Sign in to follow this  

Broken clip = destroyed stator

Recently replace the stator and the clip that holds the wiring down must have bent and snapped off from fatigue after a couple hundred miles, destroyed the new stator. Looks like this clamp is aluminum and not very flexible, be careful if you have to do this job.

IMG_20131022_174154.jpg

IMG_20131022_174209.jpg

Edited by Prater

The wire guide is steel, and when installed correctly has virtually no stress placed on it,, it is not a failure prone item, and  really I've never read or seen one fail like yours....

More likely the guide was not installed correctly which is common, and caused the failure. Thats the good news.. as it means you can replace the stator, be sure of installing it correctly and you should see a normal service life.

I looked at this more closely and the clip is magnetic so it must be steel, it looks like it was sheared off with force so I suspect it was sitting up a bit an caught the outside of the flywheel.

Bummer Prater.

Did you do the stator loctite fix too?

You should read up in the FAQ if you didnt.

Eric as a suggestion:this (or something similar) may be a nice addition to the stator loctite fix.

"Take care to install the clip that holds the wire down is installed correctly.

If it sits up it may catch the flywheel and wreak havoc.

Bummer Prater.

Did you do the stator loctite fix too?

You should read up in the FAQ if you didnt.

Eric as a suggestion:this (or something similar) may be a nice addition to the stator loctite fix.

"Take care to install the clip that holds the wire down is installed correctly.

If it sits up it may catch the flywheel and wreak havoc.

It's  there, along with pictures of how it should be installed..

There is no end to the number of incorrect ways to do something..cant write about um all. And this way is not common at all... the common mistake is not putting the wires under the guide.

The retainer was not installed correctly,if the screw in the picture with the broken guide is still tight.. then Id have to guess the guide was bent at some point, or installed with the long flat tang not in position covering the wires....

No matter, done is done.

Installed correctly, as depicted in the FAQ article... no worrys

This is timely for me, I'm due to install an upgraded stator soon. If the info is already in the FAQ I would'a seen it tho. I'm a stickler for reading the info. (NOT!) :D

This is timely for me, I'm due to install an upgraded stator soon. If the info is already in the FAQ I would'a seen it tho. I'm a stickler for reading the info. (NOT!) :D

Upgraded?

What is "upgraded" about it?