sprocket in the back, o-ring chain, jetted, baffle and air box mod, new battery, and that's all i can think of right now. But since winter is here and deer season is opening i cant ride, so i'm gonna put some money into it. I'm gonna get: new fork boots, new starter, new brakes and rear brake rod, new air filter(K&N), new foot pegs, paint the frame,new screw for hand guard, and that's all i can think of besides plastics. But when i take everything apart i am going to clean everything, the air box, motor, anything i can, and i might check the clutch, and check the motor. I'm basically stripping the bike alway apart and cleaning/checking everything. give me as much advise as possible, anything i could do to it, i would really appreciate it, thanks!

it's worth about $1500..
  • Like 1

"Mods" tend to be worth little or may even be detrimental to a sale value,  and while it is nice to have new parts and show a fresh bike it may also not be worth the cost. Do whatever is low buck and fix what needs to be fixed, besides that...don't spend money on something you have owned and are about to sell.

Wash and clean, make sure it runs right, fix any of the simple stuff that affects your sale.

If you google search kelley blue book motorcycle value it should show you a site that will give you a good starting price based on your zipcode. And considering the condition its in from what you said you can probably price it a couple hundred above the kbb value, hope this helps

Aight, thanks man!

"Mods" tend to be worth little or may even be detrimental to a sale value,  and while it is nice to have new parts and show a fresh bike it may also not be worth the cost. Do whatever is low buck and fix what needs to be fixed, besides that...don't spend money on something you have owned and are about to sell.

Wash and clean, make sure it runs right, fix any of the simple stuff that affects your sale.

Thanks for the information! That's what i'm trying to do, but since ill have the motor apart i'm gonna paint the frame and the exhaust pipe. Ill probably have it for another 4-6 months after deer season that's why i'm gonna try to make it look like a beauty. :thumbsup:  :smirk:

May I ask why you would be going into the motor? Factor in a gasket set into your costs if you go that route, and of course lubricant/oil filter.

May I ask why you would be going into the motor? Factor in a gasket set into your costs if you go that route, and of course lubricant/oil filter.

to replace seals and gaskets, 

I just sold my 03 230 for 1400, the motor was all stock it just ha a few bolt on thing like bark busters, skid plate, bbr exhaust, and a few other things, I would say u might be able to get aroun 1800 for it if your patient and wait for the right customer. Also having a title for it adds value too and makes it easier to sell cause some people won't even buy a bike without one.

I just sold my 03 230 for 1400, the motor was all stock it just ha a few bolt on thing like bark busters, skid plate, bbr exhaust, and a few other things, I would say u might be able to get aroun 1800 for it if your patient and wait for the right customer. Also having a title for it adds value too and makes it easier to sell cause some people won't even buy a bike without one.

Ok, thanks man, i'm probably gonna put somewhere around $400.00-$500.00 in it

Ok, thanks man, i'm probably gonna put somewhere around $400.00-$500.00 in it

What these guys are saying makes sense...If you are planning to sell the bike putting money into it is crazy. Clean it up good and sell it. Use the 4 or 500 bucks for your new bike. You could put that money in to it, it won't be worth any more than it is now. I sold my 06 230 for 1600 bucks 3 years ago after one serious ride on it, your bike is worth what an 06 230 is worth, regardless of how new the gaskets are :).

Oh, I agree with your dad, 1500 is a realistic number. I got lucky and sold mine quick, sometimes those things hang on craigslist forever around here. Save your 400, sell it for 1500= 1900= very nice 125 2 stroke....

Edited by poldies4

What these guys are saying makes sense...If you are planning to sell the bike putting money into it is crazy. Clean it up good and sell it. Use the 4 or 500 bucks for your new bike. You could put that money in to it, it won't be worth any more than it is now. I sold my 06 230 for 1600 bucks 3 years ago after one serious ride on it, your bike is worth what an 06 230 is worth, regardless of how new the gaskets are :).

Oh, I agree with your dad, 1500 is a realistic number. I got lucky and sold mine quick, sometimes those things hang on craigslist forever around here. Save your 400, sell it for 1500= 1900= very nice 125 2 stroke....

Thanks man I'm gona take your advise, I'm 5"8 do you think I could ride a cr 125?

Is the bike ragged out? I would put as little money as possible in too it. You won't recover the money in the long run.

Just fix the obvious stuff.. I wouldn't paint the frame either. Never works right. You would need to powder coat it.

You should be able to find a nice 2 stroke 125 for $1500-1800.

I would say no more than 1500-1600 for the bike.  If it isn't broke, don't fix it in order to sell.

You can still strip it down and "clean" it up, Then reassemble, But don't go through the trouble of painting and such, Its just no point to it.

If I were looking for an 06 bike, I would pic the one with stock plastics and a little dirty over one that has been completely refurbished.

Thanks man I'm gona take your advise, I'm 5"8 do you think I could ride a cr 125?

I assume you can...5'8" is plenty tall for one. IMO a 125 2 stroke would be a good next step bike, as long as it's 98-99 or newer they are all pretty good. If your budget is 1500-2000 you should be at least in the 03 or 04 range. Sometimes an 06 or newer YZ pops up for a reasonable price, that would be an excellent bike if you can find one.

Like very one else said u should not dump money into the bike if it's not nessicary. Save the money and put it into your new machine. I sold my 230 for 1400 and bought an 04 cr125 for the same price in better condition than my 230 was in. But every used bike is gonna need stuff fixed or replaced. I've had the cr for about a month and already put aroud 400 in it