HELP! First time riding in sand.

So when i was younger like 4th grade to 8th i had an 80cc. I used to ride it on just open grass field or roads in illinois. Now i just bought a honda crf 450. the thing is i havnt rode a dirtbike in awhile  "6 years" and am about to go out to glamis/superstition to ride this weekend. Anyone have tips for SAND/DUNE riding. thanks for reading and responding.

Well, with my 250 I have to lean back and stay on the gas. Now, that is in Walden where sand has more moisture than Glamis, so I am assuming you won't have as much of an issue. The 450 has a bit more power so really you should be able to just throttle right through no issue. Play around with air pressure in front tire. Let us know what works best.

I'm from SD. There is a pretty big difference between superstition and glamis in that if you go to glamis you should run a paddle, and superstition you run a knobby. It's really just learning to get a feel for it. Stand up, stay loose, let the bike 'wander' under you, you'll get a rhythm. You have to keep your momentum up to crest hills, but don't go over any blind edges faster then you can get your self stopped incase it drops off.

In  agreement, I recommend superstition first it has combo of sand,mudhills and open desert great place to start by way i live in Imperial.  Superstition is a very good place to take your time to  learn what you and the bike can do.

If you're going to Glamis, you need a paddle tire. Otherwise you won't be able to move anywhere. Throttle is your friend in sand, as others have said above, get off the seat, lean back a little, and just let the bike move underneath you. Try to keep your upper body static and just let the bike do its thing.

Just to add with what has already been said, in addition to scooting further back on the seat, and keeping on the throttle... Also try to focus on squeezing the tank with your knees and keep yourself from death gripping the bars, just let your arms relax a bit, keep a decent enough grip so you don't let go but don't lock your arms up and try to fight the bike. It sounds counter intuitive but when on sand you kinda let the front end wander were it wants and make corrections to your coarse as needed. When I'm on sand I focus specifically on gripping more with my legs than my hands and arms... This helps me a lot.

If you're going to Glamis, you need a paddle tire. Otherwise you won't be able to move anywhere. Throttle is your friend in sand, as others have said above, get off the seat, lean back a little, and just let the bike move underneath you. Try to keep your upper body static and just let the bike do its thing.

+1