400S and SM gearing for an easy swap?

I just bought a set of rims from a family friend and I should be getting them in a couple of days

My dike is an 01 400S

Was wondering what gearing people use so that you can just swap from the SM to dirt wheels ?

To make it easer for when I want to swap them out for the weather,dirt,ect.

What size front sprocket is the best to use ?

Currently got a 13/44 on the bike

And a 48 sprocket t

Just put on the 44 a few weeks back

Previous owner had a 13/48 rode it for 2.5K miles like that

Planning on putting a 14 or 15 back on the front

Edited by B S

I run 15/44 sm and 15/48 for dirt so I don't have to take links out of the chain. It's a bit of a compromise for me. I have an sm but I find myself in the woods much more than on the street. The 15/48 is pretty good for most trail riding. I wish i could go 14/48 or 14/50 sometimes. And the 15/44 on the sm wheels is more fun around town than the stock 15/41 but it's a bit buzzy on the highway. I'm thinking pretty hard about buying the wide ratio gears and installing then over the winter.

I just bought a set of rims from a family friend and I should be getting them in a couple of days My dike is an 01 400S Was wondering what gearing people use so that you can just swap from the SM to dirt wheels ? To make it easer for when I want to swap them out for the weather,dirt,ect. What size front sprocket is the best to use ? Currently got a 13/44 on the bike And a 48 sprocket t Just put on the 44 a few weeks back Previous owner had a 13/48 rode it for 2.5K miles like that Planning on putting a 14 or 15 back on the front

15/47 is a really good compromise, for the 17" wheels and the 21/18 wheels. plenty of wheelie potential (street wheels) and plenty of hill climbing guts (off road) when needed. 

if you find this isn't low enough for you, here's what i run with two different chains for longevity and simplicity's sake:

no roads: 14/52 (21/18 wheels) top speed around 60mph

on road: 15/39 (17" wheels) top speed around illegal

cruising dirt/gravel roads in 21/18 mode with this gearings means instant wheelies without effort. 

cruising streets in 17" mode means never feeling over revved. 

I ride 95-99% on the street but i bought big heavy 50-50 tires because riding on gravel was a nightware with the street slicks.

Still lots of fun but the acceleration was lacking (for my hooligan ways), so I went with a 13T counter sprocket!

Oh man! Talk about acceleration. Took a hit on the top speed. 115-120 km/h (71-74 mph) maxed out!

If I were riding in the woods and much more technical stuff, I would go even lower gearing.

Idling with the clutch out with the 15T is around 15 km/h.

I ran my 21/18 Wheels with the stock 15/44 sprockets for the first 6000 miles getting used to the bike . I just dropped down a tooth up front to see how I'd like it . It was an improvement Offroad in the tight stuff , but on the road I deffinetly prefer the 15T . At 70 mph I was turning about 7000 rpm. My new 47t arrived today , I'm going to try it with a 15 t to see how the rpms compare . I figure Ill end up using 14/47 for dedicated trail use . And put the 15 /47 to use for day to day dual sport use . Then when Santa brings me some SM wheels I should have most situations covered (most) ultimately I see 3 sets of wheels . 1. Offroad only. 21/18 with Bad arse knobs 2. Dual sport 21/18 with long distance enduro tires. 3 . 17" SM wheels with 90/10 tread or something like that . Two chains will most likely be necessary . But if I can get away with just swapping front sprockets with wheel changes somehow I'm willing to compromise on the gearing a little .

Edited by Masshole DRZ

i have instant swap over with the same chain with 15/44 SM and 15/47 DIRT

i definently dont need anything lower for the dirt in my area, 2nd gear is most of the stuff im in, 1st in the single track where i ride, 3rd in open fields sometimes getting into 4th