Sign in to follow this  

Yz450f or Xr650r?

I just recently bought a 2008 Yz450f, i'm very happy with the bike, overall,  I'd like something a little more powerful and faster though, how does a 650r compare overall?  I've never rode one, someone said i'd be more happy with the Yz but i'd l like to get more opinions.  are they faster then the yz? i do not track ride only trail.  

I find it hard to believe anyone needs more power than a yz450f for the trails. A 650 is a totally different beast in the woods than your 450. Much heavier feeling and handling. Without mods 650 probably wont feel more 'powerful'. I dont recommend 650 for trail riding unless you are 7 ft tall, 300+ lbs.

No, the 450 is fine for the trails, it is by no means to much though, i can easily handle it wide open 1st. 2nd, & 3rd in most of the trals around me.  I would like to have more, but i'm not really complaining.  Just wondering if the 650r would be that extra "push" i'd like to have.       What about a Ktm505? anyone know anything about those? how does it compare to a 450?

Maybe it's time for a 500 2 stroke.

Every one of the guys I've known who had a 500 2st had always at least one cast on some body part! Probably lack of skill though.

Anyways, I can't imagine thinking that a yz450f is not fast enough lol.

• Like 1

You won't be able to open full throttle and hold it on xr650r anywhere but pavement and wot, becouse it's too heavy to turn quickly and the stock fork doesn't always allow it  :)

It has certain fun factor to it and like 'look what I can do on that heavy pig' thing, it has low end grunt and can be riden pretty slow as well as fast enough to keep up with yz450f with certain skills. So if you realy want something faster and not the feeling that you're going too fast on the flying pig, then you probably need to try something ktm-like, over 500cc first, you aren't ready for the BRP yet!  :D

Edited by MCVL

Maybe it's time for a 500 2 stroke.

I have a Kx500, but it's a pig on gas, i can never get more then an hour out of it if i'm lucky,        and with 93 mix full synth it's not cheap...  

if your just looking for something more powerful and faster i think you need to buy a kawasaki kx500 with nitro... 

i just sold my yz450f and just bought a xr650r.

you are comparing apples to oranges my friend... the yz450f is a mx bike with light flywheel and close ratio transmission, with a high rpm engine that is high maintenence ... the power is big and violent, the speed is slow from the transmission and gearing, but you will reach your top speed in a heartbeat.

the xr650r is a offroad, desert bike, with heavy flywheel and wide ration transmission with a more relax engine andlow maintenece engine, the power is just as big but less violent, the speed is fast! from its wideratio transmission and gearing, it will take longer to reach its top speed but will be a lot more ! 

I ride baja this is why i chose this bike, it was made for it !, and i can keep up with crf450x bikes in the technical stuff but i get beat up more because this bike is heavy while the yz was very light... maybe 80lbs more

The 08 and 09 YZF's had very restricted stock mufflers.   If you want a bit of a boost , try a DR D or ProCircuit full exhaust system on it -- then make sure the bike is jetted properly  for the better flowing exhaust

A YZF450 is already faster than an XR650 for 90% of the riding conditions most people encounter outside of the desert

If you are referencing the bike in your avatar, that bike is an '07 (judging from the graphics and the long muffler - but you should be able to track the VIN down online somewhere)     and should not have the choked down muffler the 08 has, but an exhaust system (not a slip on) will still help

The 08 and 09 YZF's had very restricted stock mufflers.   If you want a bit of a boost , try a DR D or ProCircuit full exhaust system on it -- then make sure the bike is jetted properly  for the better flowing exhaust

A YZF450 is already faster than an XR650 for 90% of the riding conditions most people encounter outside of the desert

If you are referencing the bike in your avatar, that bike is an '07 (judging from the graphics and the long muffler - but you should be able to track the VIN down online somewhere)     and should not have the choked down muffler the 08 has, but an exhaust system (not a slip on) will still help

it is a 2007.    i didn't mean to put 2008.     And the exhaust from the 07 - 08 is the same exact thing.    06 - 09 is almost the same bike, But i do think regardless i do need to dump a few mods into it, i've been thinking about getting stage 2 hotcams, and a fmf 4.1 full exhaust system with a powerbomb, i think that will wake my bike up and give me the slight extra boost i'm hoping for.        and for those saying i need a kx500, i have a kx500 it's a pig on gas, barley get an hour out of a full tank, it's to expensive to ride, And it honestly feels the same as my 450 only with that hard hitting powerband.

it is a 2007.    i didn't mean to put 2008.     And the exhaust from the 07 - 08 is the same exact thing.    06 - 09 is almost the same bike, But i do think regardless i do need to dump a few mods into it, i've been thinking about getting stage 2 hotcams, and a fmf 4.1 full exhaust system with a powerbomb, i think that will wake my bike up and give me the slight extra boost i'm hoping for.        and for those saying i need a kx500, i have a kx500 it's a pig on gas, barley get an hour out of a full tank, it's to expensive to ride, And it honestly feels the same as my 450 only with that hard hitting powerband.

\

Pic below of one of my old '08's the day I brought it home.     The exhaust is definitely not  the  "exact same thing" as an '07   and Yamaha kept tuning the chassis up until 09 trying to get it to turn without standing up in the tight stuff, or crawling out of ruts.   The cam profile is different for all these years too

The longer conventional muffler on the 07 helps it make more power than the 08 and 09's  .   The 08's and 09's weren't weak, far from it ----  but they needed a little help to carry the stock gearing for a fast intermediate or expert rider.    This is entirely due to the shorty muffler as well as a smoother cam prfile thn the 06's and 07's

The bike makes enough power stock as long as it is in tune and there is nothing wrong with it ---- YZF's  are motocross bikes, not trail bikes, and in those years had what is generally referred to as a "lap time motor"   ---- they didn't feel fast because there wasn't a huge hit, but folks routinely were able to pull down impressive lap times on these bikes, as well, the smoother power helps you maintain the lap times longer

If you have a long history with fast 2 strokes like your KX, any 450 will feel deceptively slow.     If you only ride off-road and your idea of fun is doing donuts at the trailhead parking lot, and drag racing quads -- then go ahead and add a cam , valves , and new valvesprings plus an exhaust.     

But if you want to add trophies to the shelf in your garage,  perhaps add a Dr D full exhaust (or a PC) --- then add gas, maintain it and enjoy it

08 YZF with stock exhaust and shorty "ice cream cone" muffler

yz450002.jpg

What kind of riding are you doing.  The YZ450F and the XR650R have 2 completely different target audiences.  The YZ is a motocross bike and is set up more for accelerating hard out of corners and clearing large jumps.  The XR is probably one of the best open desert bikes of all time.  If you wanted to ride at around 80 mph through the desert aka Baja1000 style then the XR is a better choice. 

I am not saying the YZ can not be set up for the desert.  Just for sustained high speed running the XR may be better bike.

\

Pic below of one of my old '08's the day I brought it home.     The exhaust is definitely not  the  "exact same thing" as an '07   and Yamaha kept tuning the chassis up until 09 trying to get it to turn without standing up in the tight stuff, or crawling out of ruts.   The cam profile is different for all these years too

The longer conventional muffler on the 07 helps it make more power than the 08 and 09's  .   The 08's and 09's weren't weak, far from it ----  but they needed a little help to carry the stock gearing for a fast intermediate or expert rider.    This is entirely due to the shorty muffler as well as a smoother cam prfile thn the 06's and 07's

The bike makes enough power stock as long as it is in tune and there is nothing wrong with it ---- YZF's  are motocross bikes, not trail bikes, and in those years had what is generally referred to as a "lap time motor"   ---- they didn't feel fast because there wasn't a huge hit, but folks routinely were able to pull down impressive lap times on these bikes, as well, the smoother power helps you maintain the lap times longer

If you have a long history with fast 2 strokes like your KX, any 450 will feel deceptively slow.     If you only ride off-road and your idea of fun is doing donuts at the trailhead parking lot, and drag racing quads -- then go ahead and add a cam , valves , and new valvesprings plus an exhaust.     

But if you want to add trophies to the shelf in your garage,  perhaps add a Dr D full exhaust (or a PC) --- then add gas, maintain it and enjoy it

08 YZF with stock exhaust and shorty "ice cream cone" muffler

yz450002.jpg

I know the 450's weren't "exactly" the same through 06 - 09 but they where generally the same bike, no major upgrades / breakthroughs took place until 2010 when the bike received a huge overall.  03 - 05       06 - 09    10 - 13   and now the 14.

"Enough power" is a very opinionated term.   if it was producing enough power i wouldn't be making this thread, questioning to keep it or a get a 650r.   The bike is tuned properly and has absolutely no problems at all.     I have no history on 2 strokes at all, i don't like them generally. I got the kx500 off my father for 1500 bucks, i can tell you right now from experience the comment "any 450 will feel deceptively slow"  is horrible wrong.  The kx is long, heavy, and has the suspension of a rock. I'm almost twice as fast in the woods on the 450 then i am on the kx because of it's horribly dated suspension,  long body, & weight combined with the front end always wanting to come up or the back end always wanting to spin spin spin.  I mainly have the kx as a fun bike i can take out on rare occasions, just for the "oh look a 500!" type factor..

I don't ride track so i'm not looking for trophies, i trail ride & go on long adventure rides / and i do some  home-made hair scrambles, along with some hill climbs.  I'm looking for a "slight" powerboost, and a smoother throttle response, so i figure a full exhaust? and or hotcams.  

By the way i posted this for advice, on getting a bike, or adding to my current one, i wasn't looking for smart remarks, or a history lesson, so anything besides what i'm looking for can be taken to the appropriate thread if you don't mind.

i go on long adventure trail rides, through the mountains and various slate dumps.  i also hillclimb a lot, and i enjoy riding in home-made hair scramble tracks, i know the xr would be difficult for the enduro stuff however.

What kind of riding are you doing.  The YZ450F and the XR650R have 2 completely different target audiences.  The YZ is a motocross bike and is set up more for accelerating hard out of corners and clearing large jumps.  The XR is probably one of the best open desert bikes of all time.  If you wanted to ride at around 80 mph through the desert aka Baja1000 style then the XR is a better choice. 

I am not saying the YZ can not be set up for the desert.  Just for sustained high speed running the XR may be better bike.

I was thinking maybe if you wanted more power but something less of a pig than the xr then maybe like a ktm 500 xc w or something of that nature? Not too much heavier than your 450 but more oomph.

Or maybe one of those big husabergs... Like a 530 I think they were?

I want the ktm 690 enduro r myself for dual sporting but screw the price of ktm lol. But hey if you can afford it!