Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel and air impact

You guys ever install a flywheel weight without an air impact?  Is it do-able?  I'm gonna purchase the "lock up tool" that goes up top and a flywheel puller.  Do I need anything else, or should it be pretty straight forward....just don't feel like buying an air impact

thanks dudes

If the lock up tool your referring too, threads into the sparkplug hole and extends down in and holds the piston from moving, then yes, that should work just fine. In a pinch, you can just stuff rope down thru the sparkplug hole, leaving one end still sticking out, and then rotate the piston until it can't compress the rope anymore, and this will hold the crank in place too.

impacts work good for flywheel pullers on tapered shafts because the forces  it sends through the parts    but for just putting them on or removing /installing  the retaining nut

I agree an  impact isn't necessary

you can just stuff rope down thru the sparkplug hole, leaving one end still sticking out,

You gotta include ALL the details when giving advice!  You never know who is reading it!

• Like 2

I can't imagine a situation I would be in, and in sheer desperation, use an impact to install a flywheel if I had the torque specs.  If it's 100 ft.lbs., you wouldn't know if you just did 75 ft.lbs. or 300.  I know some impact wrenches are adjustable but the adjustment says A-B-C-D, or 1-2-3-4.  You don't really know what it will end up.  I'd be looking for that rope.

I did not remove the plug at all. I know I used basic wrenches, ratchet and socket, flywheel puller, and torque wrench to do mine. If I remember correctly I locked a wrench against foot peg to break the nut free with puller from the tapered shaft.

whats an "impact wrench" ?

LOL

edit  NM found one

\\\

image008.jpg

Edited by Zimman
  • Like 2

Or, if you have your right side case off for any reason you can jam a penny between the primary gear and the clutch to lock up the crank.  Less weird stress on the piston/rod that way.

• Like 1

whats an "impact wrench" ?

LOL

edit  NM found one

\\\

image008.jpg

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing but didn't have time to do the pix!

Or, if you have your right side case off for any reason you can jam a penny between the primary gear and the clutch to lock up the crank.  Less weird stress on the piston/rod that way.

the rope isn't really weird stress since that's where the combustion cycle takes place  it's the same forces

it just seems ghetto   LOL