Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke or 2 stroke

Looking to buy a 250 but been told it's like riding a souped up 125 if it is a four stroke but two strokes are becoming increasingly difficult to find. So wait for a 2 stroke or go 4 stroke? I originally rode a pos 93 yz 125 which I loved the power when it actually ran.

Im slightly seasoned and used to two strokes. Im spending 1350 for this bike pretty clean by the look and parts out on it

Looking to buy a 250 but been told it's like riding a souped up 125 if it is a four stroke but two strokes are becoming increasingly difficult to find. So wait for a 2 stroke or go 4 stroke? I originally rode a pos 93 yz 125 which I loved the power when it actually ran.

A 250 is nothing like a 125. Not sure who told you that. If you loved the power of a 125, you'll be happy with a 250 4stroke. How much do you weight & where you ride would have a lot to do with what you should get. 2strokes are plentiful on CL. No shortage there. With the budget of $1350, you'll get more bang for your buck with a 250 smoker. For that, you could find up to an 05 around here. I saw an 05 cr250 online yesterday for $1500. 2strokes would be best of your on a budget.

Except for a 450 but not looking to die

If you can ride a 125 you can ride a 450. I jump back and fourth between my kx 250 and my buddy's crf 450 all the time The 450 has more power for sure but it's easier to ride than my 250 or 125. It's scarry if you make it scary but I feel like my 2 stroke is scarier do to the violent light switch power they produce. I also rode my buddy's yzf 250 and didn't like it compared to my kx 250. And it's 10+ years newer than mine. 250 4 strokes suck imo but I'm a die hard 2 stroke lover. 4 strokes are to predictable and "smooth" for me. All that said if I was looking for a bike in your budget I'd get a 250 2 stroke or even a 125 if the other options a 250 4 stroke.

2007 Mx of nations.

Good point. RV smoked the world on his 07 kxf250, including 450s, in both motos...

They are far from slow if you know how to ride the bike. We don't drag race dirtbikes, we ride tracks & trails. The smoother & more predictable a bike is, in good theory, the more comfortable you should be & in return you should be much faster. A bike doesn't have to make 55hp to go fast. HP isn't what's going to make you fast, it's how you ride the bike because of how good/smooth it handles, IMHO...

I went from an rmz450 to a crf250r & my riding was night & day. I am waaayy faster/more fluid on a 250 because it's very smooth, predictable & just easy to go fast. I can fly through the woods without feeling like I might die at any sec. The 450 would just rip my arms off & wear me out. I ride with 250 2s, 300 2s, 450s & they are no faster than me in the woods. I'm actually faster in sections because some of them have bikes that are to much to open up on a single track. Only time their faster is a dirt road. Big whoopy ; p

Edited by GoonSquadCRFx
  • Like 1